2008 Saturn Aura XE - Car won't start.

Asked by Jan 05, 2016 at 12:03 PM about the 2008 Saturn Aura XE

We replaced the starter and it works for about 4 drives.  Now it won't turn over.  Just a click.   Battery was tested and was told it was not the battery.  What else could it be.

20,820

Alternator is not charging. Replace alternator

60

Did you ever get it fixed?

60

I had the same issue! Everything's in working condition and I replaced the starter and ignition and nothing. I even replaced the starter relay number 31 in the fuse box. I did notice when I pulled out the relay that one of the prongs came out kind of easy. I looked at the connection point inside and it looked like if might note be making good contact with the prong so I bent the prong a bit and towards the metal contact point inside the slot and BAMMMM BABY! That was it! Starts every time now! The issue was sporadic also, sometimes it would start and other times the starter wouldn't even turn the motor over at all. Everything worked too but the starter. Well, I hope this helps someone... Reply to this if it does please. Thanks!

I'm currently having the same issue on a 2008 Saturn Aura XE. Had starter replaced but still has staring problem after driving a few times. Took it to the dealer they replaced computer but it still did not fix it. I have taken it back 3 times. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

10

Same issue here. Replace starter the weeks ago and it worked fine. Then went to start it and I was only getting a CLICK. Put another new starter in and it started right up. Drive to the store and click it wouldn't start. I hit the steering wheel and the key then tried again and it worked. That truck worked for about 3 days. Now I don't even get a click but my battery has a 12.55 charge. Could it be the ignition switch maybe? Oh fuses are good. My passenger Windows won't roll up from drivers side door panel. My seat belt light keeps coming on while driving even though it's on and nothing obstructing the latch. Could it be a computer issue maybe? Windows went first seat belt issue came after replacing the first starter 3 weeks ago. Help

60

Im having the same issue with a 2008 Saturn AUra. Have replaced the battery...and checked all the fuses...Switched to old spare key to make sure it wasnt something to do with rfid in key. It seems to me that if the car heats up after running 15-20 mins..then thats when you dont want to shut it off. It will not start until the car has sat for a while. I have experimented with it, and it seems to me the car is getting unusually hot under the hood. Fans are all ok, fluid in radiator is fine....heat works really well so im thinking there arent any air pockets in the radiator....I purchased a starter thinking that it may have a short that only apppears once the engine compartment is warmed up. For now...temp gauge is reading little below half way so its not overheating the engine, and ill just leave it running while i stop somewhere...and use the spare key to lock the doors...Someone know of anything else i can check before i tackle this starter?

Ive noticed that the underhood fuse/relay box loses resistance to the starter relay. I would look into that.

60

Thanks Anthony. That is the next step. Just replaced the starter yesterday evening late. Took the car on a test run today..fired up sweet this morning...shut it off and restarted bunch of times. Was paranoid enough that i just left the vehicle running while in town. Stayed running for about 3 hours. Good enough a test here in Louisiana...was around 90 today. Get home, shut it down, will not start. Im eating the 190.00 receipt for supper tonite. I pulled the battery cover, and pulled the fuse cover, and im thinking it may be the fuse box...read somewhere that I could remove it and the underside might show damage that i can see. Ill just have to see what happens. Im at a dead end if i dont see anything obvious. Do you happen to know if this car has a secondary cooling fan on the radiator that if its not working would prevent the car from starting until it cools? Just a thought, Ive run across alot of issues with cooling fans not running or dragging and a/c's shut down, motors start hesitating and rough idle.. just wondering if I should be hearing a louder fan noise from the fans when the a/c is on. Right now I'm all out and all ears for suggestions.

60

ok, cooling fans all checked out. fans both run and ac fan kicks on and is high speed. looking for videos and pictures of how to pull this fuse box out without creating more issues.

10

10

have you replaced the relay's on the car it self that is the next step for me i am tired of putting money into this car

HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM HEAR WITH A 2008 AURA XE, WONT CRANK AFTER CAR WARMS UP, ONLY WILL START WHEN COOL AT NITE. ITS GONNA BE THE PNP SWITCH ON THE TRANS. CHECK THE ORANGE AND BLK STRIPE WIRE FOR GROUND WHEN IN PARK AND NEUTRAL. BEST PLACE TO TEST IS AT RIGHT REAR HEAD IN THE LOOM. JUST UNDER THE HEATER HOSES. WHEN CAR DOESN'T CRANK YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY FIND THAT THIS WIRE IS NOT GROUNDING. HOPE THAT HELPS YA 'LL..

10

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A CUSTOMERS SATURN AURA XE.AFTER DRIVING IT WOULD NOT START UNTILL OUT DOOR TEMP WAS COOL.THIS SOUNDS CRAZY,BUT HEADLAMP RELAY WAS SHORTING OUT.AFTER DAYS OF CHECKING ,WE BEAT ON FUSE BOX WHILE KEY WAS IN START POSITION AND ENGINE STARTED CRANKING.STARTED TO MOVE RELAYS AND FOUND THAT MOVING HEADLAMP RELAY AROUND WOULD MAKE ENGINE CRANK.REPLACED UNDER HOOD FUSEBOX.PROBLEM SOLVED.HOPES THIS HELPS---SUPER TECH CAR CLINIC,LUBBOCK TX.

60

Thanks for all the replies...I'm still chasing my tail. Yes, Lupe i did try switching working relays with each other. The one i thought was in question was the start relay, however, now after SuperTech's words of wisdom maybe i should start swapping those also? I'll try it for sure, can't hurt. Almac1958 please ellaborate on where i should be looking for the ground wire? (BEST PLACE TO TEST IS AT RIGHT REAR HEAD IN THE LOOM. JUST UNDER THE HEATER HOSES.) Im sorry but that part lost me, but again I'm willing to explore any fixes that others have encountered. Thanks again,

60

ok, new update. i read (or misunderstood ) somewhere that the crank sensor was right above the starter, so i pulled the starter back off. It wasn't there like they said and further reading shows me its on the back of the engine closest to the firewall. When i was putting the starter back on i noticed the small plug in wire that goes to the starter (im thinking the one that comes from the relay) had heat shield broken around it exposing the wire that was inside. It was really close to the catalytic converter (which is super hot at times) so i chose to rewrap it with a piece of heat shield i got off my old parts car. First chance i get ill test to see if this made a difference.

60

from last post "When i was putting the starter back on i noticed the small plug in wire that goes to the starter (im thinking the one that comes from the relay) had heat shield broken around it exposing the wire that was inside. It was really close to the catalytic converter (which is super hot at times) so i chose to rewrap it with a piece of heat shield i got off my old parts car. First chance i get ill test to see if this made a difference." Made no difference.

Having the same issue on my 08 aura v6 except only when car is cold. Eventually itll start right up after clicking for sometimes a short amount of time, sometimes a long time. Started doing it last spring, but only in the morning when cold, by the time i had the money to get it fixed (i assumed it was the starter) it was warm out and i didn't have the problem all summer. Now that its getting cold again at night, I'm having the issue again. I tried replacing relay 31, ive tried hitting the starter, i know the battery and alternator are working great and connections with those are secure, the engine belt turns by hand. Everyone says its the starter, but i really don't think that's it. Anyone have any luck with anything else? Oh, also, sometimes my guages dont work for a while after it starts, along with all my info (oil life, tire pressure, etc) then will start working after driving for a bit, sometimes the check engine light comes on for awhile, but the tester says its good, and light never stays on longer than a trip or 2. I'm only having thisproblem in morning, once i get the car going in the am, it starts fine all day until the next morning

10

I have read all the comments with the Aura not running and I think you all can replace the engine control module in front of the battery might solve the problem.