Do you have a backup camera in your rear view mirror with parking sensors?

16,535

Asked by Jul 09, 2016 at 01:55 AM about the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Had a professional installation of a rearview mirror with a camera lens and
proximity sensors.   Have any of you tried this, it works!

50,895

I have not had the pleasure of using one, but I bet it would be great for hooking up to a trailer.

16,535

Rowefast, well, I hope so. Among other things, I've noticed that backing up is a little more difficult to see things behind my car since it is higher off the ground. I live in a very densely populated area and people are either not paying attention talking on their cell phones or intentionally walking directly into my path of travel when backing up in parking lots. This was a VERY EXPENSIVE add on feature for my car, BUT, it would MORE EXPENSIVE if I were to hit someone or have an accident with another car. I live in LA, and it's very common for people to drive the WRONG WAY in parking lots down aisles ,. You cannot assume anything about what people do here when it comes to driving. It's unfortunate that I have to take these extraordinary precautions, but, it's just that bad. I love LA for lots of things, but, it's a jungle here. At some point I may want to leave the Metro area.

50,895

I was out in LA. once in my life for work and was chauffeured around...I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in a city of 17000. Do I need to say more...I think an item like this where I live, we would find other uses for it. An example, one of my friends is a stunt driver. He took me for a ride one time driving backward just using his rear view mirror from one town to another doing 60-80 mph, about 7 miles of this, I'm sure he would have liked to have something like this. Never the less, point being is depending on where you live, it is amazing how people find other uses for new technology other than it's intended use. So in other words, living where I do we don't need something like this as much as you would living in LA. By the way, It is nice to be able to take ride up here in your vehicle, and just enjoy driving, the biggest thing is to watch out for is deer.

16,535

Rowefast- YES, I understand completely. It's very much a regional thing. I have a vacation home in Michigan's thumb area, Lexington, Michigan. I know exactly what you are talking about. If I lived in a much smaller city, I might be all right without it, but, as I've already had a few close calls, and almost hit someone, but, luckily did not. I figured it was just a matter of time before that happened. As inconceivable as it may seem , it's almost like they want to get hit, and then turn around and file a lawsuit to recover money. In several instances, I've looked behind me to make sure no one was behind me and people would then intentionally walk directly into the path of my car while backing out. I can only conclude that they are either on their cellphone, not paying attention, or doing it on purpose or whatever. What would you think? I certainly don't like it or want to have an accident. Unfortunately, I have to protect myself and take these extra security measures to avoid getting into an accident; it's a matter of safety. The scale of living in Los Angeles is 1000 times larger in population than your area. The LA vicinity is made up of 88 separate smaller cities that all run together in the SoCal area and there's 18 million people here. Southern CA is a very heavily populated area. It's like one one continuous city from LA to Tijuana, some 175 miles. It takes almost 20 minutes to fly over LA in a jet on the approach to landing at LAX. We come to Michigan to get away from the highly charged and hectic environment here, and RELAX. It is very exciting to be here, and the abundance of services is fantastic. LA is one of the most best shopping areas in the world. There's nothing you cannot find here. As for deer, I had a few close calls on a trip to Frankenmuth. I really don't know how to deal with that other than to slow down on these roads and be extremely vigilant when driving in these areas. We do have a public transportation system that is growing and I took a commuter train for the last 10 years before i retired. And, I'm walking distance to a Metro station. But doesn't go everywhere, so, a private car is still required. The upper peninsula of Michigan is beautiful,. I've driven through on my way to Minnesota once and have been to Mackinac Island twice. The difference between your area and SoCal is like another world. I like both for different reasons. We would like to come back and see more, like the Pictured Rocks. You must be in Sault Ste. Marie or Marquette? Here's an article for you on LA and cars below, http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/nobody-walks-in-la-the- rise-of-cars-and-the-monorails-that-never-were-43267593/ Fortunately, Los Angeles is one of the most "well signed" cities in the world. I've travelled by car across the USA many times in addition to flying to Europe and driving there. We're lucky that the city planners did such a great job providing clear directional signs on all the major roads here otherwise it would be terribly chaotic driving here. Glad that's not the case, I only wish people would just follow directions and not drive the wrong way in parking lots!

75

I have one and it has helped me tremendously. Being that I have a lifted truck and people in California with lowered cars love to get close to my bumper, when parallel parking or lack thereof, it has been extremely helpful.

16,535

Sosa - Yes, thanks for your input. I figured this is like insurance, and you're right, parallel parking is always a challenge especially with vehicles like your and mine. The Outback has an 8.7 inch ground clearance and while it may not be as high off the ground as your truck, I understand precisely what you're talking about. Also, while the visibility from the front is excellent, the rear not so much. Also, it will help me very much backing up my trailer.

50,895

I can see where this is great for lifted trucks, as they are a common thing up here. As what you do for the deer, you slow down if you can, hold your lain, do not veer over the center line or to the right, and if there still in the way you just hit them. It is a lot better than hitting someone else or ending up into the trees, possibly loosing your life. LA sounds as nuts as I imagined....So I grew up in Marquette, I have a camp just north of Marquette, '72 we moved to Escanaba. Marquette is a happening place right now, they have the woods to camp clear cut to just 3 miles of camp now. That sucks. And on the people following directions, there are those who just don't, so ya, you really have to protect yourself no matter where you live these days.

945

I have one installed on my 2001 Legacy Outback and I love it i am also going to put on a back up alarm on it too. my back up camera is part of a dash cam setup paid $80.00 for it on amazon and it works great although at night the back up camera is very grainy I think because of the low light it does not have Infra Red sensors I am not sure if that would help or not

16,535

Keith-. When you say "backup alarm" do you mean an audible signal outside your car like some large trucks have ? Or, are you talking about parking"sensors" inside your car that would sound an audible warning signal if you were to get close to an object? As for your question about low light, the HD camera with a low lux rating or a LED camera would work. The problem with the LED camera, which is why I didn't get one, is that they don't display colors that well. Your rear backup taillights should be bright enough to allow you to see clearly. So, how did you install the backup camera on the dash? Is it wireless? And, where you place the camera lens is important.

945

hi Mark the canera itself is placed just above the license plate and the image is is sent to my back up mirror which camera with my dash cam I have the forward facing dash cam built into the oversize rear view mirror and I was referring to an audio back up alarm that is heard from the outside like the ones that the truck uses I can just wired it into my back up light the same way i did the back up camera . (My camera is hard wired not wireless) and the colors are fine in the day time