Is it worth buying a 2005 Subaru Outback Liminted with 200k miles?C

Asked by Apr 15, 2015 at 03:21 PM about the 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 i Limited Wagon

Car has seen mostly highway miles (from Madison WI to Chigago and back for 10 years)
and has been very well maintained. Looking to sell it to me for $4000. Any adivce as to
whether this is worth it? New headgaskets.

1,715

In my opinion, I would not purchase this vehicle with that mileage for that price. Subaru is a reliable car company but with 200k on the odometer, I'm not paying that kind of money. If the owner wants to sell it for 1500 to 2000 then a deal may be in the works but for $4000 you can get a vehicle with much less mileage and wear and tear which should give you greater piece of mind. Good luck on your next vehicle purchase. (FYI, you can buy the 2000 Ford Taurus I have for sale for $2600 OBO and it only has 83k on it. Lol. )

23,295

Wow, here's some info for you. The 2005 Outback did have problems and even though you're saying that the head gaskets were replaced, I would definitely skip this for $4,000. You really don't know what condition the transmission is in and with 200,000 miles on the car, you're staring at another timing belt and water pump replacement right now as well. If they were to sell you the car for $2,000, have all the service records and if the car were immaculate the next step would be to bring it to your mechanic for a thorough checkup. If it passes all these tests, then, you're good to go. Is the person selling the original owner? DO NOT PURCHASE THE TAURUS, HUGE MISTAKE. I DON'T CARE IF IT HAD 50,000 MILES. Why? I've personally known many people who have had transmission failures in these cars and had nothing but headaches, and things got so bad they had to donate the car. They couldn't sell their cars for love or money. Pretty pathetic car, sorry to Stanford. I'm afraid you're stuck with that unless you can find someone who is so desperate for wheels they will settle for anything. Thankfully, Ford has improved their act greatly in the past 15 years. The Ford Fusion is a really nice car if you exclude their new Ford "My Touch " infotainment system which is a confusing nightmare. A few other annoyances, but, the Eco Boost 2.0 is a pretty spirited engine. My advice to you is this, if you only want to spend $4,000 , buy a Honda Accord. I had an Accord EX for 19 years and got great service from that car. Good luck.

1,715

No need to apologize to me Mark, it's not my personal car. It's a customers car that we fixed and now it's for sale. No need to worry about the transmission though, it has a reconditioned transmission with a warranty. Overall, the Ford Taurus isn't perfect but it's certainly better than a Ford Explorer, which we rebuild transmissions for all the time.

23,295

Stanford, thanks for your reply. No, I didn't know that the Explorer was such a problem child , is that also true of the Expedition? And, have you heard anything about the Ford Edge. From everything I've read and my personal experiences renting the Fusion, it seems like a pretty decent car outside of the little gripes I mentioned. Is the Fusion a better built car ?

1,715

The Expedition, which I have previously owned does not seem to have as many issues. Although from 96-01 they both had an ption with the same transmission, the Expedition seemed to last. The Fusion is a good car. Really no complaints from me at all until they started putting the CVT transmisison in it in 2009. Even then though, I don't see very many Fusions coming into my shop for repairs, which is a good sidn that its a good car.

23,295

So, Ford CVT's have been causing some trouble? Or, you don't prefer CVT? Our other car is a 2009 Prius which has a CVT variant. Actually, the Prius transmission is a "power sharing transmission" not quite the same as a chain driven pulley CVT like that of the Subaru.

1,075

I bought a 2001 Subaru Outback wagon with 187000 miles on it it now has 200700 mile son it I paid $950.00 for it I did change the timing belt , pulleys, water pump for around $635 .00 at my local service station and changed out the valve cover gasket myself the car is leaking oil but so far it seems to be running pretty good I am not sure of the complete repair history of the car but do know i am only the third owner of it . I had a 2000 ford Taurus with 87000 miles on it that i paid $750.00 the head gasket was gone I just threw some head gasket repair stuff in there and drove it for two more years before it got totaled in a car accident, the insurance company gave me about twice the cost of the car ( I always put collision on my vehicles so iwas ablt to pick up the Subaru ( which is the car i was looking for so it worked out pretty good

Hi Keith, You mention that you put some head gasket repair in your car. Was your car running/working when you put the head gasket repair in or had it stopped running? I️ have a Mazda 3 that quit in me without warning. The shop said the engine was gone. A neighbor that works on cars tried the head gasket repair. I️ guess I’m wondering if it is possible for this hg repair to fix your car if the engine won’t turn over? The neighbor thinks that if he dries out my spark plugs the hg repair will start my car. I️ know this is an old thread but, would appreciate any help. Thank you,

1,075

my car was running when i used the Head Gasket stuff Does your car turn over at all>>> For the cost of the stuff I would give it a try Your engine may have actually seized up . check out the following link https://itstillruns.com/signs-symptoms-seized-engine-7841952.html Let me know what you fnd out. I used head gasket sealer on my 2000 ford taurus and kept it alive for another two years I did have to flush out my heater core because the stuff cloggit up