Rear view camera fail. I get a "Camera not available" message on my info screen every time I shift into reverse, thoughts???

5

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM about the 2010 Volkswagen CC 2.0T Luxury FWD

Rear view camera fail.  I get a "Camera not available" message on my info screen every
time I shift into reverse, thoughts???

Dealer says they need to "explore" for nearly 300 bucks to check out the fiber optics.

12,135

could be a bad cable try removing your trunk inside cover and checking hte wires your self.

Did they figure out the roots cause. Same thing is happening to my vehicle.

5

No, no corrective action yet. Car is going in for service tonight, might have more news tomorrow. I removed the trunk lining and there was no visible defect, fyi. Best guess from the techs right now is a broken fiber-optic cable, which is $$$ to repair due to the labor hours in replacing it.

I have the same problem with my 2012 CC, the reverse camera don't work - it shows on the screen that "it is not available"- any solutions pls?

12,135

there has been a lot of controversy about it but i don't really think there has been a solution. i have seen a few posts and some people have literally replaced everything possible and a few times at that. seems there is not really a fix for the issue. The best thing you can do is just keep at them and keep getting them to replace stuff under their warranty.

My car spent 10 days of the past 14 in the dealership and still have the same problem, with that exact message. I have a 2014 Passat with the 6spd manual gearbox, Diesel. And get "Camera Not Available" They told me I was nuts till I had video of it

My name is Stephen, sorry nut sure why it said GURU above... :)

12,135

I've seen people talk about this issue before. I had a rental once that would do the same thing. Often shifting the car back into anouther gear other then reverse and then back again toreverse again. I personaly think its an issue with the the shifter switch. I have seen people have this issue before as well and replace everything from the camera to the wires and even the stereo and not resolve the issue. Try going to the parts department and ask for them to bring up the parts diagram for the camera system and print it out. you can liekly do your own trouble shooting at this point. and make sure the camera is actuly poping open when you put the car in reverse.

My screen was black as well on reversing. I demounted the VW logo toghether with the camera and took it home to reconnect the broken cable. It was difficult since the cable was cut exactly on it's way into the camera...had to do some patents to reconnect it...let's see how long it lasts then...

The problem---On my 2012 cc, first the back camera 'not available' reading appeared. Slamming the trunk hard occasionally got it working; then didn't. Next the trunk openers failed. I fed a line from the panic handle in the trunk through to the cabin, so at least I could open it. The cause of both failures--On the drivers side where the wiring exits the lower end of the trunk lid hinge behind the trunk liner there is a design fault. This being inadequate length of harness between the fixed connectors and the hinge to provide adequate flexibility to prevent the wiring insulation from cracking at entry to the hinge due to frequent flexing, perhaps exacerbated by winter temperatures. So I found bare and broken wires at the hinge entry point. The new harness that I just installed has a greater length in this critical portion and should therefore last longer. The openers work and the camera VW Emblem opens over the camera. But still get 'camera unavailable'. I have learned from two local mechanics that there is normal because without the use of complex VW equipment, the camera will not work after it has been unplugged and replugged . I am told that I have to go to a VW garage. I was prematurely chuffed at avoiding the VW labor cost by doing the simple task of replacing the trunk lid harness myself. But now I'll have to open my wallet wide!

12,135

why don'tyou jsut disconect it and get an after market one ? Install the camera into the area where the old one is or on the plate and it hooks up to the mirrior. you can pickup a cheap good one for maybe 100$ and it will always work ..