2001 Stratus is has a fuel leak. 2.4L DOHC engine. The leak is coming from under a "hat looking device" attached to the top middle of the fuel rail. Is this a pressure relief valve. Is it replaceable or do I have to replace the entire fuel rail? I don't believe it's a test port or schrader valve. The Haynes manual says to connect an adapter between the fuel line and rail to check fuel pressure. This is a returnless fuel system. Does anyone have a factory service manual that talks about this "hat" on the fuel rail. Thanks for any info you can give.

Asked by Nov 23, 2014 at 07:02 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus SE

2001 Stratus  has a fuel leak.  2.4L DOHC engine.  The leak is coming from under a "hat looking device" attached to the top middle of the fuel rail.  Is this a pressure relief valve?  Is it replaceable or do I have to replace the entire fuel rail?  I don't believe it's a test port or schrader valve.  The Haynes manual says to connect an adapter between the fuel line and rail to check fuel pressure.  This is a returnless fuel system.  Does anyone have a factory service manual that talks about this "hat" on the fuel rail.  Thanks for any info you can give.

60

it' s a fuel pulsation damper. it is not replaceable. it has a Chrysler part number but you cannot order it. I removed it and found an O ring that could be replaced. I thought the o- rings looked OK and fit very tight so I didn't replace it. I was concerned the device itself was leaking so I did not want to chance it. my solution was to take the appropriate sized rubber stopper and plug the hole. I also used a brass cap that I made from a flare fitting cap grinding out the thread so it would fit nicely. I use the stainless steel hose clamp to go around the cap And the fuel rail to secure everything in place. now my only concern is if the rubber stopper will deteriorate from gasoline and alcohol exposure. I don't know what material the stopper is made from it could be neoprene I hope. This saved me a hundred twenty bucks on a new fuel rail and injector o rings