I have a 1999 Cadillac deville . I was wondering can the air idle pressure sensor keep your car from turning on

10

Asked by Sep 27, 2014 at 08:23 AM about the 1999 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

10,960

gonna need a little more info on that one. What happens when you turn the key? Are there dash lights? Do you hear a clicking sound under the hood? Does the engine turn over ? Also, have there been any recent issues with the car, such as dead battery or alternator problems , or fuel problems. Are there any check engine lights. A little more info, and then maybe we can get somewhere.

Best Answer
10

Dash lights are on. Car tries to turn on just won't. Battery was charged about a mon th ago.new alternator as well. Check engine light on. Got it Checked says car needs a air controlspeed sensor

10

Needs idle air control sensor

10,960

I would be really surprised if the iac would keep the car from starting. It would be great if you could get the battery load tested. Not uncommon to have battery problems after a new alternator and vice versa. Have you tried jump starting? Batteries can do weird things to your computer too. you may very well need a new iac, but if you can somehow get that battery tested, it would be good. It has to be fully charged to load test,so put it on the charger overnight at least. around here, les schwab tires will load test for free, or maybe autozone. under a load if its under 9 volts or so, it's bad. If you do find out you need a new battery and get one, and it starts the car then clear the engine code and driver the car and see if it comes back. if the code comes back then it is likely a true code and not something anomalous due to low battery voltage. good luck

10

How do I reset the computer after I replaced the iac sensor. I connected The battery back. I heard I have to turn the key to the on position three times to set the computer back. Wondering if this was true.

10,960

It is common on many models to turn the key to the on position for a few seconds then off again. Yours may need 3 times. Even if it doesn't I'm sure 3 times won't hurt anything. Was there a battery problem?

10

The battery was fully charged. The car takes a few turns of the key before it starts. When it does a lot if smoke comes out of the tailpipes then it feels like she wants to shut off. Once warmed up the car rind great. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem would help.

10,960

Sounds like it is running rich. Are there any other codes stored?

10,960

I was wondering have u ever cleaned the throttle body or mass air flow ? if not it could help. Be sure to use mass air flow sensor cleaner on the maf and throttle body cleaner on the throttle body. The two cleaners usually come as a set and are clearly labeled.