why would a mechanic say my timing belt needs to be replaced if the water overflow is blowing out water

Asked by Jul 29, 2014 at 04:22 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Concorde Limited

water is pouring out of overflow, but wate heating gauge is sitting in the normal position.  
took to dodge maintenance dept.  The guy tells me it is either the radiator or the timing
chain.  I can understand the radiator, but the timing belt.  Taking it in for repair in the
morning, but since I'm an older female, want to make sure he is not scaming me.  Hope
you can help me.

Well, the timing belt is not associated with the overheating issue. Maybe he said he would need to replace the water pump, which could be related to your overheating problem. That is near the timing belt area and usually replaced at the same time since your removing all the parts.

I agree with the above, but this still sounds like an inability to communicate- I would not commit until the explanation becomes clearer, and if not, get a second opinion from someone who can explain it better- you are talkin' a lot of money-

Just to clarify in the 3.5l chrysler concord your water pump and timing system are directly related so what this mechanic told you is 100% a possibility