Please help - I have a 2004 Mazda Rx8 and I'm having trouble finding out what it wrong with it the car will not rev past 5000 rpm when driving I was told it could be a blocked cat so I had that changed but the problem persists ?? If anyone can help I would be very much grateful Thanks

Asked by Jan 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM about the 2004 Mazda RX-8 6-speed

OK let me ask a couple things...does it run Ok otherwise? Accelerate OK? What is the red line on the tachometer?

Yes it runs ok , acceleration is sluggish and stops at 5000 rpm . What is Red line on tachometer I don't understand what this is sorry ??

Does the car have a tachometer on the dash instrument cluster..a meter that tells you engine rpm's or engine speed? If not it's a moot point. Otherwise my best suggestion is have the fault codes read at some parts chain that will do it free..then write them down and bring them back here, don't let the guy talk you in to buying anything until one of us here helps you de code the faults, several fellows here will do that for you if I don't see your reply..good luck

Oh I see yes the red line is 9000 rpm . When I had the cat changed they plugged it in to there computer but it didn't bring any codes up , so it looks like taking it to Mazda . Many thanks for you help very much appreciated thank you .

2,165

Try geting the transmission checked. that same happened to me . I had to get a new tansmisson.

Hi thanks for your answer I will do that . just curious was it an expensive job to fix when it happened to you ??

75

Take also a compression test...

195

Get get it checked at pepboys, those ford electronic junk genesis rotatorys, I still like them though, great cars. But a test should be about $80 bucks and well worth it, then you can DIY or solve it elsewhere

305

If you're not that familiar with the inner workings and the potential downfalls of the Renesis rotary motor you should really consider another car. I've owned one and wouldn't recommend it to a friend who isn't mechanically inclined. They are great motors but are more demanding and maintenance/proper use/procedures are crucial. They wear out really quick if they aren't running perfect. Good luck and try RX8 forums, because that problem is one I haven't heard of.