The key to my 2006 New Beetle TDI won't turn in the ignition

Asked by Jul 06, 2011 at 11:41 AM about the 2006 Volkswagen Beetle TDi

This has happened a few times before and all I would have to do is turn the wheel at the same time as I turned the key. Now the steering wheel is locked and I can't get it to turn at all. I called a mechanic at a VW dealer and he said to turn the wheel in the middle of the locked position and tap on the key a few times before turning it to unlock the tumblers. I did. And nothing happened. I moved the steering wheel up and down pretty hard while turning the key and got it to turn, but only once... it won't do it again to save my life.

What's wrong?
Are the tumblers or the pin in the ignition messed up?
Is the key worn out? Should I just get another one? Does the key I have noe have a chip in it?
Could it be that the alarm is still set and that's why the key won't turn? (I don't really think that, but still...)

415

Most likely you do have a chip in your key, but that's not the problem. The steering wheel is locked and in order to turn the key you have to somehow jiggle the steering wheel left or right while turning the key in an attempt to unlock it. When you get out of the car do you use the steering wheel to help you get out? If so you could have warped the tumblers from too much pressure and constant use.

90

I have the same problem. I also turned the steering wheel a lot. I put the key and put in out several times. Nothing works! My husband has the same exact problem with his key, so it's not the fault of the key. I'm about ready to give up and sell this used car that I've only owned a month!!!. Does anyone really know the answer to this question???

When the key won't turn in the ignition its because the steering wheel is locked. I just had this issue I didn't know what was going on lol. I turned it to the left and that worked.

That originally worked with mine but today it locked the wheel and now turning to the left does nothing. Does anybody know?