I purchased a car advertised on Gar Garus as a great deal.I put down deposit to hold vehicle.Since then the dealer discounted selling price twice.I e mailed sales manager that I am entitled to discounted price.Will I get it?

Asked by Dec 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM about the 2008 Hyundai Tucson Limited FWD

On Dec 11th I submitted a information request on a 2008 Hyundai Tucson Limited.The
sales manager sent me the contract,which I signed with a deposit.Most if not all of
deposit was used up by fees,taxes,title etc.3 days later I saw car advertised at a lower
price.And recently discounted again on Dec 20th.They acnowleged reciept of
deposit,so why are they still advertising vehicle? I e-mailed dealer that since I did not
take posession of vehicle I was entitled to discount price.Only option if they say no is
to cancel but may lose deposit.

You signed a sales contract with the purchase price on it. Laws are different in every State about "cooling off' periods but it's just plain bait and switch. The dealer wants folks to contact them so they can start their sales pitch on another car. I'm afraid you are stuck with the contract you signed....and not so sure you can even cancel. Please don't shoot me, just the messenger.

That's one thing I can not tolerate: "Document preparation fee", dealers want YOU to pay THEM to fill out paperwork to sell you a car. $50 to $100. When I bought mu Corolla I saw that and asked him 'What IS document preparation fee? And at least he was honest, he said it's "to pay for my time to fill out contract" ...I balked, and said no deal. I had not signed yet, he hemmed and hawed, 'have to talk to the manager".. and the owners son of the Dealership was there, in his $4000 Italian silk suit and gold tie clip and cuff links, and he knew I was dead serious I would walk out over that..and I would have, but he waived it. It was a lot of money to spend on a car, the $50 was just annoying to see that fee.

Once a deposit is placed on a vehicle it is sold. If you back out during any cooling off period or can't get financing THEN the dealer has the right to put it up for sale again and must return your deposit. Verbal agreements are legal and binding as well (good luck proving what was said though). Example, I'm in New Jersey, last year I bought a '94 Cadillac. The car was in South Carolina. I agreed, over the telephone, to buy it and indicated that I'd be paying cash. The next day the car was removed from the dealer's website. Before he even got my bank draft. That's the proper, legal way to do business. I'm sure laws differ from state to state but in NJ an item is considered abandoned after 30 calendar days. So it's not likely the dealer can claim that either. Not after only 12 days (as of tomorrow 12/23). HTH. -Jim