2002 BMW Blown Engine 5,000 mir I bought it. dealer willing to take it as a trade in... what should I expect??

215

Asked by Oct 25, 2012 at 02:43 AM about the 2002 BMW 3 Series 325xi Wagon

This question is a bit long in order to explain it but I would love some help from anyone who might know something... In late July I bought a 2002 BMW 325xi Wagon from a dealership. I got a small loan for about $4,800 and paid $9000 cash for the car. It was in good condition and the carfax looked clean. Then a little over 2 months later I took it on a road trip to Iowa, which is about a 7.5 hour drive. we made it there just fine, then on the way home the car began smoking like crazy from the engine and there had been NO indication of overheating... the gauge had been fine until that point. In fact, the only indication was all the smoke. It was only until we turned the car off then turn the key to "on" position, not the "start" position that we saw the gauge finally showing it was HOT!!  We figured, okay no big deal we'll get some water in it and head to the next gas station and get some coolant. But when it was finally cool enough to open the coolant compartment to put water in, it wasn't even empty! Low, but not empty. The engine was refusing to cool down, even with the water in there and having sat for at least 30 min... which for an overheating car is ample amount of time to cool. We decided to try to start it to get the heat running and then all of a sudden it wouldn't start and the check engine light turned on. Long trip and story short I brought it to a BMW dealer (not where I bought it, bought it from a VW dealer that would have been much more expensive to tow it to). The BMW mechanic calls me and tells me it got so hot that it blew the gasket and melted parts of the engine so badly that it needed a new engine! $10,000 for a new engine, might as well have totaled the damn thing and now I wish I had. It'd be easier to clean this mess up! Of course I'm not wishing to have been in an accident where someone could have been hurt but you get my point. Anyway, so I have no warranty on the vehicle but myself and my parents have been in contact with the sales manager from the place where I bought it and it sounds like he's willing to work something out. He has offered to "trade" it in... I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea of how much $ would be an acceptable offer??? My dad has said the price I bought it for minus the depreciation of the 5000 miles I drove it. My mom says blue book value ($7989) which is WAY low considering how much I paid. I got screwed, no one needs to tell me that. Anyway, has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Do you have any idea what a good price would be? I mean it seems reasonable that I should get a car only a couple thousand less than what I bought that car for.... otherwise he's trading it at a value that is indicative of the car with a blown engine, but the BMW mechanic said it was a malfunction of the engine, which means the blown engine is not my fault so should I really have to take a hit on that? Anyway... ugh. Anyway I'm meeting with the sales manager to talk in a few days but I'm getting really anxious about the whole situation. Any dealers out there might know how this works??? Thanks!!

8,365

let me ask you one question, why return to buy another car from a place you had an issue? As a BMW mechanic, and lover I understand the importance, and abilities of such occurances. If you love the car, why not buy a cheap car to drive "beater", until you personally rebuild this one?Yes it is true, this could happen to any car, anything can on any used car, there are no guarantees, however feel free to call the better business bureau, or even better inform the department of motor vehicles, and report it, (in case the places reputation is already in question) or secondary warranty laws to help protect the consumer (pending state). Do not expect blue book value, not even close, if they want to help you there are many ways to tally up numbers to eithers benefit. The question before you go in to talk is WHAT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY, then decide on a compromise, such as, you want your car fixed for free, they don't want to be bothered its your loss and go from there. are you still paying on the loan of ownership was it a private loan, or professional legit loan, if they buy it back and there is a lien on the title, then they deduct that price also from the total..as i said there is no direct answer as to what they propose, the IMPORTANT THING IS DO NOT AGREE INSTANTLY, TELL THEM YOU WILL CONSIDER IT OVERNIGHT AND GET BACK TO THEM IN THE MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!it will give you time to consider it, report back to the forum to see if it seems fair...

575

Having bought/sold many cars and been down many roads. If you bought it with no warranty and it is now October you have NOTHING due you. If the dealer is trying to help? it is most likely about half the book value at that original dealer only. Other wise sell it as parts and it is worth more than you paid. Don't be quick to make public accusations lawyers on retainer need people to crush. The BUY A BEATER is a great idea. You get to know the inside and how it all works. Do take a day to think after the offer if you can get it.

575

Subaru and BMW two cars of passion! Have both in my garage now too. Practically go look for a Subaru in their network. Passionately..... Yeah go look for one.

215

haven't seen any on their lots except one that has over 130K miles. No thanks. But if I did find one that would fit my criteria I'd probably get it. I'm a bit picky about my Subies since I had an '06 Forester LL Bean... will probably be my favorite car for the rest of my life... so sad it's gone... :'(