Why is my 08' Lucerne filled with water?

35

Asked by Aug 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM about the 2008 Buick Lucerne CX

My 08' Lucerne has a water/liquid build up in the rear passenger floor and a new small
puddle on front drivers side. I haven't driven it for about four days, yesterday afternoon it
began building up condensation by the time the sun set the windows was covered with
condensation. This morning the windows are still covered and the entire interior is
moist/wet. Usually there are no signs of any leaks other than the puddles. When I
purchased the car last year the trunk/spare tire well was full of water, I removed a drain
plug and drained all of that but still get water back there. Oh yeah it smells really bad in
there! What in the world is going on?

23,085

If it has a sunroof, the drains could be plugged up. Also did rain the 4 days the car was parked? You can take the car to a good detailer and get the carpets cleaned to get rid of the smell.

35

Thanks Michael, it does not have a sunroof. It hasn't rained here either. I have known about the water in the trunk from almost day one. The rear floorboard issue has been ongoing for a good while, I just didn't realize it was as bad as it is though. I first noticed the drivers side floor about a week ago. Maybe I have been "nose blind" but just recently noticed the smell. I love this car and usually drive it daily. I am now embarrassed by it and don't want anyone to ride in it.

20

Gaskets for rear tail lights leaked from the factory. This allowed water to collect in the trunk floor. Wouldn't affect front floorboard though.

10

Did u ever figure out what was causing the problem?? My lucerne does the same thing

35

Thanks chooch502. Soniapaiz, I never did find any answers for this problem. I finally just traded the Lucerne in for a new vehicle. I Checked the carfax on it (after I got rid of the car/ something I should have done before I purchased it) and now believe that my Lucerne may have been a Lemon buy back because it had WAY too many owners for an '08 vehicle also each owner only kept it for about a year or less. I do wish you luck with your Lucerne.

100

You must remove the back bumper to plug two holes behind it. GM used tape to plug these holes which obviously won't last. I've been dealing with this problem for a couple years now. I finally got to the bottom of it. Also, My front left and rear right floor boards are drenched!!!! But we've had a lot of rain. Today I blew the sunroof drains with a compressor They are located at the front corners of the sunroof. Open the roof and look in the front corners. On top of that, I opened up where the water drains. I found 8 years of build up of dirt, sand, leaves etc. It was piled up at about 4 inches high!! I'm willing to bet that there is build up at the drain exit. The drain exit is located at the back of the front wheel well. Unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the wheel well connected to the car. It's a small bold. Behind it you will find mass build up which is not allowing water to drain. I would have never found this if I hadn't gotten into a fender bender which opened up the plastic lining of the wheel well. Now that I have learned all of this today and have, maybe, solved the issue, my trunk won't open!!!! Ugggg.. I love this car but am not impressed with GM's quality of assembly. Best of luck!

70

Water in trunk repair with pics attached. Roughrider14 I used 2 rubber bicycle patches.

45

My 2008 Lucerne CXL (3800 engine) had the trunk leak after I owned it 2 years. Here's the fix. Vacuum out all the water after pulling the liner, carpet, spare tire, jack, etc from the spare well. Hang the liner and let it drip dry, then spray it with Wet /N Forget. Spray the (now dry) trunk itself with Wet 'N Forget. Pull both tail light assemblies clear and let them hang. Reach up from the bottom (I reached through the bumper brackets) and gently feel for a round rubber patch (one on each side). If the patch is even a little loose, use a good marine sealant (I recommend 3M 4200) to seal it completely around the edge of the seal. Reinstall spare 'tub', spare tire, jack, etc in the spare well. Reinstall the carpet, liner (this is the hard liner at the back, near the bumper), taillights, and cargo net. You should be good to go. If you want to test the fix before you put everything back in the trunk, open the trunk, and gently spray a garden hose (heavy mist) against the rear window. Watch the water travel down the water channels. Check for streams into the spare well.