I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum and the ETC light goes on and my car dies down when im on the road. Good thing is it starts back up. And my check engine light is on too. What would my problem be?

Dollie Mora

Asked by Dec 11, 2013 at 06:48 PM about the 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT

Norm Davis

ETC is often triggered by one of the two Accelerator Pedal Position Sensors. The CEL will always light up in this case, and may also shut down the engine. You may also have a problem with the PCM. You can do a couple of things yourself: Have the throttle body cleaned, and replace the t-stat. Have Autozone or PepBoys check the OBD trouble codes for you (its free). There is also a wiring harness in the steering column that goes wonky in Dodge Magnums. This can also trigger "incorrect" code issues. It is something only a qualified mechanic should attempt to fix. Good luck!

Norm Davis

I forgot to mention one 'trick' you should try: put the key in the "on" position, but don't start the car. Depress the gas pedal full to the floor, and then let go, all within 2 seconds. You should hear a "ding" sound indicating that the pedal travel distance has been reset in the PCM. Pedal position is electronically sensed at all engine conditions, and a misread can trigger the ETC code. You'll want to do this reset after you clean the throttle body, but try it first anyhow.

Miguel Carrasco

i have the same problem! recently the ETC light came on on my 05 dodge magnum i switch the throttle body on it already and the ETC light won't go away it stays flashing and it cuts off power on my engine any tips what might be causing this also i get H0700?

James Kelley

Tabiyus Bocky Perry

How do I reset the computer in my 2005 Dodge Magnum with a 2.7 my throttle light keeps coming on I need to get it resent or 6

Can I use another engine out of another dodge for my dodge magnum if I dont want the 2.7 anymore