2008 CRV Rust

10

Asked by Jan 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM about the 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD

I own a Glacier Blue Metalic 2008 CRV with 22,500 miles.  This is the 2nd winter and when recently washed, rust spots appeared on rear hatch door, all 4 side doors, and all quarter panels.  Appears to be "bubbling" from under paint, not from rocks or other debris.  Anyone else experienceing this?

I have a friend with same problem.  We drive the same roads and have approx. same mileage.  She brought her 2008 CRV to dealer and was told rust was caused from envirnmental elements and brake dust.  They told her it would not be covered under any type of warranty.  

Vehicle has been on the road for 1 year and 3 mopnths.  I had hoped this would be my car for at least 10 years, but I don't think I should have to pay to have it repainted after such a short time.

Any info or suggestions you can give would be helpful.

15

my mom's 2009 CRV his rust spots on the chrome already and it's only 1/2 year old i hope its covered by the warrenty. can you show me what your rust looks like

10

Derek, Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the rust. I took the CR-V to my dealer and showed their warranty manager. He did cover the paint repair on the rear hatch door. The "rust" spots I was noticing on the sides and quarter panels are not rust. They actually can be rubbed off with my finger, but I worry I will scratch the paint when I do this. Have your mom contact her dealer to see if they will do anything for her. Be sure to take pictures if they tell you that they will not cover the repairs. That way if the paint is recalled you will have documented it when you first reported it to the dealer. Good luck!

I recently damages the Garnish Assem on the back hatch of 2008 CRV EX and discovered a small rust area that was covered by the plastic chrome.

40

i have a 2010 crv, and the wheels are rusting, dealer said it was because of dirt and i should was it more often. said they would give me 50% on new ones,,,,,that would be 925$. dont think it is my problem. any suggestions on how to get honda to cover this.

110

After taking Honda to arbitration, I have discovered that Honda does not provide any corrosion resistance on their parts. This was stated by the Honda rep in the hearing. Our brand new car was rusted after we owned it for only 3 months. Cars should be manufactured so they can endure road conditions, and we did not even subject the Honda to severe road conditions. Of course, Honda always blames the customer for any defect in their vehicle, but they lost the case...Also for you CRV and late model Honda owners, there was a class action suit recently won against Honda for rusting brakes. Do your best to fight the Honda propaganda machine.

110

My husband and I had MASSIVE rust all over the underbody, parts, bolts, etc. of our car when the car had LESS than 2000 miles on it and we had only own the car for less than 3 months. The car was brand new when we bought it so we had no inspection. Big mistake. But people don't usually have inspections on brand new cars, right? We fought the Honda machine for a long time, with Honda responding like a brick wall. First, they said we drove the car in saltwater on the beach, which we would NEVER do...we are environmentalists...then they said that the rust was due to us driving the car over the mountains 6 times...and the rust was from the salt on the roads...but the rust was so severe on the car that it shocked even the mechanics at the dealers per honda records that they refused to give us. We got dcoumentation from 3 independent mechanics stating that the rust was highly unusual for a car that age. We finally took Honda to arbitration with an attorney. We could have traded the car in for less work, but felt that we needed to handle this situation in an ethical manner (did not want to pass our problems off to someone who bought the car at a dealership) so we took a legal route. We subpoena'd records on the car, including the transportation records because we highly suspected that something had happened in transport to cause this severe rust, and Honda would not give these records up to us. Not responding to a subpeona is extremely bad. During the hearing, the Honda rep walked into the hearing with the records we had subpeona'd. he did not want to give them to us, and got extremely upset when he was forced to give them to us.. and Honda was penalized for withholding the records....No transportation records were in the batch of records, but there were records from customer service with all of their internal communications about the rust being extremely severe...something that did not help their case....and when we were all being sworn in, the Honda rep would not raise his right hand....the arbitrator asked him point blank if he was going to testify and he said yes, and the arbitrator forced him to raise his right hand....Honda is an extremely seedy organization....In short, we won our case, and Honda had to take our car back and give us a check for the value of the car when we documented the problem...but since we could not prove that Honda used a lawyer, we had to pay our own lawyer fees...in the long run, it was worth it to us to do the right thing.