SLS dead

Asked by Jun 20, 2013 at 08:26 AM about the 1997 Cadillac Seville SLS

I'm a genius.  I hit the sulfate button on my fancy charger while battery was still connected
to the car.  Did I blow a "master" fuse or fusible link?  When you get done laughing,
please help!

Sulfation, the number one cause of early battery failures, can be safely reversed, using high frequency electronic pulses. But it does not use high voltages. BUT, these high frequency pulses can play havoc on your ignition system, the parts that are 'hot at all times'. That feature on your charger is fine, it will bring an old battery back to life for a while, maybe a short while, but I have not seen what claims the manufacturer makes. But it will not turn a 5 year old battery in to a new one. Hopefully you DID blow a fuse, instead of these pulses going to your ECU. That may have fried it. Let me find a diagram of a '97 Seville and see what we can see. Meanwhile, back to the chalkboard for you to finish writing out W^5x 5/11 `|\^/; (x)y %(9W) formula there for you advanced physics class for your students.

Hey all in fun, okay? No offense. I looked at lots of images and the best I can find for a '97 Seville is this one. I see no "mega fuse" as it's called in some cars. My best suggestion is see if your ECU can be tested, the problem with that is it is non returnable if you buy one and that is not the problem. Who we need is tenspeed, he is a battery expert. Maybe he will see this.

click the image to see it and pull then pull and check the PCM fuse

PCM BAT caught my eye. Up to the light, it looked good. (Remember old axials would fail, but you might not see it?) Would a guy Ohm check a GMT fuse?

Well, ohm is a measure if resistance. So yes, you could use an ohm meter and if it shows no resistance then the fuse is good, Or you could use a continuity light or meter and find out that way also. Another option is just buy another fuse. But hold on ......Let's go back a bit. The car will not start, no power, no lights, nothing?

Right. Deader than snot on a doorknob. I am a BSEET and I did this! I should slam my head with my hood. Luckily I have an extra car. I keep weird hours, might go to bed soon. We'll be in touch. Maybe I can pop you some PayPal $ for beer or whatever if we get this figured out. Another fuse panel in the trunk. Hmmm, pretty far from the battery physically, anyways.

My pleasure to help, when and where I can. Although the hood may have a dent if you do that. PM me if necessary. And we WILL figure this out.

PS I don't want your money, but that is a very generous gesture. Thanks, but not necessary. I have on one occasion helped a woman save $4,000 that her mechanic wanted to sell her a new (well... rebuilt) engine that needed a new catalytic convertor that was plugged, but tempting as it was I get my karma and kismet from just helping

I relate to the Karma thing. I've helped friends with their cars and computers etc. Good karma to help elderly folks etc too.

I am on the same page with the Karma,what goes around comes around. Dave on the continuity test with a ohm meter, I think it should be the other way around, if you get a resistive reading then the fuse would be good.

0 Ohms is a good fuse. DeVry Phoenix Class of 1984. Some people laugh, I've done ok. I just pulled the dunce move with my car LOL!

where is the pcm on the 2002 Seville sls?