I just picked up my 2005 Ford Freestar from the dealership after having the tires rotated, balanced and an alignment. Now I think it must be a low tire light that is on. They didnt give me an owner's manual, so I'm assuming this is the light. What do I do about it?

Asked by May 31, 2007 at 06:11 PM about the 2005 Ford Freestar SE

29,675

What kind of dealer doesn't take care of an issue like that when the car is there? They didn't say anything to you about the light being on? Try filling the tires up to the recommended tire pressure, if the light doesn't go off you will either need to reset the warning light, or have a dealer look at why the light is staying on.

Thanks! They also didn't give me a manual for the van AND they didn't do the state inspection!!

45

Hello, I had the same problem with my low pressure light being on. Only mine was after I had put new tires on. I didn't have the dealer do it and the company I went to had no idea why it was on. They put new valve stems on and everything. I finally called my dealer and they said they would have to reset the light. Apparently what happened, is that much like a Hummer, my Freestar tires and likely yours as well, have a sensor on them that tells when the tire is low or something has changed. When the tires are replaced or low on air, the light goes on and you have to have them service it. Putting air in the tires is not always going to work. My dealer charged me a small fee to reset the computer sensor and I then replaced the tires at the dealer the next time. Fun huh? Makes you realise how much you actually miss the older cars that didn't have all the bells and whistles, doesn't it? I hope this helps, although I'm really hoping that your dealer just had a new person that didn't really pay attention to these details and no one was there to inspect their work. As this is really a simple item, but could be very costly as well. If I was you, I would contact the dealer and tell them how upset you are.

85

These vans use the wheel speed sensors to monitor the revolutions of each tire so if one moves faster than the others (low air pressure will make that one tire roll faster to cover the same distance as the others) it will trigger the light. Also the light can be tripped by any dramatic change in the revolutions so if you had a rotation the tread depth difference of the tires on the front that are now on the back could have set it off (or vice versa) because the rolling circumferences are different or maybe if they filled the tires up with air that too will change the rolling circumference. I personally have one of these vans and the light has gone off while driving on a snow covered road for about 20 miles. I am guessing that the front tires were spinning while blasting through the drifts that set it off. the first time i stopped and checked the pressures and it was all good, the second time i just kept going since the van didn't drive any different and i have years in the tire/car industry and would know if i got a flat. To reset the light just hold the odometer/trip reset button until it goes off, then as you drive the tire monitor will start learning again the tire rotations until the next time you get work done. Good Luck!

50

To insure that the tire pressure light does not come on again unless there is a bigger problem...After checking your air pressure, turn the ignition/key to the "last click" (before starting the engine), and THEN push down and hold odometer reset button until the tire light goes out. This will reset the code telling the tire sensor that the air pressure at the tires is fine. Thank you to Les Schwab Tire Center for the info; much more helpful than the dealership!!

I know this is 5 years ago but sorry Tony you are incorrect it's called a TPMS sensor and it sends a frequency through the Radio and it monitors the air pressure it has nothing to do with the speed a tire is rolling and since 2007 it is government mandated like a seat belt I have been dealing with tires as a Tire salesman for 7 years now and some vehicles you can reset with they key faub, some like the sienna's reset with a button under dash on Lside, some reset only with a ODBII scanner like Nissans and some require you to turn key forward 3 times leaving in run position press brake 3 times and hold turn key 3 times Ford Trucks.