i got a hyundai tiburon gt 07, im tryna get a cold air intake, reccomendations

5

Asked by Dec 03, 2009 at 12:44 AM about the 2007 Hyundai Tiburon GT

45

Injen makes great coldair intake line if you have the money. If your on a budget though, like i am haha, theres a guy who makes a custom 'cold air intake' thats sold on ebay that is actually very unique. Ive had compliments and points added at car shows because of it. It uses a longer flex-hose {which isnt cool in my opnion lol and i replaced it with the normal chrome pipe} but the filter is a reversed-cone filter just like all cold-airs but is enclosed in a unique All-carbonfiber housing} The coldair intake has the same average hp/torque gain as most intakes but has an extremely unique sound to it especially at full throttle. Here is a link to a current auction for it... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-2008-Hyundai-Tiburon-Cold-Air-Intake-System-07-08_W0QQitemZ260508449722QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca7837bba

125

I have a short ram intake that I took out off when selling the car. If you're interested send me a message. I'll sell it to you for $30 + shipping.

8,185

Please, do not get that cheesy universal kit, that thing looks so sketchy it's sickening. You could do better making your own with no previous experience making carbon parts... I really hope the guy recommending them actually works for that company. Because nothing about it makes any sense.... The stupid lil chunk of carbon tube has no purpose other than to restrict the flow to the filter. Seriously, WTF!

45

Actually your wrong believe it or not. I felt thesame way as you that it was poorly designed and made no sense. But someone had purchased it for me as a gift not knowing anything about cars or that i had no use for it on my '07 Tiburon SE. I already had an INjen ColdAir Intake on my car but figured id install that for the hell of it to see what it was like. The carbonFiber aspect of it is purely for looks and the positive addition i guess of shaving a pound or two off the avg. intake weight. However, again out of pure curiosity i ran my car, with same tuning for both intakes, on a Dyno and while they both ran with the same Horsepower the Universal Intake actually had an additional 2lbs/ft torque over the Injen Intake. Now i did modify the Universal Kit to a point, changing the flex tube to a solid Chrome Aluminum pipe and mad a custom bracket to hold the filter in a more efficient spot, as well as modifying the Inlet to make it bigger than original. I know a lot of people are into name brands and all that. But lets face it car parts are not always cheap and these days not everyone can just drop couple hundred bucks on small upgrades like Intakes. Not to mention the attention and points at car shows etc you get when you have custom/unique stuff. Theres maybe $110 into the Universal kit after the mods i did to it to have the same benefit versus the avg $250 for a coldair intake from a name brand.

8,185

And you could make the filter housing for $15 and if you're chucking the flex pipe you're not buying their crappy kit. The end is just a piece of pre fabricated carbon tube which goes for between $5 and $10 a foot, and it just goes over the filter, it has no purpose. And the filter is rarely the major restriction on intakes since they are usually size appropriately. Like I said he could make a better one himself, as could you (which you apparently did with a custom hard pipe)