There is a cap of some sort that was sitting loose just under the coolant reservoir. It doesn't seem like it could ever have been attached. I am trying to identify the part so I can research further?

40

Asked by Nov 21, 2013 at 01:04 PM about the 2002 Ford Focus

The car runs rough until you get it up to about 50mph. It stalls when idling.  It did this once before and there was a hose with a hole that was sucking air.  When a friend looked at it for us he found a cap of some sort that was sitting loose just under the coolant reservoir.  It doesn't seem like it ever could have been attached.  The problem may be unrelated to this part but it obviously needs repaired.  The cap has its own cap and when it is removed there is a rubber bulb resembling the priming button on a lawnmower, only larger.

236,945

So you basically have a vacuum leak, can you post a pic of this cap?

40

I'll have to do that when I get home tonight. I don't know how much help this is, but the diagram on page 265 shows the location clearly, beneath the upper right corner of the coolant reservoir: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/02focog3e.pdf

236,945

It's not the cap for the power steering reservoir is it?

40

I posted upper right corner of the coolant reservoir, but it is actually below the lower right corner. It is about 6-8 inches forward of the power steering reservoir.

236,945

Ok, still no clue, I'll wait for the pic.

40

The brown circle in the center seems to be where it should be seated.

40

This is the bottom side of the cap. It doesn't seem to have a way of fastening in place.

40

Cap with its lid in place.

40

The lid to this mysterious (to me) part simply snaps off. You can see from the previous picture it has a dome in it. The center of this part is a rubber seal of some sort which appears would inflate under pressure into the lid's dome.

236,945

This picture confirms that cap needs to go where you think it is.

40

OK. Now, any idea what it *is* ?

236,945

Might be the cooling pump, sorry but I'm at a loss, never saw anything like it. I'm going to defer. Post what you said in here to this forum, I'm sure you will get an answer. You will have to join, but all you need is an email and password....http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/

236,945

Let me know what you find out.

Hi, I have the same problem. Engine was running rough and when I went to investigate I found a loose cap that seemed to go in the same location. Did you ever find out what this is for?

40

It appears to be part of the engine mount.

Thank you! From what I see online, it looks like I should fix this sooner rather than later. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270198

it is the cap for the hydraulic mount

Hi, i seem to have the same problem looks like. Is it suppose to b tight and secure ? And also can it mess up my car? And how much does it cost to fix