Losing power after an hour 1/2 - 2 hrs or driving. Whats the cause?

Asked by Jun 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM about the 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5 S

If I go uphill, say to Vegas from Cali it losese power. I'll go 80 and it will steadily drop to 60. It also has a whirring sound. Nissan dealership says its not my transmission. Co-workers say its my alternator.
Any suggestions help.

255

I would take a look at the spark plugs and wires. Also, you can try to start the car, while it's running disconnect the negative terminal on your battery and see if the car shuts off. Easy way to tell if the alternator is failing.

110

Did you ever find the answer to this issue ? I am having same issue.

300

Mine is doing same thing seems like 75 80 miles an hour for 2 hours or so car lose power like it's in limp mode let car sit at side of freeway for hour or so then it works for about 45 minutes again

105

I have a 2012 Nissan Altima and had the same issue above. I took it to my Nissan Dealer and here what they discovered. "Tech was not able to duplicate customers concern but upon inspection found CVT fluid to be low. Further diagnosis of low CVT fuild levels tech found saturation from between trans and engine. Tech cleaned off excess fluids and test drove, provided area of the leak coming from torque housing, tech lowered trans and found deformed torque converter seal. Tech removed seal and installed new seal, removed all gasket/sealant from all mating areas and applied new. Torque all mounting points to Nissan specifications, no more leak upon post test drive."

110

my 2010 Altima has the same issue. i found out that there is a TSB for trans cooler kit but due to my mileage will cost me. I was advised that the part is on backorder from Nissan. This is a safety issue that I hope results in a recall before someone is severely injured or killed.

300

I pour cold water an transmission then work fine again for 1 1/2 -2 hours again. Happens in flagstaff and hills from knight to Vegas the most there is a transmission heating problem

170

Like LM4 said you may need a transmission cooler. My girlfriend's 2.5 Altima has the same problem but only when going steeply uphill on a hot day. We've driven to California from Arizona in January and September. In September I couldn't get the car past 55- 60 on some hills and I heard the same whirring you mention. In January we had no problems taking the exact same way there. She drove her to northern Arizona in July and the car wouldn't go past 20 mph on some hills. When the car is driven in Phoenix it doesn't have ANY problems. She took the car to Nissan and they're installing the transmission cooler for free because it's still under warranty but like LM4 said the part is on back order with LOTS of people needing the same part. Hope this helps.

330

i have a 2009 nissan altima 2.5 s it seems like i spend money n more money to fix it and absoluly has no power to take off slower than shyt i went out for a 8 hour trip and the speed limit was 75 my speed in my car kept going down till 45 and i have to stop for cuple of minutes so it could run again at speed limit i have change the air flow sensor didint work i am frustrated such a new nice car super slow

330

ubaldo g wt year is your girlfriends car

330

and how many miles does your girls car has now that they install the cooler does it work better lets say if you are in a red ligth and it turns green and you put your feet in the gas all the way down does it still takes of slow or is it any faster

330

LM4 how much does the cooler kits cost

170

Julio, Her car is a 2012. It only has the issue when we go uphill on a hot day and the cars been running for a few hours. The transmission has a sensor that indicates it's overheating so it goes in a "safe" mode which is slow .We don't notice anything wrong with it when we're in Phoenix even though it's hot. We only have the issue going uphill when it's hot. Nissan still hasn't installed the cooler yet. A lot of cars have the transmission fluid run through the radiator somehow to cool it. For some reason the 2.5 Altima doesn't.

330

dats some bull shyt isin it ubaldo i call my nissan dealership here in nebraska and all they can say tht they gonna check it out why would they make cars that there gonna be having problems and are not gonna be safe to to drive lets say if you are in the freeway going 6o after so long it could be a long trip and you gotta make a quick decision to swich lines but the cars speed its not responding rigth you could be introuble i am gonna be writing a letter to the nissan headquaters

80

i was checking this thread to find an answer for my wife's '09 2.5. it started having the same power loss on hill's over a year ago on road trips. The transmission just broke on a recent road trip and we had to get the transmission rebuilt out of town. It drove fine all the way home(3 1/2hrs) Now the car is completely losing power after driving for about a quarter or a half mile. I have performed all the relearn procedures that are described in the Chilton manual for after the battery has been disconnected but it hasnt helped. Neither did the new plugs. The manual seems to be pointing to a problem with the PCM. Since the car has no problem idling, it seems like maybe there is a bad sensor somewhere that is preventing the fuel from getting to the motor. I just don't want to take it to the dealership if I don't have to after the 3k I just dropped on it. Anyone had their car get that bad?

130

I was on my way from Kentucky to ohio last night and my car started to loose power its a 2008 altima 2.5s and when I pulled over to side of road I shut it off for about a minute than started it back up while in park I pushed the gas to rev it up a little and it just stayed and idling speed. rpms didn't move and no sound from engine of it reving up.

130

When we turned around to head back home 20 minutes later it acted as if nothing was ever wrong with it. Any ideas??? Please message me on here or facebook to kacy Hopkins or Richard harbor JR however we will get the message quicker on facebook

30

I think we all should contact Nissan and let them know about this issue. this has happened twice to me. Once on a trip to Tahoe and another on a trip to Pismo.

170

Lasia. Nissan knows about the issue. You should contact Nissan customer service directly. They will probably install it for free but there might be a wait for the part.

60

Hi I just bought a 2009 Nissan altima. I drove it 30 minutes away and it started losing speed. It did it again today. It has a sound like a screech. Plz someone help. Is it my transmission.

40

I have a 2010 Nissan altima and while going 75-80mph it loses power. I contacted my local Nissan dealership and the mechanic said he never heard such a thing. My sister has a 2012 with the same issue.

140

This is the 2nd time my car has done this. Both times coming from Sac to Reno. The semi's are passing me cause I'm going 40-45 with my foot all the way to the floor. I'm calling the mechanic and making an appointment today.

70

I looked up the Nissan corp on Bibb.com they have an alert to contact them at 1-800-647-7261 option 7. Have vin, mileage on car, dealer bout from, diagnosis of problem handy. I think they know the cvt trams is faulty and they are trying to prevent a huge lawsuit.

140

I was told to call 1-800-647-7261 #7 I was hesitant but when i googled the number its Nissan. I will be calling today. My car also loses power after driving for a while uphills. Mechanic not the dealership said I need a transmission fan.

140

Called the Nissan number and they were no help. Acted like they have never heard any complaint similar to mine. I think its time for us all to band together and push the issue with Nissan. They need to fix this issue on everyone's cars.

70

Go to bbb.com and look under Nissan corp and file a complaint. Nissan has a alert because of all the complaints on there cars.

70

You can read all the complaints on the better business bureau website about the Altima.

40

Nissan was no help. If u have more than 65000 miles on your car , they say there is nothing they can do

140

I have under 65K miles and they were still NO help. I paid almost $700.00 to have it installed.

170

I keep getting emails concerning this issue because it's summertime and it's hot. The issue is the transmission overheats and it doesn't have a transmission cooler.the transmission has a built- in sensor to slow down when its over heating that's why you lose power and that's why you slow down. My girlfriend and I recently went up hill in Arizona during the summer and we no longer have the issue because the transmission cooler kit was installed. Nissan installed it for free because she threatened to sue them because it is unsafe. It actually is very unsafe if you're driving your car suddenly loses 20 or 30 miles per hour and somebody rear ends you. you should go to Nissan and not to the dealer because they will try not to do anything. She actually had Nissan pay for a rental car for visiting her daughter in northern Arizona while she still had her Altima in Phoenix and the transmisiĆ³n cooler was on back order.

140

I called Nissian directly as suggested on here and because I'm out of my warranty they said sorry nothing they could do. I agree it's very unsafe that's why we paid the $700 and had the cooler kit installed. Sucks that Nissian isn't taken care of everyone! I told them when I called Nissian and said I guess we need to get a class action law suit going regarding this issue.

30

I think that is the only way to wake Nissan up. They're putting all our lives in danger.

70

Go to car complaints.com there are a lot of prob with the 2009 thru 2013 models

I have a Pontiac grand prix gtp2003. Just had a transmission rebuilt last month ran perfect but the engine light was still on. Last week I was driving foot on gas and all sudden the speed went down the car started slowly getting quit so I pressed on gas and it started driving for few seconds then jumps a few times and 're did it all over again so I pulled over turned it off then it wouldn't restart. The first shop said it's a fuse and another said a fuel pump which is in my tank . I can't afford to pay almost a thousand again so I'm hoping it's something simple if you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know !!!!

20

THE TRANSMISSIONS GO BAD!! I GOT A FREE NEW TRANSMISSION FROM NISSAN !! Hey, guys I had this same problem in my 2010 altima 2.5 sedan about a year ago. I would lose power on the freeway and had to exit the freeway several times cutting across traffic in a VERY dangerous way. I did my research and so many people have had this problem that Nissan extended the cvt transmission warranty until 120k miles. I went in prepared with a copy of the extended warranty (Google Nissan cvt transmission warranty extension) and let the dealer know that I know exactly what is going on. Threaten them by letting them know all the dangerous situations you have been in because of this. Exaggerate to get your point across that you are the one in charge and demand a new free transmission and have done your research. I did this and ended up with a new free transmission.

20

Shortly after the transmission went bad and I had Nissan replace it for free because of the extended warranty, my fuel pump went out. I was driving and the car lost power again except this time the car wouldn't turn on. It was a fuel pump problem. Both of those repairs were done around 107k miles. At 114k miles the front bank 1 catalytic converter went bad and was throwing a P0420 code through the check engine light. Now at 118k the car is acting up again. It seems as if the engine or the transmission are not working properly. The car revs fine in park, but when I drive the engine sounds rough and does not increase speed when I floor it. The engine makes a strange sound and at the same time it seems as it could be a transmission problem. I will keep you updated. I am taking the car to the shop on Tuesday after the weekend.

140

I ended up taking mine to an independent mechanic and had the transmission fan installed. It cost $700.00. Nissan wouldn't help me and I felt this was a huge safety issue and not worth our life! The information above you told me to google would apply to my car but it states it ended in 2010. I will NEVER buy another Nissan they don't take care of their customers. They should have a recall for this item!

10

It should be Recalled. I'm still waiting for my transmission cooler to arrive since 2mos.ago and today my 2008 Altima has that problem.and I'm still waiting.

140

I remember reading the part was on back order but my mechanic got it in less then a week. Seems like Nissan is trying to pull a fast one. Keep on them! I totally agree should be recalled!

10

This weekend had the same problem and have had the problem before. This time almost got into an accident due to it. Could not accelerate to safely avoid the other vehicle. Ironically the other vehicle was a newer version of the Altima. Something needs to be done before someone dies.

140

We had the fan installed and so far it has seemed to help. It wasn't cheap though and we had to pay for it, Nissan wouldn't. I think it was $500.00

55

My Nissan Teana (Altima) 2008 250XE developed a problem of starting. Firstly, it burned the gasket and the head of which got repaired by mechanic and engineer and the vehicle started moving. After taking a long drive around the city, the car stopped when backing home. What happened is that after climbing a low hill on the highway, the speedometer dropped from 100 to 0 (zero) and could not accelerate anymore even when I pressed the accelerator. It stopped and I parked it at the side of the highway. It had to be toward back home. The mechanic has been working on it but no success, changed battery but no success. It won't start at all. What can I do or what is your suggestion?

My car seems to have all the same problems as above but on mine when the overheating seems to begin, my rpm's suddenly rev up and down for a while. Does this happen to anyone else?

10

2012 Sentra, 100,500 miles on it. Last week started to rev high on hills, but only on my way home from work and would slow way down. Service Engine light came on, took it to dealer and they said nothing wrong, reset light. This was Saturday. Today the light came back on and the problem started again. It is warmer today than it had been Sunday or Monday. Live in Massachusetts. Could this be transmission cooler problem mentioned above?

10

So guys just for the record there is an ongoing issue with the altima which has a CVT transmission. If you own one which I do a 2012 they extended the warranty to 120,000 miles for any that have the CVT in it. It is an ongoing issue. It is posted on the service board call make an appointment. I have been having the same issue with mine around 65-70mph and sometimes with cruise control on it looses speed. If your NS cvt 2 fluid is low it will cause the issue. I hope this helps with talks ongoing issues

140

When I called the dealership they said my warranty was up because I had over 35K miles. I paid for the fan on my transmission and haven't (knock on wood) had any issues.

10

@jimmtaylor. It states that it is on those cvt issue. They have extended the warranty. It is posted on their message board. I have called and confirmed and I also have a friend who works for nissan who initially told me about the warranty have been extended.

140

Thanks if I have further issues I will have to look deeper into this. Thank you!

20

Just had this happen to me Friday on my way to WI. Then again yesterday on my way back. On the way there it happened with an hour and a half until I was at my destination on the way home it happened an hour and a half until I was home. Had to pull over let it sit for 10 minutes then started it and everything was fine period no warning signs on the dash... Was doing about 80 miles an hour and pedal to the floor will not accelerate RPMs would not move. Car did have an awful whine sound to it when it was happening. After reading this board I just did some research and Nissan has extended the warranty to 10 years/120k miles. It also States in their letter to the Nissan owners that anybody that has paid out of pocket to have this taken care of they will reimburse you for your costs. You can go to www.nissanassit.com.

Michelle, Did you get the transmission cooler put on your car and if so were you reimbursed for it? I am having the same issues. Brandon Gaona

140

No I called Nissan and they were very unhelpful. NO reimbursement.

20

@Bgaona I'm passed the cooler kit. My transmission is shot. A blown trans with no prior transmission problem. Its sitting at the dealer. I have already dealt with Consumer Affairs. Their responses are scripted. Today I filed a claim with BBB, Illinois Attorney General, NHTSA, and called 2 class action attorneys. When I get home I'm calling the 3 major news networks here in Chicago.I have an extended warranty and they won't pay for a new trasmission. They want me to get a used with 61k miles. They said if I want a used I have to pay the difference but they'll still pay the labor of $1375. I ask nissan to pay $1740 and they refuse. I assured Nissan this isn't the end of it. Stay tuned......a class action needs 40 people. I may need your support!! I am determined to make them take accountability for willfully and knowingly using defective and unsafe transmissions......100% pure negligence!!!

20

**Should say if I want the new transmission no miles I pay the difference.

140

I'm in, I think its horrible that we are putting our families in these unsafe cars and Nissan isn't being held accountable.

20

I completely agree. Also,if everyone affected could please sign this petition. It's another way to get us heard. https://www.change.org/p/jose-munoz-nissan- should-recall-and-replace-faulty-cvt-transmissions? recruiter=587079809&utm_campaign=signature_rec eipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petiti on

140

I can't access the petition.

I have been having the same issue with my 2009 Altima 2.5. I was thinking of just going and having the transmission fluid flushed. From what I'm seeing it's not going to fix the issue. Does anyone know if Nissan has started helping if not I'm in on the suit.

This just happend to me bummer and my car is payed off i have 2008 nissan altima and it stoped on me and no rpm power bummer some one help plz what can i do. Contact me at palomares1900@gmail.com thanks

After reading your responses I am sickened at the fact that I bought my daughter a used 08 Rogue that is now having the problems you all have described. I have had $500 worth of sensors replaced and still transmission trouble. She drives 4 hours home to East Tennessee with the Smoky MTN. Hills and on about hour 2.5 it starts slowing down and the pedal is to the floor and it won't go more than 35 or 45. So now I guess I will start checking on this cooler kit. It is very dangerous on I-75-I-40 to have your car doing that. We have 121k miles on it.

140

Read all the comments ans maybe you can get some resolution. I'm sorry we are all in the same situation, it's annoying!

I have a 2005 Altima that I just got an today I just had to call triple A to come get me an my son off he side of the highway. After about a half hour driving the car just stopped accelerating an lucky I had to roll to the side to the emergency lane. The car will run an doesn't stutter like it will die out or anything. It just won't go an will roll maybe 2 mph. I put the pedal to the floor an the nothing but a roll happens. This is dangerous an a newborn in the car. I've read everything an I'm not sure it it's the transmission but it seems like it cuts gas from the engine or something. Another page I read it's a sensor that the brake could be going bad an the sensor sets into limp mode that it's not sure if the brake has been applied so the car wants to stop accelerating.

20

I can assure you it is the transmission. I had no stutter or any warning for that matter. I was simply driving on the highway and went to change lanes and it wouldn't accelerate. When I got home and took it to Nissan within hours they confirmed it was the transmission.

10

@Michelle_M After reading through the threads i gotta say i am GLAD that im not alone!! I have been dealing with this issue for years and never thought to look up the issue. im trying to access the petition but its taking me to a "Search petition" page. If you could please paste the direct URL for it So we may join the movement. Thanks.

140

I also wanted to sign the petition but couldn't get the link to work either. If you get it to work please let me know so I can sign it too. Thank you!

20

I have a 2009 Nissan Sentra. When I bought it brand new off the lot at a Nissan dealer, I took it to Vegas. Going up hills it started to lose power. I pulled over and little sit for a but. I looked under the hood looking to see if I could find anything. When I came back to California I went to the dealer and asked why it did that. They said the CVT fluid over heats and it's normal in these cars. He said these cars aren't meant to drive long distances like to Vegas. I said well next time I buy a car then I have to ask how far can I drive it? BS!!!! In 2014 my catalytic went out. Nissan wouldn't fix it bcuz it was out of warranty till another mechanic said I was still covered under the emissions state warranty. Nissan finally fixed my catalytic in March 2014. In Nov 2014 my engine blew out. Nissan wanted to charge me $6k to fix it. I took it to a different mechanic. After the engine was rebuilt the car still drove funny. The mechanic that rebuilt the said the catalytic was bad. This was in March 2015. I was upset bcuz Nissan had supposedly fixed right b4 the engine blew out. I took it back to Nissan and they refused to fix the catalytic bcuz it was out of warranty. Called Nissan's consumer affairs and they refused to help me. It's now Oct 2016 my engine blew out again. I had a new 1 put in. Driving to San Francisco my car lost power once again. I was driving in the truck lane going 40 mph. I couldn't get off the freeway cuz there was no gas stations for miles. When I finally did, I let it sit for about 30 min. I got back on the freeway and it drove as if nothing was wrong with it. So damn frustrated bcuz of all the money I've spent on this car. Mind u they keep telling me something is still wrong with the catalytic. I wish I knew my rights and if there's anything that can be done in my situation.

20

I am willing to do anything to get Nissan to do some kind of recall so that everyone can get the help needed.