does the 2003 have a lighting control module

Asked by Apr 27, 2014 at 09:11 AM about the 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate

does the 2003 have a wiper control module

It does have a Lighting Control Module (LCM) And there is some good news if your's is failing: Ford just started fixing them for FREE!!! (Ref: Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 14N01) Now you probably have a bad LCM if: Neither your low or high beams will come on, yet the "flash to pass" brights come on when you pull the light switch on the steering column towards you. Ford/Lincoln/Mercury has finally decided to deal with the rat-nasty LCM's they have been putting out. You do NOT need to be the original owner of the car either. It just should be registered to you. I just got the letter on this from Ford last week. Without starting a safety recall, (as they should,) they are extending the warranty on the LCM (based upon VIN number,) to 15 years or 250,000 miles whichever comes first. AND if you paid earlier for this replacement and have the receipt, they will reimburse you for the repair provided it was done before the notice came out. The window to be reimbursed for an earlier repair looks to be between April 1st, 2014 to October 31st, 2014. This window also applies if your car is under 15 years, yet has exceeded 250,000 miles. Ford's LCM replacement is completely without charge for parts and labor. Retail owners should have their VIN number handy and call the local dealership for an appointment. They say it should take a half a day yet could be longer due to dealer "service scheduling requirements." They will only replace LCM's that do not work, but mine lasted 10 years before it started acting up. This gives Ford a way to show concern, without really dealing with the 1000's of LCM's that will fail after this window closes in the future. Ford only "invented" their LCM after their service departments were losing money on a system that smaller repair shops could easily fix. Nice to have a little black box that they could unplug and swap out so they could charge $800-$1000 in parts and labor then repair at the factory with three $10 relays. Anyway if you have any questions about this "un-recall" you may contact the Ford Customer Relationship (I'm in a "relationship?") Center at 1 (866) 436-7332 either they or the dealer can tell if your vehicle is covered if you have the VIN number handy. IN THE MEANTIME. Should you need to get granny to the hospital at night, you can try this AT YOUR OWN RISK. The LCM on my 2003 is located about 18" directly above the gas pedal under the back of the dash... Turn on the lights and give the LCM a tap with your foot. This will often engage the cheap Ford relays and the lights will come on. But you should make that appointment with the dealer before everybody starts fighting for access to the same part. I also don't know if Ford would be willing to call someone a liar if he claimed his headlights stopped working because he thought it is just a matter of time before the lousy relays in his LCM failed, since this is intermittent, and asked for an LCM replacement under this warranty as well. That is why this should be a RECALL, and not just some bean- counter's way of slithering out from all of the angry customers that demand action today. My Grand Marquis is really a fantastic car, but having to drive 50 miles home on narrow country roads with one terrified hand while holding the "flash to pass" arm with the other, and risking my life because Ford played it cheap with some relays on their flagship chassis for a decade or more, really makes you wonder what they were thinking. But if you think you have a bad LCM, you need to call a Ford dealership. DON'T GO TO A PRIVATE REPAIR SHOP! You will just be throwing your money away.

Ratpuppy, thanks for your answer. My LCM went bad around two years ago, I found one one e-bay and had it replaced, my brother is a mechanic and did it for me. Yes, there should of been a recall on these years ago. I have read many blogs where people lost their lights just like I did, it was scary. As far as my wiper problems, the original wiper motor I purchased was bad, had to get another one, so far things are going well. The first wiper motor I got lasted between two or three weeks. I did get a letter from Ford saying they would replace the LCM, I have noticed my lights have been acting up again recently and I may just have them replace the one I got from e-bay but I want to do a little more research to see if it is the LCM or the light switch. Sometimes the lights will come on when the car starts, sometimes they will not and I will have to set the switch on a different setting, seems to always be something going on. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

I just called Ford and they claim my 2003 Mercury Sable is not part of this program. It has 121000 miles on it. The car was claimed a total loss by my insurance company for a small dent in the fender. Could that have kept it from being covered?

Mike Addis

THEY won't cover my 2001 town car with 88k on it either, I talked to Lincoln customer dis-service.