To all car gurus

27,255

Asked by Apr 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM about the 2010 Ford Transit Connect Cargo XL

Ran into something I've never seen before today and thought it was pretty interesting and
could be over looked very easy. Put a left front wheel bearing in a 2010 transit connect
today. Went about it in the normal way pressed hub and bearing out of the knuckle and
pressed them back in pretty straight forward. Drove it and abs light came on, said hmm
checked code, left front wheel speed. Took it back apart checked sensor and found there
was no tone ring for the sensor to read. Got on ford and found the tone ring is housed
inside the bearing itself and has to be pressed in one way for it to read wheel speed. Has
anyone else seen this set up cuz i haven't, had a easy job kick my butt because of it.
Never the less something to keep in mind! It could throw you for a loop with out knowing
that.

97,135

How is bearing marked to tell what side has the ring?

27,255

Shield between inner and outer races is black on one side other side is brown I think. Black is the side that goes towards sensor.

bwosk~

2,235

thank you for the heads up ford are allways changing little things that cause us mechanics a headache same as vauxhall they do this to force dealerships only

20,345

inferior packaging, should have been marked clearly ,after markets will

27,255

It was a ford bearing and ford info said put black side towards sensor. That is the mark. No inferior packaging available.

20,345

who reads directions before assembly anyway, ?

27,255

Not me. Thats why I got to do it twice!

97,135

We do it nice cause we do it twice...

I hate that when that happens~

...even worse when you're the Engineer, and are at the customer's plant, ankle deep in warm dogfood because they won't shut down the line, and your team's packaging machine keeps jammin' up and no where to run to~

Same happened to me, I now see one side of the bearing has a metal dust cover while the other side is plastic, The metal side should be closest to the ABS sensor for correct fitting. No instructions in or on the box it came in.