Any problems with your Cadi in the Philippines

16,665

Asked by Apr 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM about the 1994 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

Just wondering if the climate in the Philippines has created any special problems

34,165

Not that I have noticed. The weather here is warm so no snow related problems. The roads are narrow so the likely hood of excessive speed isn't an issue. Are you thinking of importing one or are you looking at one here? I'll be glad to answer your questions. I live in Bohol.

Best Answer
34,165

Hi Chassy where in the States are you from? I spent most of my life on the east coast. Between Northern New Hampshire and Key West.

16,665

I got off a plane in Tahiti many years back and walking down the open stairs to the tarmac I hit a wall of heat and humidity that just about stopped me dead in my tracks. I would think that different climates must affect how things work.

34,165

Yeah they do. The climate here isn't much different than Florida. But the cost of living is far lower. My meds for my ashama is lower then my insurance deductibles back in the states. We bought a 3 bedroom house with 2 baths for $32000. The taxes are $5.00 a year. We live on $36000 a year and have a full time nanny and a security guard. The payroll is about $125.00 a month.

16,665

I am no where near there, but I do come from a place a lot colder than the Philippines, where my gas tank holds 75 litres and I set my a/c to I8 for the few times a summer when I need a/c.

34,165

Where abouts do you live? Canada maybe?

16,665

I pay about $10, for a pack of cigs ( I'm not P.C. so I still carry a lot of old bad habits ) If my wife could handle the heat then I'd go somewhere warm but I found out the hard way when I planned our honeymoon in secret and took her to Fort Lauderdale - I haven't lived that down yet. It's my bedtime so we'll communicate again later. If along the way you see typos please forgive same, I'm from the time where I used a dictaphone and my secretary did the typing; I hunt and peck as best I can.

34,165

We're both old school. And politically incorrect. Marlboroughs are$1.20 a pack here. There are cheaper ciggies at $.55 a pack. When I go out for breakfast eggs bacon toast coffee and a fresh banana served on a real plate with a cloth napkin.,$2.25 including the tip. Good night. Hope to chat with you again. Mark.

16,665

You got it - eh! Just before I shut this machine off I remembered these guys had some site rules that I didn't really pay much specific attention to when I signed up BUT I went to read them. I don't do any of their no-no stuff but they do make a statement about "content unrelated to the topic of the Interactive Area you are posting in" I guess that means we better mention cars or else some kid is going to kick us off? I do enjoy reading stuff on this site and I even got my boy (little older than a boy) to set me up with an E mail address just so I could register - so we'll talk cars too and hope we don't upset anyone that way. You noticed my STP comment originally; so, I assume you're reading this site for your edification and enjoyment too.

16,665

Mark, hope so. Chas

34,165

By any chance do you do Facebook? We could chat there. If not....... have you ever seen what is called here a Multicab? It's a 3 cylinder 660 cc pregnant roller skate. That should satisfy the kid in Cambridge.

34,165

My email address is. mark_picky@yahoo.com. my wife set up a facebook account so if you want you can do a friend request there or just send me emails. I got some pictures of the cars trucks and motorcycles from here. BTW it's 12 hours ahead of EST in the Philippines. Mark

16,665

Soon as I can get my kid over to show me how to Email I'll mail you, until then I'll say goodbye with talking on this site re: none car stuff. I don't want to lose this carguru thing because it's fun - I've written down your email address - so I will be back in touch. ( Facebook - I've certainly heard of it ; but no. I have never even sent an email before! )I think I used the word dictaphone on that other guy's page. Up until I found this site (which was by accident; I was using google to look up some info on my car and this site's name was there) I have merely used google to look things up. ( my set of encyclopedia is pretty much out of date ) There's another thing from the past!

34,165

Good one Chas we're getting ready for a fiesta. We invited about 20 -25 people so that means we'll see around 50+. My brother in law will be coming on the motorcycle we bought for him. It's a Chinese brand I never heard of before but the salesman said that they make the smaller motorcycles for Suzuki. He will be bringing a piggy for roasting as well as his wife and my God daughter. It's not unusual to see 6 people on a motorcycle here. Yesterday Cathy and I went car "exploring" We found a Kia Carens it's a diesel powered FWD cross over 7 passenger SUV. It's rated 15 K per Litre. Diesel is about $1.00 per litre and gas is around $1.40 per Litre so diesel is the way to go. As for FB. I'm at a loss for its popularity. It's interesting and a easy way to communicate with others but other than that no big deal. Take care and hope to hear from you soon. Mark

16,665

hello . still waiting for my son to come over to look at the deville and teach me how to check the oil and email. He tried to explain all to me over the phone but I need to see him do it in order for it to sink in. I will learn how and contact you. Chas

34,165

Hi Chas, Yeah the email is best to have done in person. Once you get the hang of it it's easy. BTW never open the radiator cap when the engine is hot! But I'm sure your son will tell you that. Well, off to Manila for a few days. I'll have my iPad and phone with me. Happy motoring.

16,665

I've been passing along the U.of M. site. It is some myth and lore busting that needs to be passed along to the oldsters that have misconceptions about just what some mechanics know about car repair and their precious codes, that they live by. Read a couple of questions and got in on some discussions about carbs (the kind that used to come in cars not the ones you eat) It was nice to talk about real car mechanics for a change.

16,665

Your advice that I come across is always insightful and honest and good. Keep it up.