Stabilitrak and traction control light going off with blinking check engine light and rough idle

1,500

Asked by Divedavid Aug 22, 2017 at 05:21 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 4WD

From everything I've read this
seems to be a common problem
from the 5.3 with no resolution on
problem maybe somebody should
start a class action suit against
Chevrolet to fix this problem
where to recall.

1,360

ususally a flashing check engine light indicates a misfire, best to have the codes check first and see which cylinders are misfiring, could be something as simple as spark plugs or a loose vaccum hose, same with stability trac, module needs to be scanned for codes first

1,500

So read the codes and everything and it came up P0 300 which is a general misfire went through switch coils two different cylinders coils are okay went through disconnected injectors one at a time until engine stuttered. Cylinder 7 no change when disconnected ordered fuel injector we'll see if cures problem

1,360

p0300 indicate random cylinder misfire, usually the cause is 2 or more cylinders misfiring, if you know someone with a higher end scanner that does live data you can actually see which cylinders are misfiring in real time (makes things a lot easier).

1,500

The biggest problem with cylinder 7. Cylinder 2 had an occasional misfire so replacing both but definitely not as bad as number 7

1,500

And we were looking at it live as it was doing it with the scanner.

1,500

Two new fuel injectors on cylinder 2 and cylinder 7 all new plug wires and plugs and new coil pack on 7 problem solved runs great

980

Mine was a chewed through wire on the #2 coil pak(the red wire), stabiltrak and traction lights, DIC indication of both off, flashing check engine light, rough idle hard 1-2 shift.Repaired the connection and all is good so far.

6,770

I am having the same issue with the Stabilitrak. The light came on it is idling real rough and there is a ticking noise. I have searched and searched and this seems to be a common problem I have contacted a lawyer who represented the Dex Cool case back in 2008. I need help getting this thing going so please contact me on here. I had my motor rebuilt in 2015 because I lost compression on number 7 cylinder I spent over $3,000 having the motor rebuilt. Let's get this thing going because GM is aware of this problem and has done nothing to help resolve it so the more people we get the better case we will have. I cannot afford to have my motor rebuilt every few years and I am not going to pay to have a motor rebuilt that only has 27,000 miles on it.

6,770

Please help me get this going. If enough people come together then we can get these issues resolved. I've already contacted an attorney. Email me Chrisdmc2075@gmail.com

570

Am having same issue with my 2012 Silverado. I can disconnect the battery and after re connecting it when I start the truck all seems normal until I put it I drive and the stabilitrack, check engine light come on and the engine runs very rough. The truck is currently at the local chevy dealer where I bought it in 2012. They basicly want to rebuild the engine but I can’t afford the expense. Seems to me that if every thing resets after disconnecting the battery there mst be a simple solution with out replacing everything and hoping it solves the problem.

6,770

I replaced the plugs in mine and so far it's been ok but I know there's more to it than just the plugs. Email me at chrisdmc2075@gmail.com. I've talked to a lawyer so get in touch with me

930

I had Stabilitrak and traction control lights along with flashing check engine. The idle was rough. Problem is one of the variable lifters is stuck. Pulled the valve cover and one wasn't working. Costly job to repair.

1,320

Hey, I recently had my 08 Silverado ls having bad shifts like, only shifting if I take the foot off the the gas and hit it again. The power is too low doesn't go over 60miles and blinks the check engine and traction control lamps every time I try to overtake. Can somebody help please?.

340

exact problem as stated in the title and had ignition coil 7, spark plugs and plug wires replace now all is back to normal

430

My car (2015 Traverse) did this same thing today for the second time in 2 weeks. While accelerating (maybe 40mph at that point) the stability/traction control flashes and states that its turning on and off, while the check engine light flashes. Power is obviously lost and the car is no longer accelerating/is acting funny. Kind of scary, especially with my kids in the vehicle! Both episodes lasted maybe 1 minute total, then the car is fine. I took it in to our certified dealership and they couldnt find the issue. They said 1 cylinder showed a misfire, but they arent sure why. They did look at the spark plugs and said those were fine. I did call GM corporate because I noticed this seems to be a common GM issue......anyone have a REAL fix for this issue?!

550

Same problem here. Dealership said a bad lifter on cylinder 7. Seems unlikely, and they want $4,000 to repair. Hoping to find out more soon.

510

2014 GMC Sierra 1500. As of last night, it is showing the exact same symptoms as others have listed. Rough idle, stabilitrak light on, flashing check engine, rough shifting, and a loud tick coming from the driver side top of engine. Fired it up this morning after disconnecting the battery, and while the tick is a little quieter (not by much), all other symptoms remain the same. Add another one to the lawsuit. I won’t be spending $4k+ on a rebuild as I haven’t even made my first payment yet. (Looks like I should have kept my perfectly running Duramax w/ 340k Miles).

320

Our 2008 Suburban just started doing this. Check engine light flashing, stabila track on screen. I replaced all spark plugs and wires. No change. I don't have buckets of money to throw at this. The government shouldn't have bailed out this shady company. They should have failed just like other businesses. Never again Chevy.

550

got a few other opinions on mine, and verified it is somewhat common for the lifters to fail on these. Mine has 118K miles, so I guess i'm glad we made it this far. Luckily I found someone who used to work at a dealership who can help with the repairs for much less than what dealership wanted. Could be worse I guess? Good luck everyone!

640

I have a 2008 GMC Serra. I have a similar issue: the stabilitrak and traction control light come on and the check engine light flashes every time I press the eccelerator about half way when going up hill. Has anyone had the same issue?

250

I have a 2010 Silverado, and had this happen twice. First time was a bad spark plug. This time, all spark plugs are in good condition. Waiting for family member to bring a scanner. Guessing it will say misfire somewhere. Chris, I'm in.

510

I have a 09 Silverado 1500 just recently started the rough idle service stabiltrak and traction control. All happened at the same time kinda weird

300

I have the same issues as the title. I had this issue once before about 3,000 miles ago and the dealer replaced my spark plug and that fixed the problem. Now I realize that isn’t the root cause of the issue but if that’s the only thing that’s going bad is it better for me to spend $1000 on spark plugs over the life of the truck and just replace them myself every 3,000 Miles or spend $4,000 on fixing the root cause of the issue? Obviously I’m not happy with this but does anyone know of any other issues this is causing other than the spark plugs to go out?

300

I have a 2014 Silverado 5.3L V8 with 39k miles. A couple months ago I had check engine light with code P050D, cold start rough idle. I’ve tried every cheap fix...higher octane fuel, seafoam thru the tank and throttle body, cleaned mass airflow sensor. Truck has idled rough for awhile... dealership shimmed the engine mounts, but it didn’t fix anything. Now I’m getting the flashing CIL with the stabilitrak on briefly when I start it. My Bluetooth OBDII scanner shows a misfiring #6 cylinder, which has gotten worse over the past week. Code P0306 is now present with the P050D. I’m hoping it’s just a spark plug or fuel injector at worst. A 39k mile truck shouldn’t have misfire issues...unacceptable for a vehicle that costs as much as it does. Most annoying thing is that it takes a lot of trial and error to diagnose and finally fix, which can mean several trips back and forth to the shop when they think they fixed something but actually didn’t. My plan is to have a local repair shop test for plug or injector issues since I’m out of bumper to bumper warranty by 3K miles, ugh. If it’s still a problem, I’m probably looking at an AFM lifter issue. That would fall under the powertrain warranty, and GM can pay for the repairs and loaner truck instead of me while they fiddle with it for who knows how long.

1,320

Hello guys I'm back on the road after a month of try and error and finally I got to the problem!. All scanners will tell you some code always but the problem comes with miscommunication btn the ecu and it's sensors. You just need a system reboot simple!

80

Same issue out of the blue. I am going to have the code read today but it is under extended warranty so hopefully the dealership will fix it.

160

2011 Silverado 1500 with 5.3L. Rough idle, only occasionally the stabilitrak light comes on. Scanned and got the same P0300 code. Going to swap plugs and wires for now and see if that will help out. I'll try and scan live data one of these days and see what I come up with.

320

I have an 08 Sierra 6.0. Same issues. Tried plugs and wires with no fix. Codes are the same with misfires. The first time this happened it was cylinder 1 misfire. The sound and way the engine was running I knew it to be the lifter but my ten year old truck with only 80k miles should not be having this issue. Took to dealer and they said 4K to change all lifters or 7k to replace engine. I’m not a newby around engines so I changed the AFM lifter in cylinder 1. The truck ran like a dream. Then 7 months later cylinder 7 AFM lifter went bad. Guess what? Two months later it’s doing it yet again for cylinder 1. If this is going to be an issue for everyone that has these series of trucks then I suggest y’all sell your vehicles and get something else. This problem isn’t going to stop on the first fix it seems.

140

I have same problem on my 07 silverado, code for stabilitrak problems and fuel injector 8; this the third time time happen, I has replaced the brake light switch (29.95) each time before, this always seem to work, it restored curse control, brakes light,lack of power,rough shifting,and stabilizing service message, reset code and no more engine light, until next time, I have posted many time on craiglist to sale this junk, I purchased a Ram in 2010;found it hard to recoup the $23000, out the Chevy thinking of giving this headache to my oldest

110

2011 Cruze, been back to the dealership THREE times with this same issue. Four months ago they said they replaced the coils, plugs, etc. Sunday (two days ago) it did it once again. Car doesn't seem to want to shift when this happens. Extended warranty just expired (go figure). Suggestions.....

190

I have this issue as well and this isn’t the first time! A year ago I had to have 2 cylinders rebuilt the dealership I bought it from said it had 2 dead cylinders the first time the problem would come and go then it stayed till I paid $3500 to have the 2 cylinders rebuilt last night it happened again! 2007 Yukon 5.3 I was told by the dealership that it is common with the engines that shut down cylinders when at a steady speed! Mine goes from V8 mode to v4 mode! I was told it is a design flaw and I should have had that shit off when they rebuilt it because it has now caused the same issue! I feel like if it’s a design flaw and a known issue than the should offer a recall but there is so many of these engines out there they would go bankrupt

120

2015 Silverado LT True North, driving today in town, all of the sudden engine shows signs of light choking, a few hundred meters after choking increases, and orange enfin light goes on, pulled to the sideway right away and turned it off. Got towed to GM dealer, tomorrow Ill have news, I hope is not the same issue everyone is describing here, though I did not see a Stabilitrack light going on mine.......

140

I have a ,2011 gmc serria sle same problem you guys are having I have changed all my lifters,spark plugs,coil packs ,wires nothing has changed, BUT I have a great fix soon as I can will trade for a NISSAN

110

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado Z71, 8 cyl, with about 121,000 miles. Last month I very foolishly let the oil get about a quart low (had never been low before), and ended up spending 1600 to have lifters fixed, cam shaft broke, etc. When I picked it up after repairs, the traction light and stabilitrak lights were on, and the mechanic said the computer had to re-learn, and the lights should go out. They haven't gone out, and the fuel sensor (maybe it's check engine light but indication from machine at Advance Auto said a fuel sensor needed replacing - bought a part but haven't had it installed yet) light came on (it has before, but I filled the tank with ethanol free fuel and added a fuel cleaner). The light went off for a few days but came back on. Yesterday the light started flashing, and the engine started knocking like crazy. I was about 10 miles from home, so I drove it home and let it cool. It sounded just like it did when the lifters went, so I was afraid the oil had gotten low again - it was fine. I'm 16 miles from civilization - is it safe to drive it that far? Can't afford a wrecker!

120

Dont drive it and have it towed to GM authorized service is the best thing you can do.

880

Have a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado with these exact symptoms. Friday while running errands, check engine light started flashing, stabilatrak sensor started going nuts and the traction control was turning off and on. There is no knock but definitely a misfire or loss of power. Dont even know where to begin and dont have the money to fix it. Any advice?

20

Interesting. My 2016 chevy cruze, 31,000 miles just had the hesitation issue with check engine light and service stabilitrak message. I bought used last year. Still have bumper to bumper. The dealership couldn't get the problem to reoccur and even with code they couldn't find anything wrong. Sigh.

1,010

I have the same problem, flashes service stabilitrak, service traction control, check engine light. I put my bluetooth code reader on it and get the P0300 code (random cylinder misfire) but didnt think too much about that, I just put some Seafoam fuel system cleaner in it but the problem only got worse. Then I get service stabilitrak message before even putting it into drive, just idling. I thought the stabilitrak message had something to do with the wheel sensors, steering angle sensor, accelerator pedal sensors. I checked all of those and everything worked fine (used a scope on wheel sensors etc.) I found out thru these forums and thru my local GM delaer service department that the service stabilitrak warning comes on for other reasons, like P0300 so that got me looking at other issues. What a waste of time, if its not a stabilitrak or traction control error why send a guy on a dead goose chase. So its idling rough and when driving has low power and limited to maybe 3000 rpm. I replaced sparkplugs, no change. cleaned MAF , no change, checked for vacuum leaks , none detected. My scanner shows Fuel system would not go into closed loop mode. I found out that it was miss firing on all bank 1 cylinders, particularly cylinder 7, bank 2 cylinders were perfect.. swapped coils and coil wires with another working cylinder, no improvement and no change. Removed fuel rail on bank one and ran some Seafoam directly thru the injectors by energizing one at a time and using compressed air, all those injectors sprayed good, I marked them and put them in different spots to see if my problem moved , slight improvement at first but short lived. Problem did not move. cylinder 7 still the major missfiring cylinder. Replaced upstream oxygen sensors, it now goes into closed loop and runs longer before getting the stabilitrak error so that helped but it still screws up just not as fast. I get a negative number on bank 1 long term fuel trim (last check -3.1)and a positive number on bank 2 long term fuel trim (last check +3.9) so it appears that bank 1 is running rich and bank 2 running lean, which bank 1 would do if it was missfiring on that side, but what came first the chicken or the egg? Is it over correcting for what it thinks is a rich mixture and then causing lean missfires or was it really rich because it was missfiring all along? For it to be rich it would have to be 1. high fuel pressure but both side see the same pressure or 2. restricted air flow but again both sides get air from the same source 3. Missfiring causing the fuel not to be burned as it leaves out the exhaust. I can't detect any vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks, at least if they are there they are not very obvious. another thing I have noticed is that it can sit there and Idle for 10 minutes without missfiring but once I rev the engine and it coasts back down to idle speed (sometimes I have to rev it up several times ) it will start missing and then turn on the service stabilitrak message. Any help would be appreciated.

1,010

Sorry but on my last post I forgot to say that My truck is a 2007 GMC Sierra 4.8l engine with around 87,000 miles.

110

Sell and Sew. So unfortunate when an Iconic American brand won't standup and support the customers when it's clearly called for. There's an engineering flaw that makes this such a common issue. My 09 Avalanche is experiencing these issues short of 110k soft miles.

880

Update: a friend of ours had a scanner so we scanned it Wednesday night, came up as a misfire on cylinder 7 and of course here was the culprit. Husband pulled the plugs Thursday and by Friday night we had them all replaced. 130$ later and all lights have gone off and truck runs better than she ever has. Hope your problems are all as simple as ours!!

1,010

Unfortunately no mine is not that simple, replaced all the plugs etc.. but its helpful to know that the stabilitrak light comes on when you have a misfire for sure. I wasnt sure what actually came first, did it miss because stabilitrak was reducing power to prevent sliding or did a missfiring cylinder cause the stabilitrak light to come on. My missfiring did not start until the stabilitrak message came on. thanks for the input

880

My check engine light and misfire came first then the stabilatrak sensors and reduced power. Apparently if there is a big enough misfire, it causes an imbalance or shimmy in the front end due to the engine rattling, this causes the stabilatrak to sensor. As soon as the new spark plugs were in, everything else went away. I'm so happy now, even threatened my husband to trade It in but it's my baby so I'm glad it was a simple fix.

80

This is just crazy reading all this. Just lost my job cause I still couldn't fix this and not enough money to get it into a shop. Changed all plugs and wire, checked the injectors found they had been replaced before I bought it so now I assume this had happened to this truck before. But now after that I get multiple misfire and now a ecu sensor code and will not even start now... Someone said a coil but now do I take the risk spending more for a truck that now won't even start.... And it seems nobody is getting the ecu sensor code like I am, am I missing something simple? 2011 1500 Silverado 5.3l, if I just put power on all the lights kick on again even after an erase of codes don't even have to start it again as it won't even do that

290

I have an 07 avalanche with a 5.3, it has about 180k miles and occasionally got the service traction control/stability trak and hard shift from 1st to second. The check engine light has turned on with the mentioned above and when it has I was also told it was a misfire on cylinder 1 and a slight misfire on 7 however my check engine light is not always on. I never fixed anything and It had been a while since the check engine light, stability trak and traction control lights had turned on until I recently purchased a new battery for it. Isnt this weird? Since the new battery was installed my check engine light has not turned off and I get service trac control and stability trak messages constantly going on and off. Could it be something electrical? Why would my new bat trigger this? I did look for leaks and checked all wires but I see nothing obvious, I would really like to get this fixed because when non of these lights are on, it runs great.

320

So, update on my issues. I will have to buy a new engine. GM will not help and if your vehicle is not worked on by GMC certified folks for regular maintenance then they will definitely not help by any means. Will never by GMC truck again. Let GM know the issues you are having, so hopefully they finally do something about all these problems.

220

Same exact problem...2014 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4x4. Just this morning coming into work, got flashing check engine light, and stabilitrack light. Ran Onstar diagnostics and they emailed me a code P0300. Also said anti-lock brakes? Maybe that’s the stabilitrack light? Truck has about 86,000 miles. It also ticks on the drivers side top of engine. Add me to the lawsuit!

220

Okay, so here’s where I am now. I started the truck after a few hours of it sitting, and still running rough. Popped the hood and noticed the number 3 cylinder plug wire was hanging...it had come loose and fallen off the coil, still connected to the plug. No doubt this is why it was misfiring. I shut off the truck and looked at the plug wire, inside where it snaps onto the coil. White powdery corrosion, no doubt because of the two dissimilar metals touching, with heat and electric current hitting it. After snapping the wire back in place, i started the truck and headed home for repair, only the check engine light was on, and it was steady on...no blinking. So I replaced all plugs and wires, and disconnected the battery in order to reset the check engine light. Currently the truck is running smooth, and no apparent ticking anymore. Thinking the ticking was actually the sound of the spark hitting the plug wire right where it was corroded. After two drives, totaling about 30 miles, no check engine light yet. Am debating on replacing the number 3 coil since there was corrosion in there, actually the plug wire snap fell apart when I removed it from that coil. But, that was the only wire that was corroded anywhere...still replaced them all, so we shall see. Fingers crossed, I’ll keep you posted.

100

Chris I’m in.. emailed u from ehrivera2@yahoo.com.. I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3 and was told it was gonna cost me around 4000.00..

120

Just had this same issue happen in March 2018, dealer said misfire cylinder 1 changed all plugs, was fine until May29,2018... Back in dealer this morning fearful of their findings. Told possible oil leaking into cylinders.. BS... I will join the lawsuit list. truck 2010 Silverado only 92,000k on it and was well taken care of. this sucks.

50

2010 GMC Yukon Denali Replaced All lifters 4 months ago and today check engine light flashing, stabilitrack light on and idle rough!

1,010

!!!!!!! Time to celebrate (I think) Truck back on the road !!!! Update from my earlier reply about my 2007 GMC truck with 4.8l engine.with P0300 Service Stabilitrac, Service Traction control and Stabilitrac Off etc.. I suspected my catalytic converter was causing back pressure so I disconnected the flange on the driver side and created enough gap to allow exhaust gasses to escape without back pressure. It made no difference engine still missed, I reset all codes unless something was causing the problem in the computer. Tried it again and it still missed P0300 and stabilitrak off, service stabilitrak etc.. Now heres the strange part --- when I put the flange back on and cranked the truck the missfiringing was gone and all the other issues were gone , no codes no flashing lights, engine ran perfect but it was rattling in the catalytic converter. I thought maybe I had dropped something in the converter pipe so I took the flange loose and inspected the pipe with a mirror but there were no foreign objects in the converter or pipe as far as I could see and I was able to account for everything that could conceivably have fallen in ( 3 nuts and gasket etc.).. It still rattles but works perfect and runs better than it has in a long time. I suspect that when I removed the nuts from the flange they were frozen and I had to drive them off with a hammer and chisel. This must have broken the insides of the CAT and created better flow and the broken parts are now rattling. I drove it to work this morning and it worked perfect and had plenty of power, I do now have a code P0420 which means the converter efficiency is low, that doesnt surprise me though. If it werent for the noise I would probably leave it alone but I am going to go ahead and replace both cats and be done with it. I do want to stress one very important lesson I learned from this ordeal, "Service Stabilitrac" should have never been displayed It could have just said "Stabilitrac Off" because it was not able to work properly under the conditions with my engine missfiring but It clearly said to service the stabilitrac system and to service the traction control system. This stupid message wasted a lot of my time on a wild goose chase when the real problem was just the P0300 code and a random missfire on bank 1. An exhaust back pressure gauge would have been a nice tool to help me diagnose this problem. Note, it was not clear to me but I hope I can help other DIY guys by saying that P0300 Random missfiring turns on the Service Stabilitrac message not the other way around, I was confused because my truck would sit there and run fine for 10 minutes at times and then the Service Stabilitrac message would come on along with the audible warning dings etc then my truck would start missing so I really thought the Stabilitrac system might have been causing the missfiring and P0300 because I had read that Stabilitrac actually reduces power by cutting the pulses to the injectors on certain cylinders. Hope this helps somebody else.

30

08 GMC Sierra had misfire - no one could figure it out at dealer ship, finally I took valve cover off to see if it had valve train damage and found a broken valve spring. Replaced and misfire gone.

100

2015 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 with the same flashing check engine, stabilitrac lights, rough idle, hard shift 1-2. It had 46k miles the first time, yes I’m on the 2nd round of this issue just 3 months later. Under powertrain warranty, dealer replaced a ‘collapsed lifter’ the first time, my belief it was unnecessary because before picking up they had to replace an arcing plug wire, which would cause a misfire. This second time, a different dealer is replacing all lifters, said the same lifter that was previously replaced was again broken. There was no ticking in the engine that you would get from a lifter issue in either occasion. The problem occurred both times under the exact conditions, at the exact same intersection, making the exact same left turn, slightly uphill, and hard accelerating in the exact same way. I don’t believe it is actually a lifter issue, but more something triggered by sensors and the stabilitrac engaging. I know I’m stuck with a vehicle that will repeat this problem over and over again. I have yet to contact GM, but plan on doing so tomorrow, also when I’m due to get my car back. I’m not holding my breath though. I’ve read about so many issues with these 5.3 engines, it’s unbelievable that there hasn’t been a recall.

50

Chris, I am in as well. I have a 2014 Sierra with 65'K miles. This happened last night. Called GM and they sent a wrecker to come pick it up just now under the power train warranty. Flashing check engine light, stabil track light steady on, ticking from motor, and rough idle and shifting 1-2. Curtis.house@hotmail.com

60

I have 2012 Silverado Z71. Same as everybody stabilatrac and trac light. I found out if u run anything but 93 octane in it it fowls the plugs witch for some reason causes this loss of power because of the trac/stabili light. I diconnected battery for a few mins hooked it back up went straight to the gas station and put 93 octane in it. Running fine for now. Forgot to say only put 87 octane in it cause happened to be the station i stopped at didnt have 93 so i had no choice but to put some 87 in it. I know the plugs are all shoot as well after running $20 of 87 thru it. Add me to the lawsuit please!

110

2008 Chevy Suburban, same issue. Replaced brake switch sensor no fix. Seeing it could be catalytic converter, plugs, malfunctioned wire, fuel injector, collapsed lifter. Count me in Chris. Creel.nicole@yahoo.com

20

Same issues as many on 2009 Silverado 5.3L, P0300, misfire on cylinder 7, rough idle, hard shift 1-2, and the constant service stabilitrak and traction control with both turning on/off. I'm in. jaydencse@gmail.com

1,230

I am having the same problem with 2012 Impala. Service Stabilitrak, Check engine light, runs like crap and code says cylinder 2 misfire. Afraid to go spending $ on something that seems like it may not have a fix at all. On another site someone posted about these being "phantom" problems with the acutal problem being computer/electrical.

1,010

It most likely has a simple fix, I learned that the flashing check engine light probably means its missfiring, obviously yours is missfiring on cylinder 2. I went thru everything on mine because the message " Service traction control and Service stabilitrac" came on, it had absolutely nothing to do with those systems, it was a stopped up Catalytic converter. See my earlier post. I have 2 friends at work that had a similar problem but theirs had a bad sensor and didnt cost much at all , one was less than $200 to fix but they could not remember the name of the sensors. Its most likely not a phantom problem but anything from a bad plug. coil, coil wire, catalytic converter, fuel injector, vacuum leak etc.. Since its missfiring its most likely engine related and has nothing what ever to do with traction control. One clue on mine that I had missed was that in the early stages of my problem was this, it was only doing this when I was climbing a hill and the engine was under a heavy load. this caused the exhaust back pressure from the stopped up Cat to cause engine missfiring. When this happened I ran a can of Seafoam thru the tank which just made the problem worse. After the Seafoam cleaned out all the carbon it finished off what little was left of my cat by dumping all the that carbon down the exhaust and stopping up the Cat even more. After that I could not even back out of the driveway before it started flashing the Service Stabilitrak etc... Does yours idle ok if you crank it and never rev the engine?

30

08 Avalanche w/ 80000 w/ stabilitrack and check engine light. Mechanic's new $8000 determined that misfire on cyl 2 was only happening < 1200 rpms. he said i'd have to go to the dealer (i've known him for 40 years, worked with him swapping motors at night in the 90s and i was even at his wedding). wasn't plug, wire or injector. i DO have an extended warranty so this should be fun. (sarcastic). add me to the lawsuit .. rawbobb@gmail.com I can't get a PA inspection in August with the check engine light on :( .

20

Same deal with mine, replaced all lifters 40,000 miles ago and now stabilitrack if off and running rough with the ticking. Add me to the lawsuit as well, laban@highseasproperties.com

370

Two days ago I pulled out of my driveway. By the time I hit the corner 1/4 mile away my check engine light was flashing and the Stabilitrak light was on. Truck ran really rough, was obviously not running on all cylinders and was not shifting right. Took it home, let it sit, started it up and could hear the dreaded noise of a faulty lifter. Towed to GMC dealer today - sure thing. #7 cylinder lost compression due to a faulty lifter. Everything is being replaced under my powertrain warranty but I fear this is going to be an ongoing issue. 2015 GMC Sierra 6.2L motor with 78,500 miles

370

Here you go.... https://www.autocodes.com/uploads/gmc/SB- 10078567-7690.pdf

370

Here’s the technical service bulletin. They know damn well it’s a problem...

30

So i got an email saying that Greg Henderson posted a TSB for this problem. I can't find that link for the life of me anywhere. did anyone else see it? it's not here in this thread. I'm going to the dealer monday morning and could probably use it. thanks in advance. if someone has the link to the pdf, please email me at rawbobb@gmail.com. thank you.

1,230

So...from the beginning. My 2012 Impala had the traction control issue and we had to rewire that. Then the “service Stabilitrak” light and check engine light came on and the car had rough idle. Computer said Cylinder 2 misfire. We checked the spark plugs. Cleaned all the connections. Used seafood. Etc. Took it to shop and they cannot figure out exactly what is wrong, but something bad...they said they cannot take the heads off and doubt the the dealer can either and we are pretty much screwed. The car needs a new motor. It is 6 years old!!!! It is the first car Inhave ever bought brand new and is is worse shape than all the older cars we have. Whatever is causing this to happen should have been recalled, but I don’t think anyone actually knows the cause...

50

2015 5.3 Silverado same issue flashing engine light stability light on. 64000 miles bought used last sat not 400 mile later started doing all this. Dropped back off at dealer yesterday. My codessid cylinder 7 misfire did all tricks to see any change but no. So add me Chris to lawsuit. Kellycjarrett@gmail.com

370

Wow, just wow....This many people? I wonder if this is news worthy in order to get GM’s attention? This is unbelievable. I also wonder when I get my truck back on Monday if they are putting the same garbage lifters back in it, or if they have actually engineered a modified part that resolves the issue??? One thing I know is that AFM is getting turned off in my truck when I get it. Talked to several mechanics and motorheads who said this is the FIRST thing they would do.

60

Just happened to me. Engine light on, stabititrack flasking and very rough idle. 2013 Suburban 5.3L with 123,000 miles. Code was 55,000 misfires on cylinder 7. Also it is burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. Dealer told me that it needs either a $5,000 engine rebuild or a $7,500 reman engine. I complained that it was burning excess oil for over a year now to the dealer. They knew it was a ticking time bomb. No more GM's for me.

370

Jason - though the work I had done on my 2015 6.2L Sierra was under warranty I had them put together an estimate to replace all the lifters on the #7 cylinder side which is what they did and it was $3k even so I’d question that $5k figure - this was at a GMC dealer in Minnesota

90

Same problem here on 08 Tahoe. Currently in shop. Has anyone had these problems stopped by turning off AFM? That’s my next step. Curious to see others answers.

370

I’m turning my AFM off with a Diablo i3 Platinum tuner - just waiting for the device to arrive from Amazon. Then I’ll create a log and send it in to have a custom tune created and loaded into my truck.

10

Going on second engine rebuild for my 2008 ch by Silverado.... being told it was running lean therefore burnt up the f****** engine. I am toning on two years owning His 1500 lt bought it with 100,000went on fishing trip came back with ticking noise and slight knock we were told we had metal shavings in the oil... rebuilt 5,300 later. And 17,000 miles later I’m rebuilding it again... we had it in to the shop three times and they s not us away yet I knew something was not right and I’m not even a mechanic I just pay close attention to my vehicle. Not happy at the idea of a rogue problem but sounds like lots of us have a serious problem that GM NEEDS!!! To address Running peoples lives into the ground is a way to build a horrible rep. Have grown up Chevy but am more or less scared away and will be heavily researching other options at my next buy if we are not bankrupt from a engine rebuild every 15-20,000 miles

70

I have 2012 Silverado the service stabiletrac and traction control message and abs light came on today.

2009 5.3 Silverado. 102k miles on her. Same issue. Ad me to the lawsuit Prandallm@yahoo.com

50

My 2007 Tahoe has experienced just about every single issue listed above over the last 2 years. Here’s a list of the issues I’ve experienced and then I’ll list everything I’ve done to attemp to fix it: Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, Cylinders 1, 7, 6, 8 misfires with 7 being almost weekly for 2 years. Check engine light comes on when a cylinder misfires accompanied with Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control. Tahoe idles rough, shifts really hard from 1st to second gear. Catalytic converters inefficiency. What I’ve done to attempt to fix this issue for 2 years: Changes plugs and wires, changed valve cover, kept changing cylinder 7 spark plug every 3 months(this worked until recently the issue happens daily), changed brake switch(didn’t help anything). I cleaned the Throttle body ad this seemed to help the length of time between codes thrown. But still experiencing same issues. GuruWK39C Your posts sound spot in with what I’m experiencing. I did just(1 year ago)have the drivers side Catalytic Converter replaced with an aftermarket Cat and have still had same issues. I’m wondering if the aftermarket catalytic converter allows a smaller amount of airflow and causing the Cylinder 7 misfire. I’m about ready to make a YouTube video of “How to fix a Chevy” and video me rolling it off a cliff. I’m hesitant to buy my Duramax now.

20

We have an 08 Silverado 5.3 doing the same thing with the stabilitrak off and check engine light flashing. Sign me up Chris.

1,010

Preston, I replaced my Cats with Magnaflow after market units and welded them in myself. They are both working fine and I havent had any new codes since replacing them. When I removed the old ones it was clear that the driverside was clogged up with something, I said carbon in my earlier post but not really sure what it was. One thing I highly suspect is that using the Seafoam finished off an already partially bad Cat. (I'm not knocking Seafoam but it seemed to finish off the bad Cat because prior to that it would only screw up when under a heavy load.) It does sound like you have the same problem. With mine cylinder 7 which is the last one on the driver side was always showing the most missfires, I think that was due to the pressure backing up from the other 3 driverside cylinders making 7 the most susceptible to the clogged Cat.

20

2015 5.3 silverado hard shifting at low rpm, shuddering, flashing check engine and service Stabilitrak light on. Just happened on my way home tonight. Sign me up if you get a class a tion going . Roger.b.gentry017@gmail.com

10

Same thing just happened to mine. Going in on Monday. Sign me up ethangarland18@hotmail.com

40

Just had #7 lifter replaced...$2000 repair... after 200 miles, stabilitrak light is back with same symptoms but now it’s cylinder #6. What would make the lifters on both sides of the engine fail?

370

“What would make the lifters on both sides of the engine fail?" A shitty Active Fuel Management design by GM

WELL ADD US TO THE LAWSIUT TOO. WE HAVE A 2007 WITH LESS THAN 80,000 MILES. WE WERE GOING DOWN I-20 FIXING TO GET OFF AT OUR EXIT ANDTHE TRACTION LIGHT COMES ON. WE STOPPED AT THE STOP SIGN TO TURN RIGHT AND AND IT WAS ROUGH SHIFTING. SO WE KEPT RESETTING IT TO GET TO THE HOUSE AND SO THE NEXT MORNING WE STARTED IT AND IT WAS RUNNING REALLY ROUGH AND WE TOOK THE BATTERY CABLE OFF AND HADNT STARTED YET.

10

Having all the same issues. Shelbieseibold@gmail.com

40

Having all the same issues and seems to be no answer to it.. sign me up for the lawsuit too. Cfmoniz20@gmail.com

40

The truck started missing and running terrible on the interstate, came home ran the code and got P0307, misfire on cylinder 7, changed all plugs and wires and now it is throwing the dreded random misfire, P0300. It's a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE. We just went through something similar like this with my 05 Grand Am but changing all the spark plugs and wires fixed it. We are pissed off because we haven't even had this truck for three months yet and we have already replaced the oil pressure sensor and all the ball joints are bad. We have re greased them for now but now this.... top it all off we bought it from a dealership

10

2012 Yukon Denali 125k. Had all lifters changed & Updated active fuel management. Wife just called Traction control , stability on again. amadajoe@aol.com

50

2014 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L all the same issues, please add me to the lawsuit, Merrill_nicholas@yahoo.com

370

Is anyone even coordinating a lawsuit? I reached out to the email address in the thread and have yet to get a response. That was several weeks ago.

50

Same problem--2008 Silverado 5.3 L, 170,000+ miles. Dealer suggested $5K lifter job or $7K new engine. I didn't believe them (still don't). Independent mechanic saw a 5V voltage drop in the system while the engine was exhibiting the symptoms. He systematically unplugged sensors until he unplugged the oil pressure sensor and the voltage jumped back up to normal. He figured he had found the problem and replaced that sensor. The truck ran great for 3 weeks until it started doing it again. I don't believe anyone has fixed this problem. Those who think they have the answer just haven't given it enough time to happen again.

I have the same issues on my 2008 chevy silverado with stability track n reduced power

20

Chris, Add me to the lawsuit as well. I have a 2016 Chevrolet Trax. Stabilitrak light comes on while accelerating as well the check engine light as well as skipping. Stabilitrak light goes off and the check engine light stays unless I reset it. I had it diagnosed at Auto Zone. Fuel injector with misfire in cylinder 4. Replaced the fuel injector. No change. Reset engine light, same error as before. I ordered a spark plugs and that'll I'll pick up and put in tomorrow. I also bought Sea Foam. No change. I have warranty for a few more months but it's power train. If I take it to the dealer and it doesn't fall under power train I am responsible for $130+ in diagnostic fees. They should do recalls on this issue, but from the sound of it, even mechanics don't know what in the world is going on with our vehicles. Leah shiver plshiver@live.com

10

same problems here I have 2011 5.3 Silverado and I've had pretty much all that has been listed changed. it seems to fix the problem for about 20k miles and then I'm in the same spot. my #7 cylinder has been a problem since about 17k miles and I'm at 105k now and it's been in the shop at least 5 times for same problems and I'm here again

430

Anyone else get a letter from Chevrolet recently? I got a notice in the mail today suggesting that some GM models may have an "inoperative purge solenoid." Could this be causing the issues stated on this thread?

50

I had the same issue with stabilitrak light coming on and off and check engine light on my 07 yukon denali 6.2 . i changed the spark plugs and put a k&n air intake in. the lights on the dash went off for about 24hr then the stabilitrak light came back on so I filled up the break fluid to max and the stabilitrak light has not came back on and my break fluid was NOT low I just had to put more in

135

2008 LTZ changes plugs and wires, no difference. Did notice that bank 1 coils are not working. Called mechanic, he said he has repaired one that had a broken wire in the harness. One thing I noticed while working on this was that the plastic wire loom is degrading and falling off. I have never seen this happen. I am thinking there is a quite a bit of heat under the plastic "Vortec" cover on top of the engine that is degrading the wire loom plastic and God knows what else. Once this truck is gone it will be the last Chevy for me. 2016 and 2017 Ford F250's sitting in the drive now.

20

Wow. There are so many GMC/Chevy owners having this issue... Add me to the list. I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with 153K - The Traction Control/Stabilitrak light comes on - the truck has a rough idle and loud ticking from the engine - When the Stabilitrak shuts down it also stops the ABS braking system. My truck is currently at the Dealership being diagnosed. Just like all of you on this site, I don't have 4K+ to put into a rebuilt engine. My truck has been a sore subject with me since buying it new in 2009. She also burns 1 qt oil every 1000 miles. ( the dealership said that it was well within their specifications) I've already dropped 2 lifters but my truck was under warranty at the time. After reading all of these posts - I will not purchase a Chevy or GMC - - it's not just a few bad years.... it's over a decade of pushing out POS trucks.... Chrisdmc2075@gmail.com - Please count me in if there truly is a lawsuit. You can contact me at: tperik67@gmail.com

20

14 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ, same problems...flashing check engine light, stabilitrac light. etc. Please add me to the lawsuit jasondavis.ae@hotmail.com

10

Guys, my 2012 Sliverado is doing the same thing....for the 4th time! I've gone to 2 different dealerships and 1 private shop. I'm going to do this change my self. Now, I have ALL my paperwork on this repair. I saved it due to the fact that Chevy knows and this might be a recall issue. ADD me to the list of folks who want to be reimbursed for this headache!! x000araj@sensata.com. I can also scan and send my paperwork to the attorney.

80

I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe and I just recently experienced the same frustrating issues you guys have been experiencing. My 4WD selector would be on Auto but a green light is flashing on 4WD. Along with engine light flashing, Service Stabilitrac and Traction Control. Rough ragedy idle and trucks shifts hard with a knock into 2nd gear. Had it looked at by Auto Zone and a All Tone location. Multiple miss fires in cylinder 1. I changed spark plug, wire even went back out and bought a core park for cylinder 1. Just to get the same results. Auto Zone came up with the truck needs a valve spring. This truck was our only vehicle due to our piece of crap 2016 Chevy Cruz being down from a broken Intake Manifold. That GM refused to assist with getting the vehicle repaired because of the miles that were put in it. I need a real solution without spending money that I don't have.

20

Please add me 2012 Chevy Suburban! Stabiltrac ,traction control and now engine light flashing, rough ride isn't the proper term, my vehicle is shaking harder than a stripper on a pole! Please add me to the lawsuit! Any assistance needed I'm onboard. tashibap419@gmail.com

80

I have a 2007 Suburban that has been throwing a "system too lean" code. The first time I took it in they told me it was probably because I was using flex fuel, and said to go back to reg unleaded. I did and the rough idle and MPG went back up BUT now I'm back to have the check engine light on all the time and my "stabilitrak off" light will come on. Funny thing is that it comes on as I slow down at almost the exact same place on my way to town!!! Usually the stabilitrak light goes off before I come to the stop light, if it doesn't I have had it shift hard a couple of times as I accelerate. Before all this I was getting 17MPG IN TOWN shuttling kids around, but now I'm getting 13.9MPG. I have read several of these forums like this and LOTS of people mention cylinder 7,2, and 5. I'm nervous to take it back to our mechanic and have what some of you all have had happen. I came from a Chevy family but always drove "other" cars. With a growing family of Amazonian children I decided to bite the bullet on this decked out Sub...payment and all. I haven't even had it a year and this will be the second trip to the shop in 8 months. I'm gonna see what they say, but I may be next in line to join this suit!! (PS-what the hell is up with all the cracked dashes??????)

80

I found this on yet another forum!! About a quarter of the way down the guy posts this bulletin from 2010 that the dealerships should have been aware of. (also note that several of these people started having issues AFTER a tire rotation!! I constantly have a tire sensor or any of the tires going off.) Any one else having issues with tire sensors in conjunction or have issues after a tire change??? See bulletin below I have began experiencing this very issue. Check engine light engages sporadically, lean codes, and stabilitrak engages/disengages sporadically. There is a bulletin that most dealerships should be aware of which looks like our issue. I just want to know what type of cost am I looking at, should be fixed free of charge considering there is nothing any of us are doing outside of driving when this occurs. Here is the bulletin: #07-06-04-013A: L76 4L70-E Chuggle, Surge, Hesitation May Be Felt with Active Fuel Management System Cylinder Deactivation Transition from V8 Mode to V4 Mode or Harsh 1-2 Upshift (Reprogram ECM and TCM) - (Nov 26, 2007) Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/28wco-i-have-a-2007-chevrolet- avalanche-5-3-- flex-fuel-during-a#ixzz0bahF2U7I Subject: L76 4L70-E Chuggle, Surge, Hesitation May be Felt with Active Fuel Management System Cylinder Deactivation Transition from V8 Mode to V4 Mode or a Harsh 1-2 Upshift (Reprogram ECM and TCM) Models: 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe 2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL with Active Fuel Management System Vortec® GEN IV 6.0L V8 Engine (VIN Y -- RPO L76) and HYDRA-MATIC® 4L70-E Transmission (RPO M70) This bulletin is being revised to remove the 4L60-E transmission and add condition information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-04-013 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System). Condition Some customers may comment on a chuggle, surge or hesitation felt during an Active Fuel Management System (AFM) cylinder deactivation transition point or a harsh 1-2 upshift . Correction Before reprogramming the ECM and TCM, compare the vehicle to a like vehicle. This may be a normal condition for an Active Fuel Management System equipped vehicle and no repairs should be attempted. The vehicle you are evaluating may be a little harsh in AFM transition. A calibration update was released for the ECM and TCM to soften the feel of the AFM transition. SPS Information • Refer to Service Bulletin Number 06-08-47-001C for information on reprogramming two modules. • ECM -- New calibration to address customer concern of bump during active fuel management transitions. Must also program TCM with latest calibrations. • TCM -- New operating system and calibrations to improve engine performance and shift quality. You must also program the ECM with latest calibrations. Reprogram the ECM and TCM with the latest calibrations if the above concern is encountered. Updated ECM and TCM calibrations are now available to address this concern. These calibrations, or any that follow, are designed to address this concern. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) using the appropriate Service Information (SI) procedures. The new ECM and TCM calibrations will be available to dealerships as part of TIS2000 incremental satellite update version 4.5, for 2007 (available on 04/23/07), and on TIS DVD version 5.0/2007 or later, which will be mailed to dealers on 05/09/2007. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version. Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/28wco-i-have-a-2007-chevrolet- avalanche-5-3-- flex-fuel-during-a#ixzz0bahN0xIK

80

Anybody experiencing any issues with a bad valve spring? Along with multiple misfires from cylinder 1. 2007 Chevy Tahoe

570

Yep 08 Suburban 5.3 had these issue come and go but no seems permanent with all the listed issue, rough idle, running on less than 8 cylinders, traction control lights flashing, hard gear changes, what a piece of junk 179K miles. Last Chevy I will ever purchase.

10

My 2010 silverado had what seemed like a traction control misfire, i was driving on gravel but it didn't seem like it was necessary for the truck to slam on its own brakes, threw my coffee all over the place. engine light came on, gas petal didn't work so I stopped, tried to restart my truck and now it won't start? Mechanic at my work seems to think my fuel pump went, but strange about the traction control issue right before??

55

Hi! I'm Ben and I just joined your club! Last week, I bought a "certified" 2014 Silverado, 5.3L, 46K miles. Managed to drive it for almost 2 days before I got the flashing check engine light and the Stabilitrac light. The motor instantly went from nice and smooth to violently shaking like it needed an exorcist. It's been sitting at the dealer for 3 days and has probably been looked at by multiple mechanics, paranormal investigators, theoretical physicists (I do live by NASA) and priests. Worst of all, I traded in my super-reliable Tacoma and, as far as I can tell, I am now the owner of a "certified" POS. How are we doing on that attorney? ifly71@yahoo.com

50

Took mine to the certified dealership and the said I had a cracked valve spring on cylinder 5, they replaced it and(knock on wood) I haven’t had any problems, luckily mine was still covered under warranty, hopefully this is helpful for some ppl still looking for an answer

Add me to the lawsuit! 2015 Silverado 5.3l. Started with a bad lifter, then another one went on the opposite side of the engine. Motor was replaced due to damage of the lifters. A little bit after the new engine was installed I was having the flashing engine light, dash flickers, hood open chimes, etc. Second motor blew not 2,000 miles after. Cylinder number 1 was the culprit. On to engine number three, it just started throwing a stabilitrak code and was hesitating when dropping into V4 mode. This is the best part.... The truck has 21,000 miles!! NOT HAPPY!

135

Well I actually got my truck fixed and it was fairly reasonable. I had the stabiltrac light and engine lights flashing. Truck was running terrible and barely pulled itself home. Got up next day changed the plugs and wires. Plugs were horrible! But that wasn't the problem. For some reason I had lost the coils on bank 1? Left side of motor no fire to any of the plugs. I scanned the harness but could not find anything wrong. Decided to take to my local guy. Week later truck was ready??? They replaced the entire fuse block under the hood. Some issue with it, I don't know how it was diagnosed, but trucks runs great! Anyone want to buy a 2008 Silverado?? LOL

20

This just happened to both vehicles the same day 2 weeks ago. My 2013 Silverado 78K and my wife's 2014 Traverse 76k and have to wait a month for a service appointment at the local dealer. Has not happened to my wife's since but since yesterday my silverado is no longer intermittent. It is horrible. Please add me to the CALS as well clifford.strang@gmail.com

10

Wow! 2011 Suburban.. It just happened. Blinking engine light, stability track message, rough idling. Include me in the damn lawsuit IF its still happening. Doesn't seem like its going anywhere. southcakalak@yahoo.com

10

Have you ever heard anymore about the claim or Lawsuit? I'm having the same exact problem with my 08 Silverado 5.3

I have a 07 Siverado and the stabilitrac and traction control lights would come on and then it would run rough and shift hard from 1 to 2 . I did everything plugs, wires, coils didnt help. Once in a while I would start it and it would run fine no lights and no miss fire then right back to the same thing. Took it to the local dealership and they said it was a bad cylinder but that didnt explain why it would choose to not miss and run fine for a time then start having issues again. Of course when they had it it just ran bad. What I found on mine was the cam position sensor was bad and that's what made it miss and throw the lights and shift hard. Since it was fixed that cleared up my problem.

20

Same thing just happened to me.. new motor on the way!! Add me to the lawsuit K.terribile@comcast.net

30

Kris Same thing checks engine light fleshing and traction control light on all the time.I drop my 2015 Silverado 1500 LT (20900 miles ) et the Castle Chevrolet today and waiting for diagnostic in next couple off days. .

10

Same problem as everyone else with Stabilitrac lights and engine running roughly. I've replaced the Cat and plugs and wires, all of this and some other issues totaling about $8k in 4 separate occassions. Each time, the mechanic fixes the Stabilitrac issue, but it keeps coming back over the last 5 months. I have a '07 Suburban LTZ with about 150k miles. Add me to the lawsuit, djh9999@hotmail.com.

If I can live with the lights and hard shifting, how long do you think I can go on driving it like that? I want my 16 son to drive, and NOT spend a bunch of money.

30

Update for my problem, repair covered by power train warranty. BAD LIFTER!!

80

It's very frustrating to see that everybody on here pretty much has the same issues with their GMC vehicle. Even more frustrating to see that there's not a for sure simple solution.

10

I 've had the same problem, 2007 chevy Silverado z71. Chevrolet dealer rebuilt top motor 14 months ago. Then 2 weeks ago same thing happened again but now they want to put in a 6,000 motor. Asked them why they didn't do it the first time. Of course no one knows why or could help me with it. Then I learned on a carfax that the motor was overhauled in 2011. Now it's setting in my yard. What to do.

80

I've talked to a few mechanics about our common issues and their suggestion was possible bad fuel injectors. I haven't had the time to check, but maybe this could help someone.

10

2011 Tahoe. Just over 100k . No warning at all. Exact same problem. Cylinder 7 misfire. I’ve had this truck for almost 6 years never a problem. Doesn’t drink a drop of oil. Dealer has had it for 4 days and tell me they can’t figure it out.

570

I did a complete engine flush using Liquid Mollie and added MOA additive to the high mileage Pennzoil. Problem fixed for a couple days then reverted to rough running and engine light back on, stabiltrack system etc. Has been on and off like this since but for the most part running on all 8 cyclinders. Might try purchasing an AFM blocker to keep it in V8 mode permanently. Costs $200 but worth a try before ripping open the engine. I think a lot of the issues are happening when the AFM system is changing from V8 mode to 4 cylinder mode with the deactivation and oil pressure, movements effecting the lifters. Not an expert but worth a try. https://www.amazon.com/Range-Technology-Active-Management- Disable/dp/B00BR1R8N8

Same problem with my 07 Chevrolet avalanche. Changed all my spark plugs and wires, oil and transmission fluid flushed new battery tried everything people have posted and still have the same problem. Add me to the lawsuit adletajustin@gmail.com.

And I am the next victim... Happened on my way to work today, same as all above, not diagnosed yet but flashing check engine, hard shifting, loss of power, stabilitrac etc. 2013 1500 with 210,000 mi. First real issue to date minus tires, brakes and lower ball joints. I guess I am lucky with minimal repairs to date but this looks like the end of the road for me in this chevy. JUST got the title in the mail 2 weeks ago, should have seen this coming! Time for a Ford?

Same problem here. 09 Silverado 4.8 v8 98k miles Traction control and stabilitrac are disabled. Check engine light is flashing. Trans shifts Hard into 2nd. Rough idle and backfires occasionally. Already had the lifters fail before and that was repaired under the drivetrain warranty. I'm going to replace the plugs and wires. Then start testing the coil packs and fuel injectors. I wonder if the recall on the throttle body position sensor is causing these other parts to fail?? Krisdye007@aol.com

1,360

for all the people having the misfire problem... do not just throw parts at the car hoping to fix the problem, you need to first diagnose what the problem is, 1 - check codes and do an engine compression check before everything. 2 - if compression is good usually that mean the engine is good mechaniclly so your problem is either spark, fuel or air. if compression is low then its a big problem (usually lifters or rings and would not be something that the avg person can fix), also while you are at it check the condition of the spark plugs to see if they are worn 3- if compression is good and spark plugs look good buy a cheap spark tester from amazon or any parts store for around $8 and check if all the coils are providing spark.and replace the one that is failing. on a huge percentage of misfire, the above procedure would help you find what the problem is, there is a few other possibilities and test but the above ones are the easiest, can be done by almost anyone, and would solve over 90% of misfire problems

570

Just installed the Range Technology AFM disabler that I purchased from Amazon. Wasn't cheap $189. Engine light that would not go away on the display turned of immediately and the performance improvement is noticeable and it is running much smoother. Wow what an improvement. I reckon seeing the ongoing problems that everyone is seeing here including myself the AFM design is flawed and needs to be disabled and is causing most of the issues including lifter issues. Will updated this after some driving time but so far this device is MAGIC.

90

GM18, that’s exactly what we thought the problem was with my 08 Tahoe. Put $700 into her before I traded her in for a Dodge. The problem still wasn’t fixed when I traded it in. Please update in a few weeks if that has still fixed the problem. Our mechanics were dumbfounded!

20

2010 5.3l sierra 120k miles. Had this stabiltrak rough idle thing happen but the check engine light was not flashing. Codes came up as throttle body sensor and i was also having low voltage issue. Changed the throttle body sensor and battery cables (they were kind of corroded) and cleaned/tightened all grounds. Problem solved for several months....happened again out of the blue while idling in drive, large misfire stumbled the engine and the stabilitrak lights and flashing check engine came on. Code was cylinder 7 misfire, changed all plugs and wires, they were fairly worn and hadnt been changed in a long time. So far ao good and the truck runs great with perfect idle and no misfires. Hope this helps someone!

80

It's a waste of time contacting GM about this issue. Their response was there is no recall on these conditions. They can't base their decision off a third party website forum. That this is a common issue with their vehicles.

20

Same issue with my 2009 Chevy Tahoe with 140k miles! My husband is a mechanic and has diagnosed and fixed every issue thus far. We have changes plugs and wires, seafoam treatment ect... The stabilatrak, traction control goes crazy and the ABS sensor turn off when the lights turn on. When this happens it usually doent affect the driveability but there were previous times when the entire vehicle lost power, oil preasure and stearing so I would have to slam on the breaks and try to get off of the road or to the side of the road and put it in park, then turn the ignition off and then restart the vehicle. It would usually be fine upon restart. I also have a warning light for servicing the seat belts and tire pressure sensors (which I choose not to replace) as well as my dash is cracked in 3 places and my clear coat is bubbling up and peeling off of the rear access plastic panels. The only thing that we have found was loose battery cables so he made new ones and then the brake fluid gets low and causes the sensors to go off but it is not leaking the brake fluid and everything else checks out ok. I will have my husband connect his scanner again so i can write down the codes. I would like in on the law suit if it is perused. goldie1188@gmail.com

10

mark my 2009 silverado has same problem runs rough noisy service track control warnning comes up. just got back from dealer and i need a new cam shaft. 5300.00 to fix 124000 klicks on truck. always did oil changes and maintain it well

20

ok everyone listen up!!! had all the same identical problems with my 2015 Silverado LTZ especially when I would go up steep hills, and I fixed the problem for under $4.00 with a bottle of fuel system and injector cleaner. no joke!!! after a 1/2 tank of treaded gas the problem is totally gone, and that's after time and time again punching it up steep hills. I canceled my appointment with my mechanic

10

I have a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado. After a $4000 bill, the problem is now back. A few weeks ago, mine had the spark plug wires replaced. Now, the problem is back. The stabilitrac light went on followed by the engine light and then a loss of power. Pulled over and restarted it, but clearly it still has a problem.

10

Just left a local shop (not a dealership), they replaced the plugs, plug wires, and #2 coil. It was idling rough, check engine light was flashing and the stability control light was on. 2014 Silverado 6.2L V8 with 110,000 miles so it was due for a tune up.

20

So after the third time now got some other folks to look over my problem. Turns out the roller lifter style is cutting into my cam shaft so shards of metal are sticking the lifters. Getting a new engine as my solution I'm afraid. Just a matter of time if you replace lifters for it happen again.

Please add us to the lawsuit. fightfires11@yahoo.com Same issues with our 2010 Silverado. Running rough and check engine lights on. Said it is Cylinder 7 and will cost $1000 to repair.

20

Same thing just started yesterday on my 2007 Tahoe. Rough idle, hard 1-2 shift, check engine light, service stabilitrak, stabilitrak off.

20

Add me to lawsuit. Dan.jernigan@icloud.com

Add me to the lawsuit. My 2015 Silverado Z71 with 49k miles just started this 4 days ago. Of course when I get it to the mechanic all he sees is generic misfire codes and can't find anything wrong. duston.cline@gmail.com

80

I have an 11' Tahoe. mine will drive perfectly for 20 minutes then go nuts with the stabiltrack and flashing check engine light and it will drive terrible for a while then smooth out. I have had the vlom, lifters on both sides replaced, plugs, coil packs, and pretty much every scan and test they can run. its been at GM shop for over three months - last week they had a GM engineering team in to start a ticket on it. we are still waiting on there results. please add me rdcallander12@gmail.com

add me to the list. My 2009 pickup is doing the same thing. parker@thehomesteadseniorliving.com

Same problem here started last night add me to the law suit. I have a 2013 silverado z71 with 94k miles. doublebogeyjoe@yahoo.com

2018 GMC Sierra, 28K miles. Acted up about a month ago for a minute. Last night started running rough, check engine light flashing, stabilitrac light on and cruise control stopped working. Smoothed out after a few minutes. Check engine light on. Called Onstar, they said no codes sent. Suggested I call back in a couple of days to see if a code has been sent. Add me to your list rbradnorris@gmail.com

10

2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 About five / six days ago, stabilitrak service msg popped up while heading down the driveway. The ABS and traction lights both lit up as well. Called OnStar and dealership. Received email alert to bring it in within seven days. I had appointment at 830 and have been here since with no updates.

290

Hey yall, an update on my 07 5.3 avalanche . I was having the same issues, took it to the mechanic, misfire cylinder 1 and 7, took it to autozone coil 1.It would go on and off until recently it was on everytime I turned the truck on (annoying)all the symptoms. Unscrewed spark plug on cylinder 1 and turned the truck on, it had no spark. Changed the plug on cylinder one (with a used one at that) and now the truck is running perfectly fine, it's been about 2 weeks already going on 3. Do the checking yourselves people, sometimes it's simple and mechanics will charge you all a ton of money based on what the computer tells them. Mess with your cars a little and try ruling out stuff before they tell you it's time for a new engine or an expensive fix. Maybe some people have a more serious problem that triggers all the above symptoms but thankfully for me it was a damn plug. I was in denial because I had just changed the plugs about a year ago max and I use nothing but shell gas.This is a true story, I am just glad I was able to fix the problem after months of going crazy. It was that simple for me... hope this helps somebody on this thread. Good luck to all of you.

10

Who is in charge of the lawsuit? I want to join

Same thing. 2008 Escalade with all the problems mentioned. Started suddenly while traveling down the highway. Got it parked and left it for the day. Upon restart it still ran terribly and had a definite hard ticking sound. Getting it to the shop now. I would join the lawsuit as well. cooperjc@bellsouth.net

10

Last night my stabilitrak light came on, check engine light flashing, obviously the engine was rrunning very rough. Just contacted gmc hopefully to get some assistance as I’m away from my family working in Florida helping rebuild. More than happy to be involved in the lawsuit. Biggfoxx89@gmail.com

2018 Sierra, 29K miles. Now on Day 3 in the shop. They said it threw a P0303 code, random misfire on cylinder 3. Said they were going to replace the coil pack. Still waiting to get it back.

70

Dido Dido on all of above, I have a 2008 Silverado 160K mi, shop says that it needs new lifters because the Active Fuel Management system, backfiring into the cylinders, cost is around 3K, now the Stabilitrack and Traction control mess is happening. I am actually wanting to sell the truck so I can get a newer one, I have driven Chevy's all my life, guess it is time to move to a Ford (yuk). So I have emailed all of the emails I found on this site, a lot of people have ask if a lawsuit is in the works but it appears either no one knows or it has not been started. Which is really hard to believe, Chevy and GMC have a reel problem, can't imagine a class action suit could not be started pretty easily. All anyone would have to do is contact one of those law firms you see on TV or find a large firm in your home town, I also can't imagine anyone starting it would have to spend any money, the sharks would get paid off the suit. SO? Has a suit been started, if not I will start one, if anyone knows anything please let me know. Jud - jcoester@kc.rr.com Thanks

@DiveDavid when ya replaced the plugs did that correct the service traction control issue??

10

Update on my 2008 gmc sierra 5.3l v8 stabilitrak and traction control came on along with blinking check engine light code p0303 and running lean, replaced spark plugs and stabilitrak and traction control alo g with check engine light went away been driving now for about 3 weeks and they havent come back but i have a really rough idle when on drive or rear.

210

Cylinder 7 misfire due to oil fouling out the plug. You're getting oil into the cylider, same as me. 2011 Silverado 5.3 started with me around 70k miles. Dealership did squat to make it right.

10

Hello cody, so there is nothing we can do to fix this? And is it going to get worse?

210

Once my truck came out of warranty, the dealership wanted to change rings and pistons. 2500 out of pocket. It's probably gonna get worse. Last Chevy I buy.

90

The only fix for this specific problem is to delete the AFM. It’s a flaw in the engine that GMC refuses to recognize. You will only figure this out by putting hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars trying to fix it. So just order the AFM delete kit & have someone install it. This will save you $$$ in the long run. You’re welcome everyone! BTW I learned this the hard way $$$

10

@Ashleyguerrero Is this guaranteed to fix the problem? How long has it been since you installed the AFM delete kit? And have you had any problems since then?

570

You are 100% correct. I had all the same issues 2008 Suburban and was told the engine was destroyed by local auto shop, spent $90 for them to tell me that. I thought it needed new lifters etc, did the oil changes, added liquid molly flush etc etc and lost a few nights sleep. Then spend $200 on AFM disabler after reading another post on here. I was hesitant spending that coin but looking at thousands otherwise. Been several months since I plugged it in and I have never had an engine issue since. Engine light turned of immediatly and it runs like a new V8. It has a 30 day money back guarantee so can return if it does not sort out the problem. I recommend it highly, it may not fix everyones problem but it may fix a lot of problems. The issue is the AFM deactivating and the engine computer system. It is obviously a design fault and this is an easy fix to stop it deactivating. My truck has never run better, more powerful, smoother, sounds like a V8 and no more issues listed on this blog. https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/

570

@Pedro. Nothing is guaranteed to fix a problem unless you try it. It has a 30 day money back guarantee. I bought mine through the company but you can also get through Amazon which has return policies. Worth a shot. Worked on my truck as soon as I used it and still working strong 3 months on. HIGHLY RECOMMEND AS A FIRST MEASURE TO FIX ISSUES BEFORE GOING FULL $$$$$

570

You do not need someone to install the AFM device. Takes longer to get out of the box than install. Do it yourself. Simply plugs into the diagnostic cable which is below the steering wheel. Super easy. It will light up with faint colored LED light when operating each time you turn the vehicle on. Basically resets the engine management system and with my experience the engine runs better than what Chevy programmed. I would never go back to the problematic AFM cylinder deactivation Chev program. Yes they should have recalled this but they never will. It would not look good for them to keep the so called flexfuel saving engine in permanent V8 mode.

570

https://www.amazon.com/Range-Technology-Active-Management-Disable/product- reviews/B00BR1R8N8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_2? ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=2

10

My 08 gmc has just started doing this same thing stabilator a kid and flashing check engine with a heavy idle and weird knocking sound . For such an expensive truck it sure is a piece of crap. Count me in on that lawsuit edwinacastillo84@gmail.com

10

So @gm18 your truck was misfiring and rough idle and everything when you plugged this in? Mine was “diagnosed” with bad lifter on cylinder 1, been sitting for 3 months bcs i dont want to spend 2k to fix one lifter when im afraid another will mess up 2 weeks later. Just wondering if yours was check engine flashing and misfiring when you plugged this in and it just made it stop completely? Im willing to buy, just afraid if my problem isnt intermittent like some posters where the problem comes and goes randomly it wouldnt work

2014 silverado z71 crew cab. Replaced #3 coil, plug, and wire 8 months ago. Truck is in the shop today to replace all three for #5 and #7. Same issue as everyone else. Add me to the lawsuit, button5845@gmail.com

570

@shelbie. Had the misfiring, stabiltrak, engine light all flashing, making noises, engine tapping noises, loss of power all started 3 years ago would come and go over a few days but last time it was really bad, very loud tapping and lasted weeks. Thought it was terminal. Basically in snow conditions it will render the vehicle to dangerous to drive with no stabiltrak and 4wd. Yes the AFM disabler stopped all the issues and it runs better than when I bought it 5 years ago. Tempting to unplug and see what happens but not taking any chances. Worth a try as you can return for refund within 30 days. I’m no expert but I think most, not all the problems are theater to the engibe management system and the cycliinder deactivation. DESIGN FAULT.

2012 silverado with the same problems mentioned above. Traction control flashing stability control, cruise control was touchy now not working at all, running rough and slight rev in park every 20 sec's. Flashing engine light now. Changed the plugs (darn that one is hard to get off) and no change. Going to try disconnecting the battery overnight to see if it will reboot . I have no expectations that this will work. We bought 4 of these new and they all turned to junk.

Mine was going off due to one of the injectors being unplugged also I had a tick put new plugs in it and it went away

2011 Chevy Express 4.8l V8, same problems, Service traction control and Service stabilitrac came on, check engine and I lost power. This is 3- rd time this happened. + Truck vibrates going uphill ( always) Add me to the lawsuit, pomadren@yahoo.com

10

2007 Silverado new body style 5.3 I get the service stabilitrak message and traction control light comes on. Hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Add me to the lawsuit. Marianob1213@yahoo.com

30

2009 Silverado LT ~ 158,000 miles. Having the same trouble as everyone else.It will run perfect one time and then without warning barely idle the next. The mechanics are in parts changing mode, and there is no clear answer in sight. Other than idle this truck is running as it should. I have never had this much of a problem without a definite direction on repair. Chevy has lost a customer for good this time. Maybe its time for a Toyota. I don't think a lawsuit will help. Chevy would issue a service bulletin if they knew what was wrong. I don't think they know anything more than us DIY guys, but I am certainly on the complaint list - jchorn@reagan.com .

40

2009 Silverado, 109,000 miles. Just had to have all the lifters replaced, $3,056.00. Drove the truck under 100 miles and just had it towed back to the shop for the same problem. I have always used Mobil 1 oil.. This 5.3 motor is junk and GM knows it

My 2016 chevy traverse is a nightmare to me. Service stabilitra and traction control light comes up literally every time I'm out from the Chevy dealer shop. Happen like 7 times now from the day of my purchase. So frustrating and they can't fix it. In the space of 2 weeks it happened 3 times after the got me out from the their shop. On my way driving home it happened. And they keep charging me money each time. Pls add me to any law suit and i have all the Service details

20

is this a dead thread? I've got the same problem everyone indicated above. 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 4x4 z71 157,000 miles P0304 error code. Took it to the dealership and turns out I also had an issue with cylinder 2. Dealer is recommending an engine swap at over $7k. If there is a lawsuit happening can someone reach out to me? I'd really like to be included. I've never missed a maintenance and always used Mobil1 full synthetic with DEXOS in my engine. Can't believe I'm doing an engine replacement at under 200,000 miles.

70

Hey All - I wrote a short explanation of the problems that we are having with our 5.3 engines and sent to a couple attorneys here in Kansas City, I have a meeting with one of them on the 19th. The problems is that I am not going to pay for this, I told the attorney that he would get his $$$ from the class action suit but that would (could) take a long time so I doubt if he is going to do this for free. So how many of you are willing to fork over some $$$$, as many bad engines as there are and if we got everyone organized I won't think it would be that much money each - but then again I have no idea what I am taking about. Will let you know what the attorney says - Jud

30

2010 Silverado LTZ 80024 miles started doing the same thing. Add me to any lawsuit markabrown122@gmail.com sounds like GM has known about this all along and is choosing to do nothing about it

50

I had the same problems with my 2011 5.3l V8 Silverado. Check engine light flashing and the Stabilatrak light and traction control warnings going off. It lost most of its power. I tried the fuel management disabler that was talked about earlier in this thread. I got it in the mail last night. I plugged it in and unhooked the battery for a couple minutes. Hooked the battery back up and started it. The warning lights all went away and ran pretty the way to work today. Ran great on the way home too. The only issue I am having now is that it is idling a little rougher than it used too and runs a little rougher in town in traffic. But not as rough as it was when the warning lights were on. I am not a car guy and have no idea what to do to get rid of the rough idling.

10

@gonechickin Same situation as you im thinking my motor mounts need to be replaced because the engine moves a lot when i put my truck on drive or reverse but i do t know how to fix the rough idle although the range disabler helped a lot

50

@pedro. I am going to get the spark plugs and wires changed soon to see if that helps. I don’t think my motor moves when I put it in gear, but I will watch for it now that you brought in up. I will update in a week or so after driving it more.

15

fletch57@sbcglobal.net 2007 Chevy Suburban, check engine light blinking, rough idle, jerks from 1st gear to 2nd, ticking sound coming from engine, service stabilitrak, service traction control, add me to the lawsuit!

10

Same situation. 2011 GMC Sierra with Stabilitrak, Traction Control and flashing engine light. Loud ticking noise and rough idle. First time this happened was at 59k and again now at 109k. It was covered by warranty the first time around, but the dealership declines any assistance now. Always owned GM products in the past, but looking at others moving forward.

I have the same problem with my 2009 suburban. Service stabilitrak and traction control, rough idle. Add me to law suit. 1981.jorge.salazar@gmail.com

30

I finally found the answer. The truck I love and the brand I want now sits in a used car lot. Sorry Chevy, but after hundreds of dollars in parts and way too many hours on my 5.3 issues, I am now driving a Tundra. Average 21 mpg, plenty of get up and go, and best of all I don't panic that it will die at the stop light.

55

2015 suburban- I had my engine replaced back in February of this year due to a supposed valve lifter breaking inside my engine. Powertrain covered it all since I had 8,000 miles left on the warranty. NOW, I have taken my vehicle in due to a misfire on cylinder #2 according to the code reader and I have 100,300 miles on the vehicle and they said that the powertrain wouldn't cover the issue if it's a coil pack. The thing is, they don't know what it is because they can't get the check engine light to come on when they are testing it. Seems as if the misfire happens when there is a load on the engine such as a hill climb. Anyone think it could be something simple like the coil pack, wires, plugs, etc?, or is there an underlying problem to the whole 5.3 motor. Thanks

Someone told me that it could have been triggered by hooking up my travel trailer to my suburban. ( The stability ask problem)

30

My truck is at the dealer right now I'll let you know what they say

10

I unfortunately would like to get added to the list as well. 2007 Suburban with ALL symptoms mentioned above.... jacobs.andy82@gmail.com

570

@Andrew, yes there is an inherent design fault with the 5.3L V8 AFM engine that Chevrolet has never officially acknowledge or recalled. The only way to fix most of the listed issues is to use an AFM disabler so the engine never drops from V8 mode to 4 cylinder mode. This seems to be causing the engine management and other systems to fail for temporary periods of time, some longer and worse than others. Extra engine oil changes, flushes is probably a good thing as well. Absolutely amazing that so many people are having these problems and that is just post on this forum only. Most be thousands?

20

Had all the same symptoms like everyone else it ended up being my 2007 suburban fuel trim value was reading E85 fuel at around 90% Alcohol and needed to be reset at around 3% at the dealer with there scan tool.... now I have a 2012 and it’s doing the same damn thing

50

@Pedro. Ok, I had used the AFM disabler for a few days, the lights and warnings had went off and it ran fine for a few days. Then it started idling rough and the warning lights came back on. I took out the disabler and unplugged the battery for a few minutes, then plugged back in the disabler and reconnected the battery and it was fine for a couple more days. Then had the rough idle again. I got an appointment with my trusted mechanic for yesterday. The truck sat for about a week as I was out of town for the holidays. So I jumped in and started it up. It was idling fine and no warning lights. I had to let it warm up for about 20 minutes as it was 24 degrees outside and was iced over. It is about 20 minutes to the repair shop. The truck drove great and ran better than it has in a long time. Got about 5 minutes away and my oil pressure light came on and the gauge showed zero pressure. I went on to the shop and parked it and shut it off. I started it back up and it had pressure again. I told my mechanic about everything that was going on. He said it is usually the plugs, coils, or lifters. He checked all the plugs they were fine. The wires and coils were fine. There was no error codes showing on the system. He took it out and drove it around. He took out the disabler and drove it around again. The oil pressure light came on again and he added 2 quarts of oil. He said he could not find anything wrong with it. He told me to drive it for a while and report back to him. I drove it all day today without the disabler in and it ran great.

70

Hey All, I have a question, on my 2008 Chevy Silverado 5.3 I was having problems with the AFM system, I had cylinders that were backfiring in the cylinder – had to have new lifters installed. My Stabil track and Traction control did not act up until my number 6- cylinder lifter froze up and that cylinder stopped firing, I had to top end rebuild and all problems went away. There is a lot of talk about the Stabil track and Traction control problems but (at least I have not seen) people are not saying that this problem and the AFM are related. They were absolutely related on my truck, so my question is – are the two problems related. Thanks Jud

20

https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=AFM+Disabler+for+V6+and+V8+GM+vehicles Updated link to AFM disabler on Amazon. @Grant since you seem to be the only one responding with this as the solution with detail has it continued to work? I plan on picking one up ASAP. Just curious if you have had additional or similar issues since it's installation. BTW THANK YOU!!!!!!!! for your input. 1st and only solution I have read about in several years and MANY forums/posts read.

10

so I had had the traction control light come on and flashing engine light, run rough on idle and would down shift hard from 2nd to 1st, I changed all the plugs and that didn't make a difference, I then bought the AFM disabler and at first the traction control lights still came on but the engine light quit flashing, I made a long road trip the other day and it ran great with no alarms just the engine light is on but not flashing so hopefully this atleast allows me to drive the vehicle normal again

10

I have an update...Get an AFM Disabler as fast as you can if you have a 5.3L that was made from 07-12. I was too late on mine!! My cam has been rolled smooth on cylinder #4. From the sounds of it, this issue is most common around 130,000 miles. I have 190,000 on mine, so I guess I was lucky!! Instead of replacing the cam, I am putting in a new OE block, new injectors, new coil packs, new water pump, and using everything else off my current engine. My suburban is in fantastic shape...no rust, interior is near perfect (thank you leather and WeatherTech!!). My mechanic, who has "seen it all", has highly recommended getting rid of the Active Fuel Management. He said this wasn't one of GM's best ideas and has caused a lot of problems...which is evident just from this site's users!! Anyway, I hope some of you don't have to go the extent I am. Get that disabler as soon as you can!!!!!!!!!!

My problem is the same as everyone else. Please add me: jason@islandsightandsound.com

570

@S4N To answer your question I have not had one issue since plugging in the AFM probably 4 months ago now. In fact the engine has much more performance and sounds better from the moment of using the disabler. I will never remove the AFM disabler as I know what will happen if i do. I got the idea from a previous poster on this forum so thanks to them. There most be thousands of people wasting thousands of $$ on having their vehicles sent to workshops to repair something that is non repairable due to the design flaw of the 5.3L flex fuel engine.

20

My 2012 suburban is going to the dealer just to have the fuel trim reset and I will be buy one of these AFM for sure been reading up on them and they seam to work for a lot of people thanks guys y’all probably saved me thousands

80

Grant please keep us updated on the AFM disabler, i have a very nice 07 silverado i bought this year its used but very nice and i got the hard shifts first, they did a reset, they went away, came back, reset AGAIN, now im having the ticking noises and fear that they didnt fix the problem properly that somethings damaged, there is absolutely something wrong with the AFM, i have warranty so hopefully they can fix whats damaged and i will get the AFM disabler, I just went through this whole forum i wonder if the calibration would be just as good as the AFM disabler, thoughts? BTW lawsuit i would be in as well TRLAJEUNESSE@outlook.com

50

After using the disabler for a few days, the truck runs great. I took it out to see what it would do and nothing happened. It has ran great for a week now without it. I also unhooked the battery when I first plugged in the disabler and now there is now errors in the system.

20

@Gonechicken So it does not reset when removed? I thought it would have to stay in to be disabled?

570

@sisu8888 I am pretty sure GM techs would have a very good idea of the 5.3l afm issue and will not discuss it. GM will never say buy an AFM disabler as this would admit the engine has design faults and then lawsuits. Lawsuits could take years and will not fix this problem now or anytime soon. The AFM is also banned for sale in Cali. Best option is to try one with 30 day return policy before spending $$$ at workshops that will not fix the faults.

10

@Gonechikin Did the rough idle go away after replacing the spark plugs and spark plug wires?

50

I didn’t even replace them. I don’t know what happened, but it is running great now after using the disabler for a few days. When I unplugged the disabler everything ran like normal. No rough idle, no warning lights, nothing. I have the disabler in my consol just in case something happens. The AFM is back to working for the time being.

50

But as Grant said earlier, this disabler does work. It could save thousands of dollars. It is worth a try before spending money on a mechanic.

20

The fuel trim value was correct they changed one spark plug and sent me on my way it’s running fine but I did order a AFM and it should be here Thursday .... thanks again everyone on this post

80

Grant question for you, did you have a misfire on any of your cylinders? Ive been doing some research on the disabler and if you have a failed lifter it can actually cause more harm than good, my mechanic said just a misfire code on cylinder 6 not a failed lifter used seafoam and changed to synthetic oil and the ticking noise went away. Would you go ahead and use the disabler in my circumstance?

570

@sisu8888. I don't believe I had a misfire on any cylinders. With the ticking, knocking noises I thought I had a stuck or damaged lifter but I think my problem relates to most others here with the AFM causing the engine management computer system to crap itself, flashing lights, hard shifts, running on reduced cylinders etc. I am no expert or mechanic and simply reviewed online info and learnt from my own experiences with my vehicles problems. I would use the AFM disabler on the 5.3l flex fuel model as it seems every engine will at some time have this issue that comes and goes away and returns more frequently for longer periods. The engine runs much better with the AFM in performance. I bought my vehicle with 90K on the clock and first problems started around 130K and i have 170K on the clock now. From other folk on this forum it seems the disabler is working for quiet a few others so that is good news, this may be a simple fix for a lot of the problems, but not all.

10

Add us to lawsuit. 2011 Silverado 1500 5.3 LTZ. Keefechuck5@gmail.com Sooo many problems, this is the final straw. Never again Chevy!!!!!

10

my husband had same problem, w 2007 silverado keep getting codes . Then but disabler installed no more problems

10

I had a similar experience this morning. My 2010 Silverado w/ 6.2 "went into limp mode" stabilitrak, low power, traction control, all flashing while only being able to maintain roughly 1k rpm. Very low power, drove the rest of the three miles to work, parked and disconnnected the battery, waited twenty minutes and started back up. Drove home 30+ miles and no issue yet. Going to take it to shop to get coded, will post updates. Hopefully nothing horrible!!!!

30

Well I just got my truck back from the dealer every thing covered by the warranty. They said it was a bad #7 piston carbined up. Didn't even look to find what accualy caused it

I heard it was the accelerator pedal and wheel speed sensor. I have a rental now not sure for certain yet. GM should just pay to convert all our cars to electric and stop selling junk. 200 mile range please.

50

I've had all the above problems with a 2008 Silverado 5.3L engine now has 86,640 miles. Been to 2 dealers (P0303) first said needs new motor at 80,000 miles, second said needs heads and valves cleaned. Had new plugs, compression leak test show 30 drop on #3, cylinder soak, coil packs checks and fuel injectors checked. Today, 200 miles after the last dealer and last check engine light, I get the Stabilitrak light while setting still, idling at a long traffic light, but no check engine light. Made 4 more stops and starts, no more lights. I think the 5.3L engine is a lemon and I feel cheated by GM. This one is flex fuel, but no E85 stations within 30 miles so I burn mostly regular or premium. Odd to me that I can run 9 months with no light, then it's back again, just for awhile.

20

https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/

10

Add me to the class action lawsuit -2008 GMC Yukon 5.3 engine , same issues flashing check engine light, service stabilitrack and service traction control lights displayed on dash.Lack of power and rough idle. blairpawelczyk@yahoo.com

20

Is anyone having issues with their battery? 85% of the time I have to jump my truck for it to start after sitting overnight or for a long period of time. It seems to be worse in colder weather which makes sense. I have had the battery tested and it is almost 100%. It's been going on for some time now so I now carry around a small charger with me to give myself a jump while I'm on the road if needed. Just curious if anyone has come up with a fix?

30

I’m a retired GM master auto mechanic. I had the same problem on my 2010 Sierra lifter noise with engine miss. It went away after I changed the oil. I noted that if I changed the oil every 3 k miles the problem did not come back. First time this happened was at around 30k miles. Now have 110k miles on it. This is a known problem and it is a electronic lifter failure. There is now a fix for this that involves eliminating the bleed down lifters. GM should step up and acknowledge this concern. Now my 2015 Silverado with only 35k is doing the same thing. Misfire ans check engine light flashing with traction control light on. If there is now a class action lawsuit on this add me to it. I would think they should be held accountable since this vehicle won’t meet federal emissions when this happens or get the advertised fuel economy.

Add me to the action lawsuit - 2012 Suburban 5.3 engine. Same issues flashing check engine light, service stabilitrack and service traction control lights displayed on dash. Lack of power and rough idle. mikebbroaddus@gmail.com

10

Add me to the lawsuit as well-2007 Silverado Z71 5.3L Crew Cab. The heater hose disconnected and had to replace it. After replacing it, now the Stabilitrack and the Traction control is saying it needs to be serviced. It also has a very rough shift into reverse, drive, and when shifting from 1-2 gear. My cruise control stopped working years ago have no idea why. My truck sorta has a flex fuel where it shifts from V8 to V4, well now it doesn't shift into V4 again. I replaced the oil pressure sensor and started working again but sounds horrible when it would shift back in forth. Also a while back I would lose engine power if I hit the gas to hard. Like if the engine was over heated and shut itself off. It would suck because it would take a cool minute for it to turn back on. Then would run like nothing happened. But it hasn't done it again after I replaced the oil pressure sensor. Shit there are times when my brake fluid or oil would be a tad bit low and my whole truck would go outta wack. I am also having problems with the cat converters. I need to replace both of them again because they only last 100,000 miles. I have over 200,000 miles on my truck. I just wish I was more mechanically inclined to fix it myself but I am not nor do I have the tools to do it. Being a Disabled Marine Corps Veteran, my monthly pay check isn't enough for me to be able to fix it back up to par like it should be. My name is Christie-Marie Camacho and my email is cecepuentes@gmail.com.

Same issues at the majority on here. Just started bad tonight. Very rough idle rougher than ever sitting the the light leaving work. 2007 Silverado Z71 4x4 138k. Went about .10 mile and the lights came on and the check engine light flashing. After a few miles it went off. Then another red light and same issue, the. Off again and so on two more times after a stop and idle for a few minutes. I love my truck and have had little issues but my confidence in GM went way down after all my research tonight! Add me to the list of unhappy and less than satisfied Chevy owners. Eynonusmc@gmail.com I also have a issue with the 4x4 that just started in September and the dashboard cracking. There is a TSB and even a recall hit when I called GM support they just held setting that my vin didn’t match the affected years so it couldn’t be the same issues.... mine is technically 2007 1/2 as it’s the first gen of that body style change over.

10

My dash has also cracked. Plus there is a recall on the air bags, but it hasn't gone completely into affect yet. I should have waited a year after the body style changed then maybe I wouldn't have had so many issues. IDK I bought it new off the lot in 07 with 34 miles on it and now has 200,000+ drove from Cali to NYC then back to Cali and it is still kicking. Just wish it didn't have these problems anymore and sound the way it used to. Did any of you get the Perma done to the inside and outside of the truck? That crap doesn't work. My seats cracked my door panels look old and the center console cracked badly!!

10

Just called Chevy and they said no recall as of yet, however if people keep calling about the issue then they will look into it. Worth trying to do. 8002221020 then hit option 0 for an operator. My 2007 just started doing it today. Everyone call and let’s get them to do a recall

80

2007 Chevy Avalanche: I suddenly experienced the same issue reported by many others here relative to the Stabilitrak/Traction Control problem/Loss of Power. After a lot of research I took a stab in the dark it may be related to the ill-conceived AFM (Automatic Fuel Management System). I purchased the AFM Disabler from Range Technology over a month ago and so far it has solved all the problems with the added bonus of having all 8 cylinders working all the time! Before spending thousands with the dealer I'd recommend this $200 fix first.

10

So i have an update to the Stabilitrak/Traction Control/Loss Power issue. I bought a code reader and started driving my truck to see if it would shut down again. The very next morning on the way to work it did in fact shut down. The code that it came up with was P2135 (Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/ Switch a/b voltage correlation), i unplugged the battery and drove the truck back home just fine. Then after doing some research to see what part i needed i found out that back in 2013 there was a recall for the Throttle Position sensor. Called the dealership and they said that they would take care of it free of charge. Been driving the truck for a couple days now and so far no issue. Hope this helps somebody!!!

50

Blinky2008 update. After stabilitrack light came on sitting still, I ran a can of CRC GDI IVD valve cleaner through the MAF intake. I also found a few NON-ethanol gas pumps in Missouri, one was 16 miles away. After the treatment, I drove down and filled Blinky up with NON-ethanol premium gasoline from MFA. Since I don't drive much and non-ethanol gets better fuel economy, I've only used 3/4 of a tank. The truck has run great, no lights, and the missing at idle at lights seems to have dissipated. It's odd to me that in a farming town that raises miles of river bottom corn, that here is the NON-ethanol fuel. I believe the CRC product may be better than other 'panther pyss' I have added to the fuel tank. I'm not giving up on E-85, just can't find the stuff to buy. Class action lawsuits sound great, but I would be happy just to have GM fix their trucks. Until GM fixes this problem, I will be looking at Fords. More later.......

50

S4N answered about a week ago; Is anyone having issues with their battery? Have you cleaned the posts and cables with the round wire brush that can be bought at an Auto Parts store? How old is the battery? If the battery is over 6 yrs old, a new battery maybe needed. Get the highest Cold Cranking Amps you can find (at least that's what 's needed on old 70's Dodges). Otherwise your jump box sounds like a good backup..

All the same issues for my 07' Avalanche. Replaced engine and transmission. Still have all the same symptoms. Add me to the lawsuit hanley523@gmail.com

Same problems here, same money shelled out, only to have the problems return. 2008 Suburban. Come on, four kids, one wants to go to college, youngest has cerebral palsy, I don't have the money for continuing problems for a defective system. Fixing this engine is like thinking rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic would help. I feel for all the people who have been burdened by this engine. I would like to be reimbursed for all the money I spent replacing parts trying to get this vehicle to run correctly. Plugs, wires, coil, injector treatments, head gaskets, catalytic converters, oxygen sensors; now it's suggested to have a valve job and lifters! Really! Add me to the the lawsuit. John.halas@aol.com

I just found something out about changing abs wire harness, may give that a try since mechanic has had my car for a month for a diagnosis. Then said may refer me to electronic shop. https://youtu.be/UegXKoSCGH4 Hope this helps, ill try it out soon as it comes in the mail.

2014 Silverado with 95,000 miles doing the same thing. Misfire on #1 with a few others with low counts. It seemed to happen out of the blue after getting a fresh tank of gas. Running seafoam and regane seemed to help it once I got a new tank of gas in there but now it's back to engine light coming on and Stabilitrak and traction control light blinking intermittently. Going to put new spark plugs in and maybe a new injector on #1 but after reading this..I would like to be added to the lawsuit. rperryman1@gmail.com

10

2011 GMC Sierra with 97,000 miles on it. My husband started the truck to warm up before leaving for work. The kids and I headed out to load up so I could take them to school in pl