my car sounds like the dashboard is rattling when i step on the gas what could it be

Asked by Nov 18, 2016 at 10:29 AM about the 2008 Ford Focus SES

my car rattles when i step on the gas almost like the dash bboard is shaking but
i don't think it is what could it be someone said it might be pins???

The shaking is likely originating in the drive train, you just happen to notice it in the steering wheel and dash as those are what you see/feel. Check out this youtube vid for sources of shaking under acceleration: - of course with yours being a front wheel drive, you won't have driveshaft ujoints but you will have cv joints.

no there is no shaking the steerling wheel is fine and the car does not feel like it is shaking. it is just a rattling noise sounds like its in the dash but I don't think it is the dashboard does not appear to be moving or shaking at all.

Look for loose body parts like bumper plastic covers that flap when ur driving

There are so many fasteners on a dashboard that it could never come loose on it's own. More likely something just fell inside it. Maybe your friend meant "pens" and not "pins," as in some pens fell into a vent on top, lol. Check all your vent controls too, maybe a mode door came loose (those are the little plastic flaps that direct air according to your dash settings). Do you actually feel the dash itself vibrating under acceleration, or is it more of a "something loose is rattling around in it" feel?

No vibration just the rattling noise that is driving me crazy. I just came in from lunch and I thought maybe it is near the wheel because it is very low in the dash area but I could be over thinking now. I just didn't want to walk into a shop without some idea in my mind of what it could be thank you

Is it a 2012+Ford Focus? I heard it too. I took it to a Ford dealership and the guy said it was fine. Did you ever get an answer?

I just bought a 2017 Ford Focus that had 15 miles on it when I purchased it on September 1. It is two weeks old today. I have a rattle somewhere in my dash area that is driving me crazy. I don't think this is a good sign at all. I am afraid if they start taking things loose trying to find it that it will cause more rattles. This is a brand new car and I am not going to deal with rattles.

The engine mounts in the focus go out so quick and make the dash viberate pretty soon everything will

I promise look up focus engine mounts and you will see so many complaints