I bought my car from an auctionis there any way for the me to find out what type of transmission that I have in my 2004 Dodge Stratus SXT withoutseeing a professional

Asked by Jun 20, 2015 at 06:22 PM about the 2004 Dodge Stratus SXT Coupe

I'm having trouble with it shifting from 1st gear into 2nd gear. We were concern it was
the TCM but having trouble knowing what it look like in my car because we can't seem
to find one that automotive or dealer says it should be. All the example the show does
not look like my motor. I read up on some people reviews and the say their problem
could be the Transmission input/output speed sensors. How can i help my self if I
don't know my own motor in my car.....

217,305

It's going to be tough for someone like yourself that has no clue what you really bought. I know you were trying to save money by purchasing a vehicle from an auto auction, but I tell buyers that the cars in the auctions are there for a reason. They are there because the dealers didn't want to spend the money to recondition them. Also people trade in cars when they can't fix issues. It's a crap shoot. Sometime you win, sometime you lose. Just from your description I would say you might have some serious transmission issues. Without more info and pics and possibly an engine and trans not original to the car it would be hard to diagnose over the internet. Bite the bullet and have a reputable trans shop in your area diagnose your issue and then you can decide if you want to repair it or dump it.

Thank You for your honest answer...

I know this is 10 months old, but curious if you ended up finding the answer you needed? I have a 2004 Stratus SXT Coupe. the engine and transmission are Mitsubishi. To be exact the engine is a 2.4L SOHC 4G64 and trans is a F4A42