Do Cold Cranking amps reall make a difference

Asked by Aug 18, 2013 at 09:33 PM about the 2006 Dodge Stratus SXT

Drive an 06 stratus 6 CYL. Needs a new Battery. A fella on here told me to go with one with 650. was just wondering what the difference is and if it really matters. I live in Northeast Alabama if climate makes a difference so its a little warmer here. Every search for batteries shows me 3 different CCA models

Yes it matters. Get the one that your vehicle calls for or one with more CCA. Never get one with less CCA than your vehicle calls for.

how do I find out what it calls for? I don't want to take the battery out until I get a new one being in the wheelwell and all plus we only have the one car.

I have always went with the highest CCA battery I could get. The colder your climate is the higher your Cold Cranking Amps should be. I personally like the Dry Cell batteries, no acid corrosion, very high cranking amps, excellent life and you can put them in any position you want.

Thank you. Because I really have no idea when it comes to this and I don't know whats stock for it and am having trouble finding that info online

I having trouble finding that info on line too. I would not go below 650 CCA. IMO anyways. More is better in this case.

Check your owner's manual or visit your local Dodge dealer's parts counter. They'll be able to tell you. Also, look on top of the old battery. If you can see it there is a number followed by the letters "CCA" (Cold Cranking Amps). HTH. -Jim