Where do I submit my car question? Not enough characters. 87 BMW runability problem.

Asked by Sep 13, 2009 at 01:14 PM about the 1987 BMW 3 Series 325e Sedan RWD

My first question was answered. Engine starts fine. Intank fuel pump whines. Poor acceleration. Has new secondary fuel pump. Filter is ok. Cannot get up to any speed quickly and cannot maintain speed. ???

415

Check your vac system. Even a minor leak will affect you power. Make sure your parking brake is not partially engaged (even though it is all the way down doesn't mean something isn't functioning properly). Also, as I'm sure you know, the "e" stands for economy. BMW states that the E series will achieve the same speeds as the i with a lower RPM. Translation- it's not designed to be as quick as the "i". I have the '85 325e and I added the chip from BAV Auto and gained a lot. I highly reccomend a good chip. Your fuel pumps will whine even when brand new. It's not necesarily a flaw, it's just the way it is. Did you replace, clean, or check the intank pump? A good cleaning may help you out. Hope this helps

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks for the feed back. I apalogize for the tardy response. I cleaned the intank fuel pump and screen. I found the pump was stuck and not functioning properly. I freed it up using WD-40. So now it has the whine. Fuel pressure as I recall is about 41 psi. Engine starts very quickly. The throttle response is the problem. And maintaining speed is a problem. I will check for vacume lose. Do you know about a diagnostic tool for this model BMW? I really appreciate any and all help.I need to sell this vehicle. Thanks!

415

Check out e30tech.com or call the guys at Bavarian Auto. They are always ready to suggest parts! Let me know if you find the problem.

60

Not sure but I have a 1992 bmw 318i and if check engine light is on, turn key on depress gass pedal 5 times within 5 seconds and your check engine light will go into blink mode, count the blinks that will be sperated by a small pause if more than 1 will go to next or will just repeat 4 number code should start with 1 if same as 92 which it should be, post code or look up online

Gurus: I did not find a vacume leak. I did find out the vac was at 12ins. I tweeked a set screw at the throttle stop on the throttle body and inline vacume valve? inthe vac line from infront of the throttle body to the back side of the throttle body. The vac settled at about 20ins. and the ran out to 80mph. Prior it would not sustain 50mph and a hard time getting there. I will need to do some more tweeking. The engine tends to want to die when I stop for a light or such. I will check out e30tech.com and see if I can locate Bavaria Auto. Also, I will check out about depressing the throttle. thanks to all for your assistance