I own a 2010 outback limited with cvt and 2.5 . Im looking into swapping for 3.6r or WRX . What's the easiest and most economical .

Asked by Dec 03, 2015 at 11:42 AM about the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Are you asking which car is more economical, the Subaru Outback with the 3.6 or the WRX ---they are very different cars.

The Subaru WRX and the STI version has a 2.5 turbocharged Four developing 305 horsepower and 290 foot pounds of torque. By the way, it's a great performance car, but, not a gas saver. And, because it's a turbocharged engine, it leads a harder life. I wouldn't purchase a used WRX STI, you just don't know how it was treated. On the other hand, the naturally aspirated 3.6 H6 engine has the advantage of higher displacement and because it's a six, I would imagine it's smoother at idle and responsive to boot. Of course, it's in a larger car, so, it will not be faster than the WRX STI. But, and this is important, the Subaru Outback with the 3.6 will be a much smoother ride. This would be an easy decision for me, choose the 3.6. BUT, why do you want to trade up from the 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5 Four with the CVT transmission?

Once again im no looking to buy , rather swapping engine and or transmission depending on compatibility with my cvt trans

Reason being , The 2.5 cvt non turbo is a cow , great car but lacks in power .

Axtreme----NEGATIVE, that will not work. They introduced the Subaru Lineartonic CVT on the Outback in 2010. Notice that they didn't offer it on the 2010 Subaru Outback with the 3.6 H6 engine that year. And, they made a 2nd phase CVT transmission for 2015 especially designed for the engine with the higher torque, but, unless you purchased this, which would be cost prohibitive, you would run into trouble. If my answers were helpful to you, please mark this best answer, thanks.

Best Answer

Axtreme, wow, you really think that the 2.5 Four is that slow? You realize that it's 9.7 seconds to 60 with the Four and 7.4 seconds with the 3.6 H6. Yes, it's 2 seconds faster, but, who races an Outback? And, the fuel-efficiency on the Four is so much better , and one more thing, the front end weight of the H6, affects the steering a bit making it less maneuverable. See this link http://www.motortrend.com/news/2010-subaru-outback-2-5i- limited-verdict/

Axtreme, hey, thanks for marking my last answer, I've got a good tip for you, I just had the CVT transmission fluid changed by the dealer in my car, someone recommended it, as I use my car for towing my teardrop trailer, but, it's still a good idea. How many miles are on your car, did you purchase it new and how is it holding up?

Nice to be referred to as "someone", Mark.... Axtreme, don't even THINK about running the 3.6H with the CVT! There are enough brewing problems with the first CVT and the 2.5i. The better way to get increased PERCEIVED power is to drop your tire profile down a size (225/55 17). The lower gearing and center of gravity will indeed result in better handling too. Otherwise trade your "cow" (and it is!) in for the Legacy Sedan, which with the same interior, will be a positive sideways move with no compromises except ground clearance. The "bovine" nature of the 2010-2014 OB is due to BOTH its compromised handling AND the inability of the 2.5i get past the inertia of the heavy, too-tall tires and suspension. I already advised Mark to try an OB/Leg comparo...you'll both be shocked! So maybe wait until you wear out your tall rubber and try stiffening it with a profile drop. Even better would be to go to 18" wheels, but only if that extra 1" of round clearance is that important...as that's a pricier mod.

Adrian Garce

Hey. Guys srry I. Didn't answer . my outback has 118000 and so far no issues . radio ,only but no mechanical. I do want to upgrade to an even swap 3.6r engine with its transmission tho .

This is getting ridiculous! Crazy questions and a guy begging for "points" for Google-cobbled answers. Sigh....