Fuel pump

30

Asked by Nov 07, 2016 at 12:24 PM about the 1999 Chrysler Cirrus 4 Dr LXi Sedan

I have a 1999 Chrysler cirrus lxi. Broke down the
other day. My mechanic just told me I need a new
fuel pump. Said the part cost $394 and about 3
and a half hrs labor. Does that sound about right?
And is it something my son might be able to do
himself?

92,905

Seems high for the part, but labor time is about right. Remember you handling fuel and when you start a job like this the fumes are more concentrated in one area, just make sure there are no ignition sources around when you start moving the fuel from tank to cans and back again, so if your son has any king of mechanical training he should be able to do this job safely.

30

Well we went with the mechanic doing the job but with a cheaper fuel pump. He put it in also with a new fuel filter and the car still won't start. He made it clear to me that with the old pump he didn't hear it grinding but with this one he does which says to me there was definitely something wrong with the old one. He said he disconnected something and when he tries to start the car it's suppose to spit out gas and it's not which obviously says no gas is going to the engine. Not good to hear your mechanic sound stumped by this. He said tomorrow he's gonna double check his work and if everything seems fine he's gonna exchange the pump and hope that there's something faulty with it. Any ideas what else it could be?

60,665

Call a Chrysler dealer and see what the part costs. That price does seem very high.

30

He swapped the new pump with another new one and he said it's now doing what it's suppose to. Obviously the first "new" one was faulty. The problem now? Still not starting. He believes it's the crank sensor. I asked him if the old fuel pump could cause a problem with the crank sensor or vice versa. He said no. Could this just be a coincidence or could the sensor have been the problem from the beginning. If he's being honest he said he knows for a fact there was something wrong with the original pump. Obviously I don't trust mechanic.

92,905

He is right about the fact that the two are not related, he can check for a wave form on a lab scope for the crank sensor to verify it is bad, and yes they do go bad. Has he hooked up a "live data" scanner to it yet?