do I need to service the transmission regularly

Asked by Jan 09, 2013 at 01:52 PM about the 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5 S

the manual doesn't say anything about servicing the transmission -- but my repair man says it's good
"protection"? He'll charge $170 for what he calls "service transaxle"

For $170 just exactly what would he do? An automatic transmission never needs to be "flushed" and the tranny fluid never needs to be changed. Ever. He would probably look at the CV joints and call it good and there goes $170 for nothing.

6,010

That sounds reasonable . It is going on 6 years old beter safe than sorrry $170 is alot cheaper than a new transmission or rebuild

6,010

He should replace the filter and change the fluid and inspect the whole system If the fluid flashes witch is burning or has metal fileing in it witch is comon from normal wear and tear. Fluid flashing normalally only happen when the tranny is slipping or shifting wrong. You would be looking at alot of money to rebuild here they start at around $1200 up to $2500 depending on how bad it is

102,855

Call around to other shops for quotes. Usually they remove the pan, replace the filter and refill.

315

If you have a CVT its not able to be repaired anyways, so save your $

5,475

Unless your tranny is a 6 speed it's a cvt no need to flush a cvt for a very long time if ever the fluid does not degrade in a cvt. And there is not a filter in cvt's

For anybody wondering CVT is Continuously Variable Transmission it does not have fixed gear ratios, it does not really even shift, but rather goes through higher and higher output RPM's with hydraulics

100

I also have a 2008 altima and my dad is suggesting I go and get the transmission checked. No current problems but it is at about 103k miles and my last car, a toyota camry had the transmission go out suddenly after about 10 years with no mechanical problems prior to. I just want to be proactive so I won't have the same problems. Any suggestions before I call the dealership and they have me come in and pay $100+ anyway? Thanks!

290

I work for Nissan if you have a cvt transmission you do not need to replace filter or flush transmission at all .they are solid sealed transmission.

40

You do have to have them flushed and you better find someone that knows what they are doing because we were told they do have a filter and that's why ours went out but the people at Nissian won't tell you that . I think they want the money to replace the transmission !

60

I just checked the scheduled maintenance manual, and the CVT needs fluid changed at 30k miles.

20

The CVT transmission from 2009 and 10, are "Non Serviceable" Bull Shit. The CVS Trans will be the first thing to let go. There is NO internal trans filter on them, but a fluid cooler return line filter. Your fluid needs to be changed and so does that return line filter, at 60 and 90k miles. The 09 and 10s have dip sticks right????? Yes. Therefore they are serviceable. Don't touch the trans fluid in a Nissan with the CVT trans and I bet your cars won't make to 100k.

20

The person autocomnissan, does not work for.Nissan. on the 09 and 10s there's a dip stick. With dipstick means serviceable trans. There not sealed, it has a 20 bolt pan and even a drain plug if you look hard enough and have any mechanical know how. 08 and earlier has a in trans filter, and 11 and newer also have a filter. The 09nand 10s do NOT, but have what is called a return cooler line with filter. They still require to be serviced are 30 60 90 and 150k miles. Yall need to get away from the.computer and go ask a technician. Bet he tells you this exact same thing.

10

I have a 2009 Altima with a CVT......where is the fluid cooler return line filter? I can't find any information on it where it's located.

70

Ok on a nissan and honestly most CVTs in general they ARE meant to be serviced but not like transmission in the past. They do NOT have a serviceable filter. They are basicly just drain and refills but the big thing and the most important thing is that you MUST absolutly MUST use nissan OEM CVT fluid not aftermarket does not matter if they are the best brand in the world. If you do not within 10K the trans will be toast. Ive seen it before the way they are made on the inside they cant take a different oil even in the slightest bit. That why there is so much confusion on the topic because for years people would use any CVT fluid and then shortly after the trans would go. These transmission are basicly throw aways when they go back you cant rebuild them like other transmissions the way the belt is ran on the inside the fluid is very crucial. So do the service but buy it from the dealer. I am an independant mechanic but when it comes to these use the dealer fluid.

20

I have a 2008 Rogue and was told by the dealer that it needs to be serviced every 45,000 miles. The trans warranty had been extended to 120,000 miles. However my Nissan dealer charges $200. It's pricey.

70

Everything u said is true and most new Nissans the warrantee is120k. Two hundred is a little high but not insane the fluid is about 20 bucks a quart but like I said it must be from Nissan. NO EXCEPTIONS. You can have the service done at any local shop which should be cheaper. Just make sure they buy the oil from Nissan so if the oil is 20 a quart you should have about 80 bucks in parts and the labor will be between 25-45 bucks so the cost to service the trans is about 110-130 bucks. And it's worth it cuz if you don't and the trans does go it's around 5 grand to replace so it's worth it. Just use OEM fluid

20

I have a 2013 altma,Ibrought this car in January 2017 so I recently had my first oil change at a Nissan dealership.Once there I was informed that there was a recall on the CVT:so once the car was serviced I was informed that I needed differential fluid.The dealer wants me to pay $200 for a recall issue. I need advice on my next step.Thanks

I have automatic 2010 Altima SL do I need to change transmission oil and how often?