2005 Ford Focus - When I start my car it makes a loud vibrating noise, when I put it in reverse it seems to quiet down some. When I press the gas pedal it vibrates the car and is very loud. Does anyone know what this could be? I have been looking online and some people have been saying to replace the motor mounts. I took it to a couple different places and I keep getting different things so I am not sure what is right.

Asked by Apr 03, 2015 at 01:42 AM about the 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE

2005 Ford Focus - When I start my car it makes a loud vibrating noise, when I put it in
reverse it seems to quiet down some. When I press the gas pedal it vibrates the car
and is very loud. Does anyone know what this could be? I have been looking online
and some people have been saying to replace the motor mounts. I took it to a couple
different places and I keep getting different things so I am not sure what is right. One
shop told me it was the resonator, so we did that and I thought it worked for a day but
the noise is still there. The car runs fine other than that just it it very loud and vibrates
the entire car.

287,055

You will need to describe the noise better and or pinpoint where exactly it is coming from for use to help. Sounds like maybe the exhaust is contacting the body or the motor mounts or transaxle mount has failed. Maybe it is the trans? Have a reputable mechanic test drive it to see if they can find the issue for you.

Thank you for answering. The only way I know how to describe it is, a vibrating noise when I press the gas and it is very loud. As soon as I take my foot off the gas it stops. I just called a mechanic he said to bring it by next week to see if it may be the motor mounts, I asked them if they could test drive it this time.

30

I have a Ford Focus ZX4 and I know EXCATLY what you are talking about! Mine does the exact same thing and it's done it since the day I bought it. I work at a Honda dealership and I let the technicians drive it around and they agree that it's probably the mounts. The one that Ford sees go out the most on this model is the front right motor mount, it's the main bad boy that holds the engine in place. The second is one that's located near the battery tray/transmission so I actually bought both this morning at Ford (the big one is about $140 and the smaller one is about $60) and they're replacing mine Wednesday. After doing some research online, I've found this is a very common problem with Ford Focus 2003-2006 ZX3, ZX4 and the ZX5 and many explain the same noise and heavy vibration. After replacing the motor and transmission mounts, most say the vibration almost completely vanishes but I'm not sure about the noise, I'm almost positive it's just a loud car haha! There IS a pending case about faulty motor mounts in these models but because it isn't a 'safety' issue, it's highly doubtful that it will ever become a recall (save your receipts just incase though!). Hope this helps and I'll post an update on Wednesday if the new motor mounts worked! Good luck!

30

Had to push back my mount installation but I just had mine done and my two largest mounts were broken. There is a noticeable dedication of vibration and noise now, there is still some vibration and noise but it's not nearly as bad as it was in the past. Hopefully that helps!

I have a 2005 zx3 and have this exact same issue. It's almost like a rattling sound. My mechanic says the motor mounts are loose and causing it to vibrate. I have yet to replace them though. I was also told to add more carpet to reduce the noise inside the vehicle.

10

100% it is the right upper Motor mount. The one located just under your coolant reservoir. Follow instructions on YouTube. Most guys can handle this job Anywhere from $40-$60( Advance Auto, Orielly's,), for the part, Takes about 30 Minutes in&out! Your terrible vibration will be gone...for sure!

20

All motor mounts in focua fail early

I had all 4 motor mounts replaced. It still vibrates like crazy. Any other ideas? Thanks