i got a huge tear on the convertible top any suggestions

125

Asked by Aug 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM about the 1986 Ford Mustang LX Convertible

i got a huge tear on the convertible top any suggestions of what to use to repair cuz i cant afford to
replace the top. i just want to keep out rain and thieves at this point.
where to get the material to do it myself and what glues to use?

210,555

http://www.ehow.com/how_4734848_repair-torn-convertible-soft-top.html

Best Answer
125

those tips look good just need to find a place that has inexpensive good material for it.

5,975

Sorry to hear about your top but any roll of name brand heavy duty 100MPH cloth tape will work just fine. Don't use the wally world cheap stuff, it won't stay on and will peel after a day or so. With the name brand One piece on inside then one on the outside in the same spot so they touch together. It will be stronger there than the top itself. It's good for speeds up to 100mph and it's waterproof too. Here's just one of the many places to purchase it. http://www.combatsportsupply.com/military100mphoverthespeedlimitducttape.aspx Good Luck, Kenny / MrBlueOval

125

thanks for that. i had never heard of 100mph tape before!! gonna see if i can find it locally. the tape will help but still need a piece of material to tape.. was thinking of hitting up a boat shop maybe. your thoughts?

5,975

YUP, That tape is amazing. The nascar drivers use it to repair fenders and such. It works in a hurry. That's one of the reasons why they call it 100mph tape because it stays on at 100mph. Your hole must be a Huge, Huge whole if you need material, I'm sure an automotive trimshop(convertible tops ?) might have some scrap pieces in their trash can (take a drive around the back of the shop?)or possibly you might find a small piece at Johann's fabric shop or maybe a Hobby Lobby or Micheal's craft store??? Even if you have to buy a piece from one of those places, it will still be cheaper than the $450-$600 for a new convertible top.

375

Duck tape if your just trying to keep rain out and it together.the tape comes in all colors so unless your looking for the rip you probably won't be able to notice it

125

DUCt tape and Gorilla tape do not work in the HEAT.

375

Where do you live? I guess the rip is pretty big then. I would go to an apolstry shop they could probably aright a piece in or if you can sow cut the rip straight re-enforce the egdes and put a piece in yourself.make sure you leave enough for it to close without putting force on it

375

Stich in (sorry this phone writes its own words)

445

LOOK IN THE PHONE BOOK FOR A PLACE THAT SELLS AWNINGS OR THE MATERIAL USED IN AWNINGS, IT'S SIMULIAR TENT CANVAS.

125

that sounds like an idea. i also was considering a boating shop

125

i solved the problem... the top is fixed but i am not gonna delete this because you all had some good suggestions and i am sure i am not the only one with a rotted ragtop! thanks y'all.

375

No problem glad you got it fixed.so what was your solution.

20

Couldnt find the tape in short order but stopped by the repair shop for a fix on 2 big slices used to gain entry. The guy cut some light weight acetate. He chalk outlined where the acetate would lay, then put making tape around the outine. He proceeded to apply contact cement to the plastic, then the roof and tears. Waited 5 minutes for the contact. Removed the masking tape and applied the plastic with pressure from below as well. He whipped out a heat gun set on low and went over it for 60 seconds. Lastly he applied cloth tape around the square where the masking tape had been to keep the wind from getting under it. This should last the 2 to 3 weeks it will take to get the appraisal approved and work done.

20

before

30

Check out the YouTube video repairing it straight with no patch with something called storm sure, turned out amazing best of luck

1,965

Use a good tape Duck, or Gorilla tape the inside, then use a silicone bead on the outside, or super glue, or Gorilla glue,let that dry, and you be good to go....hope this helps

10

I tried everything possible, till I figured out what something called "liquid gasket" is, it adheres to the vinyl top for good and remains flexible. You can buy tubes of this for $6.99 at a pep boys, or get the same thing for $0.99 at the dollar store. For the really big tears, the only fabric that will work is the stuff from a black sun umbrella. (My store is next door to a restaurant and I just happened to catch them as they were replacing the umbrella tops) Cut away any freyed edges on the tear, (you'll also need to get a tube of clear 30 min dry silicone, and a roll of fiberglass drywall tape-the yellow roll) lay down the right size of the tape on the inside and outside using the silicone as the adhesive, as well as spread it inside the gap between both sides of the tape till its basically a sealed surface, let dry, then put the umbrella fabric on both sides with the liquid gasket on at least all 4 edges, preferably under the entire patch, let dry over night, and you have a lifetime patch that's so durable you can put the top up and down 20 times every day for years and will not break. I ended up just doing this over the entire top of my 2005 Nissan 350Z Roadster, because I didn't want to pay Nissan $4000 to replace it. It looks like it was never torn, and totally rotted away, a brand new top. It works on vinyl tops for sure, not sure if other cars use different fabric, but I've taken it through any and all conditions, including 140 MPH+ and it has not failed in any way at all for 40,000 miles now. Good luck, that's my year of research and hope it helps.