does my Chrysler sebring convertible top 2001 have a motor or use hydraulic fluid?

Asked by Nov 21, 2013 at 05:40 PM about the 2001 Chrysler Sebring LX Convertible

the top struggles on the way up and then stops.  I smell gears burning. Is it a Motor or hydraulic fluid?

3,485

The top lift employs a hydraulic system which pressurizes pistons which in turn raise or lower the top. Commonly, these pistons seals can leak over time, causing issues like you experience. The pump is behind the rear seat, examination of lines, pump and cylinders will expose the problem. The fix is messy and time consuming, I'd check with a body or top shop for advice and service.

The pump is not super complicated to get to. Remove seat upper and lower behind the seat upper is a small compartment the small device is the pump the filling process can be messy, rags and a good degreaser will be needed such as castrols purple stuff works xelent you should be able to see the four 10mm bolts securing the pump w two hard plastic lines attached use care moving the pump w lines connected as they have been heatedbfrozen and exposed to oil, can be brittle and not fun to route and replace the line should have a horseshoe looking clip a large butter tub will be needed to capture the bulk of fluid, w lines disconnected remove electrical connections remove pump from car on the end that looks like a can w a plug 13mm I believe remove plug (opening up) you can use standard hydraulic oil fill to 1/2 in or so below opening. Install fill plug. Reverse procedure. Before all that if you live in a wet climate wd-40 all piviot points the top is rubber backed so no need to worry about oil stains on fabric spray from inside out. Hope that helps