I have a 2005 subaru with head gaskets done last year will it go another 100000 miles?

Asked by Feb 24, 2017 at 10:00 AM about the 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 i Limited Wagon

If you maintain the car and do your service then yes the gasket should last another 100,000 miles, but sure other parts in the car will last just because you had the gasket replaced

Hopefully your mechanic used the new multi-layer head gaskets. Be sure and use Subaru anti-leak in the radiator. Some here say it does not work but I have proved that it does work with two Subaru's. Keep it tuned up and if the car pings use a higher grade gas as pinging can damage head gaskets.

How many miles are currently on your car? Most newer cars, especially Subarus, can go 200,000 miles or more... If you already have more than 150,000 miles currently, I don't know. 250,000 miles is a lot harder to do, in my opinion. And, what about your transmission?? I hope you have serviced the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, radiator etc. This is a lot of money, but, 100,000 miles of " NO CAR PAYMENTS" is your reward... Good luck.

Ignore Mark's answer, as chasing all these accessories is plainly stupid...and dangerous, as replacing t-stat, wp and rad increases error probability. leave well enough alone except to change ATF as well as oil. (Grasshopper: we know you mean well, but PLEASE leave tech questions to actual Subie pros! You've been asked to cease this type of naive answer innumerable times already....)

Ernie, I find your answers interesting... You ASSUME that everyone including me is working on our own cars.. Dangerous? HIGH probability of errors? Ridiculous. I have a PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC who services all of my cars. If he says I need something done, I do it. And when things seem to get too much, I get another car... It takes a lot of time, money and actual repairs to go 300,000 miles... I have only had one car past 200,000 and will not likely do this again... Look, fixing the car is always the least expensive option over purchasing a new or late model car... My mechanic doesn't make errors, and if he did, he would fix it. I'm not dealing with people who are not responsible for their actions.

What? Complete non sequitor, Grasshopper...as usual. Try to stay on topic.

subaru_2005-. I'm sorry, but, I need to point out that if you kept your car for even FIVE YEARS and went another 100,000 miles with NO CAR PAYMENTS, you would save the equivalent of $24,000 . YES, the average car payment is $400 per month or $4,800 per year. IF you or Ernie think that you'll ever exceed that in actual car repairs and maintenance, then you are sadly mistaken. Again, sure, there's times that you have to pay for extra expenses on your car, but 24 grand will pay for a lot of stuff! Ernie would rather sell you a later model car that he just prepped and I'm sure that they are very nice, but, if you are more interested in saving money, fixing everything on your car Including the engine, transmission and whatever else is wrong and driving it another 100 thousand miles is the least expensive option. It's just arithmetic.... Ernie doesn't get it. He thinks my answer is "stupid and dangerous"... Let me tell you that I had a 1995 Honda Accord.... purchased it brand new, financed it for 60 months, drove it for another 15 years with no car payments...That's 180 months or the equivalent of $72,000... There's no way you can lose on this... Your original question dealt with being able to go another 100,000 miles , SO, this answer is very much on topic... Again, some people need to read between the lines here. SO, go ahead and get your car professionally SERVICED and go another 100,000 miles with confidence. I'd rather have done all these things to prevent problems BEFORE they occur... Just me.

subaru_2005- One final thought... The only reason to purchase a new car is to get the latest safety features... If that is what you want, stop throwing money in your old car and get a replacement car sooner...

I don't think that is what you want otherwise you would not have asked how to get another 100 thousand miles on your car...

Mark, once again you quote "an alternative fact" based on ONE iteration! My suggestion is based upon personal experience with more than a 1900 specimen sample pool over 30+ years...PLUS anecdotal evidence from thousands of others. PLEASE go find another forum where you might have a shred of credibility!

I'm going to let people on this forum reading your last post comment about whether they think it's reasonable that someone is likely to spend $24,000 over five years or 100,000 miles on actual repairs..The average new car payment is $400 per month for 60 months, that's almost $5,000 per year.. Actual repairs are not MAINTENANCE, like oil changes, tires, brakes, etc... After that, we'll see who's credibility is really at stake here?

Even with maintenance included it won't exceed $24,000.

Grasshopper, did you buy a new shovel?