Clunking noise and lurching forward when slowing to a stop, ABS icon flashes.

Asked by Jan 08, 2015 at 05:23 PM about the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD

I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid with 70k miles that has started acting strangely when
coming to a stop.  Happens occasionally but with increasing frequency.  Gradually
braking, at around 10-15 mph, I will hear a "clunk-clunk" metal sound underneath the
front of the car (driver's side?) and the car will lurch forward a few feet as if no one is
applying the brakes.  Sometimes the ABS/traction control warning light briefly flashes.  
Dry, flat roads.  We've owned the car since birth and it has been routinely maintained.  
What's up?  The dealership has not been able to replicate the symptoms as of yet.

ABS sensors on the axle may have cracked and are not conecting well. Behind the rotor at the axle is a 'tone' pressed onto the axle there are 4 of these. They are made of aluminum and will crack or break when the axle gets to much rust on it. (quick fix while driving shift to neutral it should stop) With mine I got a 300 dollar charge for one. I used JB weld on the others. (no a professional fix, nor permanent.)

"tone ring" or abs sensor ring

I am so glad to have found this answer to the very same problem we are having with our 07 Escape Hybrid. Having had several mechanics ride with us....of course it wouldn't do it all the time when they rode in the car....but it is getting worse as stated in the original question. None of the mechanics seemed to be able to suggest what it might be. Now I feel that we have at least something to give the mechanic to look at & hopefully get this fixed. Sounds like it might be big $$$$ to fix?

the ring itself is cheap less than 25 dollars it is the labor involved, cause it is like removing the axle. This was the reason I used JB weld on mine. Without removing anything but the tire. gently sanding the area underneath and 'glueing' it back in place. The vehicle has 4 of these. a small crack lets it slide out of place and then the sensor can not read the nubs properly. Even when it is seated properly it still mis reads the crack every now and then. If your mechanical you can you tube it and find an easier way to fix it. If you do it yourself you save the labor cost.

Thanks for the info...I really appreciate it very much. So relieved that it was not a transmission problem or worse.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm having the same issue with the 2013 Fusion Hybrid. The trouble, of course, is trying to reproduce this but the great description that started this thread will help me describe it. Thanks for your suggestions.