tire valve / pressure sensor

10

Asked by Sep 21, 2009 at 01:54 PM about the 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

I bought a 2008 Grand Prix in April 09, it has 31000 kms,not long after buying it, every two weeks the front right tire would go soft. Thinking I had picked up a nail or something I left it untill today to have it looked at, I went to put some air into it and noticed the valve stem had corroded and was broken in two,I took it back to the dealer I bought it from, to be told it was not covered in the factory warrenty but they would change for free out of their goodness.now I am worried about the other 3 tires so I coated the stems with vaseline for protection,any other suggestions ?(I live in Ontario Canada)

35

hmm, a 2008 you say? It shouldn't have been corroded to that point in only a couple of years. What most likely happened was the car was parked by someone who didn't know how to drive and it was damaged on a curb. Just make sure to keep your eye on the tire pressure, the others shouldn't be a problem, however, when you have the tires replaced, you should probably have the valve stems replaced as well. It would cost a little extra cash, but better safe then sorry.

10

having examined the position of the valve stem,and the wheel rim, which is a nice sporty polished alloy there is no sign of driver abuse, I was hoping this was a one off situation but the new stem seems to be a complete different design, when I talked to our local tire repair shop he told me this is a common problem with the the design of these years .

10

We have a 2008 Grand Prix and this last fall we had to replace a valve stem and now we had to replace 2 more with in a week here. And it cost $60 a crack. They are just breaking off. You look at the rim and you don't see where it would have got hit or nothing. They are made real cheap. They should figure something else out to fix the problem.