what is the correct type of coolant for 2006 Dodge Stratus

Asked by Jan 28, 2015 at 08:03 PM about the 2006 Dodge Stratus SXT

270

Regular bright green anti-freeze will work just fine. I got rid of that Dex-cool in my truck but my truck is GM. I do not think mixing them is a good idea. Time for a radiator flush. That is pretty inexpensive procedure to have done. I have done it before myself but it is not worth it. I really don't think you save any money by doing it yourself.

4,735

NO!!! do not use the green here is the correct info for your vehicle right from the shop manual. the cooling system is designed around the coolant. The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the heat to the air. The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent ethylene glycol based coolant with hybrid organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% Ethylene Glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution. The green coolant MUST NOT BE MIXED with the orange or magenta coolants. When replacing coolant the complete system flush must be performed before using the replacement coolant.

Best Answer
49,425

Moparjohn is correct, many newer vehicles require special antifreeze / coolant.

270

So you are telling me that my anti-freeze needs to be special.(and more expensive) Tell us all about Dex-Cool then. How did that work out?

@Manipuflation My grandparents had my 2004 Stratus for a few years before I got it. I never checked/changed the anti-freeze in it and now I'm dealing with replacing my hardlines which are corroded. Want to guess what kind of fluid they had in it? Moparjohn is spot on with this one. That green stuff ate through my hardlines and those things are hell to replace.