The coolant is overflowing and bubbling when i turn on the A/C whether driving or idling we changed the thermostat and burped but problem persist and it over heats

40

Asked by Mar 16, 2015 at 11:35 PM about the 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD

40

I also noticed when pulled over first time it was over heating (just filled anti-freeze) the reservoir appeared empty then as i turned the vehicle back on it goes back to normal range then all the antifreeze bubbles up This only occurs when A/C is activated

5,155

Things to check 1. Thermostat is only partially opening 2. The radiator is plugged 3. The fan is not turning on (rotating) if electric. 4. Reservoir empties then refills (bubbles up) you still have an air pocket! Place front end of car on ramps or jack stands run till operating temp is still cold with radiator cap off watch determine if fluid goes down if it does fill with 50/50 mix of anti freeze / water 5. Water pump is not functioning properly check the weep hole for leak 6 . Weak hose collasping causing vacuum or leaking 7. Last one is internal leak at head or in engine block!

Best Answer Mark helpful
40

Thank you i will check all of those!

40

After having the mechanic go through these things i am starting to believe my head gasket is cracked the car still runs does not smoke and only over heats after a few trips how can i determine if it is? The mechanic poured blue devil through and it seems the car has progressively gotten worse in the beginning it only over heated when i ran A/C now it over heats by driving too far

5,155

Cracked head you will start to get coolant in your oil or oil in your coolant depending on where it is cracked!

20

I have been having this problem also and my mechanic found the end of the cam shaft that drives the water pump is stripped out. So now i am trying to find an affordable fix for a poor design.

40

Is that apart of the water pump i had up on the vehicle i was about to buy a used engine when i got the spare money. Did they say how they. Were going to fix it

20

hi @papaobewon, my 2005 Ford Freestyle 4Dr wagon has been having the same problem. I've already replaced the thermostat and the fan is working fine. I am certain the A/C is not the culprit because I have not used it for several years now. I noticed in your list of things you mentioned water pump, is there anything else, other than replacing the radiator is there anything else that I should be looking at? My son thinks the radiator is clogged.. but I am not a car person, and would not know any better. your honest opinion will be appreciated. Lily

Hi I took it into a shop for diagnostic it was the waterpump even though the first mechanic said since he saw movement in my overflow tank it wasn't the pump it was.

the part specifically was the Cam shaft like the guy before us cost me $700

10

we found that the water pump "teeth" used by the cam to rotate the pump have been broken off by the jacked up end of the cam. anyone know if the only fix is replacing the cam?

There are two teeth on the cam that drive the water pump - per my mechanic. The complete fix was $2,500 to replace the cam. I tried a kludge where he welded teeth onto the cam. Worked great for 4-5 months but then began to degrade.