My brakes no longer work and I'm forced to use the hand brake does this mean all my breaks need replacing ?

Asked by Aug 22, 2015 at 08:37 AM about the 1990 Acura Legend L

77,715

Most likely yes, and if you keep using the hand brake it will also quit very soon, it is not designed for that, it is only meant for to help hold the vehicle when parked. That is why it is called a park brake.

142,835

Uh, yeah, would thing so. Geez, you drive around with no brakes except the E-Brake, aka Parking brake? Get your brakes fixed before you kill somebody

77,715

Get it fixed asap as you are a hazard when driving.

77,715

Morning Fordntut.

142,835

Back at ya tennisshoes.

31,365

A car being driven around with no brakes by a driver that is using the parking brake has an idiot behind the wheel.

31,365

Morning FordNut and Tennisshoes.

7,240

Harry in the Flintstone's put his feet through the floor ... but with this hot weather it may become Brutal. You must have had some warning your brakes were going .. most of us are parents and God Forbid one of our Kids gets in your path.. There is a small chance you lost all your brake fluid but I suspect all the brakes have worn so low that the brake cylinders are at there limit

142,835

Really, Tom. I lean to the brake fluid low/empty or failed master cylinder. Brandon - get a sledge hammer and bust a hole through the floorboard so you can do that... stick your foot through the hole and that is about as good. It's not difficult to check the fluid. Simply look. And Bob.... preferably the behind the front wheel. In reverse, not steering wheel. Please Brandon do not drive in my neighborhood, we have kids and Grandkids. Also plenty of trees. That is one way to stop.

142,835

Ok, enough fooling around. It's serious life-and death discussion This is the master cylinder on an Acura

142,835

And this is the proportion valve. All master cylinders are two-stage, if one goes out you will always still have brakes on two wheels, some cars front only, some cars rear only, and still yet one wheel on each side. Either front or rear, never both wheels on same side.That would cause severe steering problems

142,835

All these images will go full screen.

142,835

Then if the other line has a leak....

142,835

How many of you guys are old enough to remember the Master Cylinder?

77,715

That looks like the villain on the old Felix cartoon.

142,835

Yep! Master Cylinder and Rock Bottom.. and the 'perfessor;. always trying to steal Felix's Bag of tricks.

7,240

I have actually seen the piston come completely out ... it becomes obvious that at least one or perhaps all the rotors are shot .... Let your fingers do the walking on this repair Brandon .. because Acura Rotors could get into the 6 months to pay category

142,835

Yep Tom, Acura is like Lexus or Infiniti... Really are just Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. But if you have one of them it's assumed you are rich and can afford to be fleeced.