My 6 cylinder in a 5.0 mustang 1989 isn't firing any ideas I tried cap wires there compression it's been timed

10

Asked by Nov 26, 2013 at 08:19 PM about the 1989 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L

241,595

Are you getting spark? If not, then the coil. Check your grounds. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key?

10

I just changed the fuel pump and coil

10

Coil not new but it works

305

sorry for the obvious, but you did change the plug right?

10

It was done at the garage

555

Did you check the inertia switch in the trunk,,with that many miles , sometimes the magnet in the switch germs week and if you hit a bump to hard it will break the circuit going to fuel pump.

10

Where in the trunk and does got to be replaced how does it work

305

I don't think the inertia switch would affect only 1 cylinder

10

What about the distributor

555

Sorry about that, i had the idea it was a v6 in a v8 car, my bad. #6 not firing, try switching plug wires from one cylinder to that hole and see if problem follows if it does,bad plug wire,if not try a plug, get the picture. Could also be a vaccum leek in intake runner or a stuck valve.

555

If you want to shoot me an email to biggdog462001@gmail.com with your phone number an I will give you a call and try to talk you trough this, sounds like you have been working on it for awhile and frustrated at the problem, but some times it is hard to help over the net with hearing the complete story, because I though you had a v-6 in a v-8 car or is it number 6 cylinder on a 5.0 v-8. if I can help be glad to, happy thank,s giving

555

So you have a v6 in a v-8 car with no fuel, correct. if that is the case, and it all once quit running, check the switch under the rear plastic cover overdriver side rear ttire, usually it is a little black plastic box with two wire,s going into it. The wires go to a set of magnet contact's with a ball bearing inside, under normal condition's, the ball bearing will stick to the magnet contact's, if in a accident the ball will come loose from the contacts and shut the fuel pump off. But some time's when they get older a good bump or pothole can do the same thing , now on top of little black box has a red button the size of a dime with a little ridge around It, if you push on red button you might feel the ball go back into place, no their is no fix, you have to replace it. Not expensive. If ball is in place you will have power on either contact for about two second,s when you turn the key on, then computer.will shut it off if you don't try to start engine.

10

No it's a v8

555

So we have a fuel injected v-6 with no fuel or spark, did you change the Tfi module on the distributor, they like to overheat and burn out, andcan act real weird, also did you change the ecm main computer,because a v-8 one will not work with v- 6 distributor or module.

10

No I got the 5.0

555

OK muncey, #6 cylinder, not firing , if you take spark plug out of that hole hook it back up to spark plug and ground plug on block, still no spark, and you didn't say if it quit all at once, or what happened.

10

It runs sometimes on idle but when ya give it gas it doesnt

555

Muncey how you doing on stang. If fot some reason you mayhave wet fouled those plugs some timesthey come back after getting wet fouled with gas, plugs act diffrent under compression. If plug or plugs have a shiney coating on thewhite part ofplug, throw them away and start with a new set, even if you use a cheaper plug to test with. Some times i have used as many astwo or three sets after a fresh rebuild untill you get it running right.

555

I didn't ask is this still fuel injected or a carb.

10

Fuel injected ill try that

555

Have youever changed the T.F.I. module,itis the little gray plastic block mounted on distributor with a 4or5 wire plugin that goes to it. Have you had the codes read yet.

10

I just got a call from the mechanic he tried everything you said accept the module thing it's got compression he dont know why