Lube Guard Oil Treatment

16,675

Asked by Aug 29, 2016 at 11:47 AM about the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Please let me know if you have any experience with this product .
Someone recommended it, but, I normally don't use additives..... just me..

http://www.lubegard.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?
CategoryCode=306&title=LUBEGARD+BIO-TECH+Engine+Oil+Protectant#

40,725

Additives are great at increasing fuel mileage slightly. This is accomplished by slightly lightening your wallet. With a lighter wallet your vehicle has less weight to move around thus better fuel economy. Pick a name brand quality engine oil and all the necessary additives are already in it. There is no need for oil conditioners, stabilizers or other additives. The motor oil vendors have spent millions and years engineering their lubricants for optimum performance.

Best Answer
87,045

Lube Guard products are very good in helping the symptoms of a problem you may already have, but they are not a fix, as far as adding it to a good engine or tranny I can't say I have seen any added benefit. Now if you have a high mileage unit the only product I have seen personally work is Slick 50. A close relation of mine always added a quart to his engine at every oil change, one night he was driving when his oil pressure went to 0, he was 20 miles away from home, so he gritted his teeth and drove it slowly home, it made it. after wards after tearing the engine down the only thing damaged was the lifters, all of the bearings were still good even those on the cam, but as he was already that far he just overhauled it anyway. HTH

40,725

Similar experience with Slick 50 here. I worked at a Ford dealership in the parts department. We had a brand new Thunderbird 3.8 V6, 1989 I think, had a squeaky rocker arm. The Ford friction modifier used to fix the problem was on backorder and the customer was headed to the dealership to pick up his new Thunderbird. Service manager came to me and asked if I had a suggestion and I recommended trying part of a bottle of Slick 50. I went to a parts store and got a bottle of Slick 50 and poured about 1/2 of the bottle into the running engine. The squeak stopped immediately and as far as I know never returned. I gave the remainder of the Slick 50 to the service department dispatcher and he used it in his high mileage Ranchero and he swore that the 1/2 bottle Slick 50 silenced his noisy valve train. There are some additives such as Marvel Mystery Oil and others that can help stop a noise or other issue, but for an engine in good operating condition no additive is necessary.

16,675

Hi Bob, loved your answer above and just marked it "best answer"... YES, I actually don't use additives, but, someone who highly recommended it, but, you're absolutely right about the "lighter wallet"and I think that the marketing department is loving it.... And, I agree tennisshoes-, if you really need work done on your car, there's only one right way to do it.. BUT, I enjoyed reading your humorous comments very much... It also validates what I suspected that high quality fuel and maintenance is all that is necessary.,. Finally, Bob, I see from some of the other questions recently on the forum, you and I have agreed on a number of issues lately.... Be well...

3,530

Think of chemical additives like vitamins: if there's a shortage- related illness they're necessary. Otherwise, not.