When I start my 06 magnum SRT8 it revs up really high and I have to shut it down.

10

Asked by Sep 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM about the 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8

I don't drive it much. When I went to start it, battery was dead. I charged it enough to start
it and when it did It revved up really high it idled down slowly, when I gave it gas it revved
up again and I had to shut it down.. Help!!

68,985

Is engine light on?

10

No I didn't see any.. Last time I drove it was fine.. It's been about a month since last I drove it

35,645

Try my Chicken Soup approach. Disconnect the battery for about a half hour. Fully change the disconnected battery on the deep slow cycle. AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts will do this for free. This will allow the car's computer to reset itself. My gut feeling is that the ECU is "confused", for the lack of a better word, with the low voltage then suddenly get hit with a full charge. When you reconnect the battery turn the key on to the running position with out starting it for 30 seconds or so. That will "wake up" the ECU. I call it Chicken Soup because it couldn't hurt.

68,985

Agree,That would be the first approach,

10

Thank you! I'll try that tomorrow. Magnums seem to be very finicky,but a lot of fun!! I think I need to put more miles on it..

35,645

Yeah. Your Magnum just emailed me and said its tired of sitting around just looking pretty. It wants to go somewhere..... and go there FAST :-)

4,805

Clean the throttle body. With a car that doesn't see a lot of use, the pivot area can get gummed. There is only a small spring to return the blade to 'idle' position so hanging rev's is a result. Try it.

10

Ok I got a new battery,I tried the chicken soup, did not work. I tried cleaning the throttle body, no luck. But I narrowed it down to the gas pedal. I can grab the gas pedal and work it manually, I rev it up and as long as I pull the gas pedal back it works ok.

68,985

Spray throttle cable and butterfly in throttle body,with a little cleaner,and the follow with a few shot,s of wd40.

10

I didn't see a throttle cable going to my throttle body, I think it's electronic. The problem seems to be in the gas pedal, not at the throttle body.. The pedal when pressed returns back slowly..it's not really sticking. And my throttle body spring closes the butterfly with no problem. I don't know anything about how the gas pedal functions on the magnums. But I do know the problem seems to be the pedal.

10

From some search on the net the pedal is called accelerator pedal position censor. And I'm now thinking its bad. Is there any resetting on these pedals I should know about?

35,645

If the Chicken Soup approach didn't work then it's unlikely that you can reset it any other way.

10

Ok thanks guys!