Have you heard the latest news on the Subaru oil consumption issue?

18,875

Asked by Jan 17, 2016 at 01:00 AM about the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

A settlement agreement may be completed soon.   See this below,  
http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016/subaru-oil-consumption-
lawsuit.shtml

Does not apply to my 2010 and there's no issues with that year,  but, check for
your car.

120

I have a 2010 Tribeca and for some reason 6 cylinders engines are not included. But maybe once this hits Subaru, they will be forced to correct it altogether. They are like just another Volkswagen manufacturer. Really thought both had more integrity than this.

18,875

bbbttt-- does your 2010 Subaru Tribeca burn excessive oil? I'm surprised to hear that since your car has the 3.6 H6 engine. I imagine that you have little kids, since the 3rd seat is not suited for adults? Is that true?

120

Yes more oil than any car with 55k miles. About 1 qt every 1500 miles. 3rd row seat is tight but even I can use it if need to and that is all I wanted is if I need more seating, I have it.

18,875

bbbttt, I see. 55,000 miles is very low mileage for a 2010. One quart every 1,500 miles does seem high to me, biut, I understand that "boxer engines" have been known to use a little more oil . My 2010 Subaru Outback with the 2.5 Four uses about a quart in between oil changes. The only time I noticed a little more usage is when I towed my teardrop trailer up to Sequoia National Park. I suppose you can remove that 3rd seat if you need the room for storage?

18,875

Forgot to mention , I have 75,000 miles on my 2010 Subaru Outback. I originally thought that I needed the H6 and the extra power might be desirable for extra acceleration , but, the combination of the Four and the CVT transmission works for me. The only difference between the Four and Six on the Outback in towing capacity is 300 pounds. I think your car can tow up to 3,500 pounds. It's not just the engine power, but, the overall weight of the vehicle which is why the Forester tow capacity with the same engine as my car is lower at 1,500 pounds. Good luck.

120

I just put a hitch on it so my oil useage may also increase. 3rd seat does fold down out of the way and is a nice feature.

18,875

My teardrop trailer is extremely light, under 1,000 pounds, made from a composite fiberglass material single molded body. Here's a picture for you. I get an average 21 miles per gallon with cruise control towing the trailer on level ground. My average highway mileage without the trailer is 27 or 28. Plenty of power to pull this little trailer, took it all the way to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, that's almost 9,000 feet.

18,875

bbbttt- hey, take a look at Lubegard Biotech Engine treatment. I just found out about this and the person using it almost 300,000 miles on his 2010 Subaru Outback. By the way, he's never changed the head gaskets. That should make you smile. Apparently, the redesigned head gaskets in 2010 were that good. http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-306/LUBEGARD+BIO- TECH+Engine+Oil+Protectant

120

Be forewarned Subaru has in ALL its owners manuals the clause that “SUBARU warranties do not apply to vehicle damage or malfunction caused by trailer towing. “ This was finally confirmed by Subaru itself, but no explanation why it is in there, even though they sell and install their own OEM trailer hitches. Haul and you loose your warranties!

18,875

bbbttt- YES, you are absolutely correct, however, what they're REALLY saying is if you don't follow the manufacturers recommendation and overload your car or don't pay attention to service for towing then the warranty provisions would not apply. The warranty doesn't apply if you crash your car either. So, your argument doesn't have any sense. It's pretty clear that trailer towing within the guidelines that they have set forward is perfectly fine. And, my trailer is only 33 percent of the total towing capacity. Read this again and you will see what I mean. Sorry.

120

I would agree with you if it were not for lawyers wrote that and they gave Subaru every option to get out of warranty work if there is a hitch installed. Then they will make the determination if you did "overload your car". You know if it is expensive they will not cover it, as I have found out the hard way... like burning oil, HID headlights burn out frequently, ...

18,875

You wouldn't say that pulling my 1,000 pound teardrop trailer is going to void any warranty, would you? Of course, if I tried pulling a 5,000 pound trailer would be a completely different story.

18,875

bbbttt- the fact is, there's a whole section in the owners manual for the Outback on safe towing and yes, they sell the factory receiver hitch for this. Your mixing common sense with nonsense when you make arguments like this. Of course, if you don't follow instructions, they will not help you. That is what their point is here. Sorry, I don't see yours.

18,875

bbbttt, maybe you should sell your car? I'm sure that you don't get the precise mileage estimate that they said you would? What year is your car? I have not heard anything about Subaru headlight issues, but, things do fail on older cars.

18,875

Oh yeah, you have a 2010... Have you had any headlight issues?

18,875

UPDATE- here's the final settlement, see this link, http://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-settles-oil-consumption- lawsuit

120

Markw1952 Oh yeah on headlights. See: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t42139_ds512825

18,875

bbbttt- just read through some of the threads on this. Wow, in some cases, a bulb a month? This must be related to the specific design of the Tribeca , probably a slightly different fitting from the Outback? Have you taken your car to the dealership to inquire about that. Maybe it needs to be sealed better. I see you were an engineer and work on your own car, but, after the 2nd or 3rd time, I'd be at the dealership door.

120

Dealership can't or won't fix a poor design. Only charge me to replace it again. As an engineer I am assessing my options for re- design.. my own.