Transmission stuck in 4th gear.

40

Asked by Apr 19, 2014 at 03:56 PM about the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Quad Cab 4WD

Today my 2009 Dodge Ram got stuck in fourth gear. It will go in neutral and reverse but not in drive. It is stuck in 4th gear in the auto stick mode. It happened while at a stop light. Check engine light came on. The computer scan says a code of PO750 LR Solenoid Circuit.

115

Samething happen to my 2010 Ram and i took it into the dealer. It sat there from Saturday until Tuesday and I was told that it was a problem with the computer system. They toldmeit had to be replaced but not to worry it was still under warranty so NO out of pocket cost to me. They service manager said the part had to be ordered and it would ship from Los Angeles and my truck would be good to go by Thursday the lastest. I recieved the call this morning (Thursday) and David the servicemanager proceeded to tell me the computer was replaced but now the system is reading transmission failure and my truck won't be ready until Friday!! I told them from the beginning I thought it was the transmission and my theroy was dismissed due to I'm justa woman who apparently knows nothing about trucks!!

40

Thanks Beautifulminded77. I found out it was my transmission shift solenoid. It cost me but it works great now. Yes you were right! But they're just milking some warranty pay it seems.

115

Well I'm glad to hear I was right! LOL!! I do know a few things about cars. You have a wonderful day =)

40

2014 ram truck shifter stuck in reverse dealer say bring in and fix at own expense 36000 k guy that answered the phone said they see this a lot mud has got in the way of something under and now won't shift this is Alberta there is gonna be mud they would not tell me what to do to fix this

110

My 2012 dodge ram 1500 5.7 just jerked into 4th gear manual at 70 MPH check engine came on and its throwing a code ( clutch disc solenoid ) I have 100,000 mile power train warranty and I'm literally 17 miles from 100,000 out of state working can anyone help me ?? thanks in advance !!!

70

Shift solenoid pack/block it is easy to replace and straightforward you remove the trans pan filter pull the valve body down and replace the solenoid it is pretty straightforward and simple the part is a little costly i've had to replace two and 30,000 miles

50

to Ickbinnechi with the 2014 Ram in Alberta the arm on the side of the tranny that the cable hooks to has a rock or other debre stuck under it I just had to fix mine

120

My 2010 dodge ram automatic 3500 4x4 got stuck in 4th gear and the mechanic here in town said that I needed to buy the shift sensor A Selinoid cause his scanner was reading code P0750 so I bought it and still stuck in 4th gear. Does anyone know what my problem could be.

30

I had the same problem for a couple of days i took it to a dealer and they said it was the shift solenoid but the didnt have time to fix it until the next week..my truck was dirty from a resent snow storm and the under carrige was full of mud so i decided to go n wash it and my gears are fine now and my check engine went away.. hope that helps some of you.. make sure you go to a carwash with the undercarrige option

Mine did this when i started it. Did yours just when you stopped at a light?

20

Mine was to and the engine light was on. So I decided to remove the - cable on the battery. Working now !!

30

Did that stop it from going in 4th

10

About 2 months ago was the first "stuck in 4th gear issue" Panamera_2232... thank you for the quick fix. I washed my truck and undercarriage and the truck came out of 4th gear. 05JUL2017 - I was getting ready to leave NY and head back home to KS, it happened again! This time I'm stuck in 4th and the engine light is on so, that stopped me in my tracks. Went to AutoZone and the guy tried to scare me by saying it was a major transmission problem. HA! I'm so frustrated! Apparently, this is a common occurrence with our Dodge Rams but Dodge won't fix the issue. Now I'm stuck in NY for another week until the local dealership has an available appt for a DIAGNOSTIC check. The guy at the service counter was really nice and when I told him what was going on he shook his head and said, "it's probably your transmission solenoid but you know, they'll still have to diagnose it and we only have one tranny guy and he also works on diesels." If I heard him correctly, I believe he said that there were others in the shop with the same issue.

30

Could I drive my 2011 Dodge Ram home 40 miles in 4th gear

50

There are a few things for a "quick fix" but eventually you will have to replace the shift censor selinoid. It's very common for them to go out anywhere from 60- 100thousand miles. Its purpose is to let the computer know the temperature of the transmission, if it's to hot computer puts tranny in "limp mode" . So, when it goes bad the computer thinks the tranny is hot and puts it in limp mode. .. now for some advice... don't let a mechanic tell you it takes 2-4 hrs to fix and dont pay more for the part than it costs.. the place I took my truck to told me it would be 500$ for new selinoid and 3-4 hrs labor at 90$ an hr!! So let's go back to advice... the part isn't 500$ it's only about 300$ IF you have the old selinoid "core" which u will and it only takes roughly about 45 minutes to change part from disassemble to reassemble. ( watched a guy on YouTube do it) also while this is being done it's very wise to replace your tranny filter. Oh and FYI.. the replacement part is better than the OEM.. like I said, it's just some advice but if it's going into 4th gear "limp mode" it's best to replace the shift censor selinoid and don't forget the new tranny filter.. oh and one more thing if your doing this yourself remember to unhook the battery..

10

well put brotha. Just happened to me and plan on doing just what you said. Thanks.

Well I have a 2010 Ram 2500 6.7L it's been getting stuck in 4th Gear, but also the Service 4wheel Drive came on and also the ABS light came on. I replaced the tranny sensors, put in a stronger valve body with the solenoid, also the ABS sensors front and back. A long with a new PCM and ABS Module. I need help. The dealer don't know whats wrong with it. The transmission specialists I took it too said it's an electrical problem. I have been just trying to do it on my own sense no one else knows. But still have yet to find the problem.