2007 Chevy Cobalt cranks longer than usual to start over night and after work.

150

Asked by Jul 15, 2014 at 10:06 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Sedan FWD

This car has been good to me, but it is 5 years since I have had it now and things are bound to happen. I have noticed it doesn't start as quickly as usual, but only after sitting over night or 8 hours after work. Used to be you could check the corrosion on the battery, but not so now I discovered. Just wondering what it might be, seems like perhaps the battery, which is an easy fix, but wondering if it might be something else. Thanks.

150

Each day it takes longer to turn over in the morning. Should I have the battery tested, or could it be something else?

5,165

While it doesn't sound like a battery problem to me, a 5 year old battery is pretty much due for replacement as part of regular preventative maintenance. I'd suggest changing it and seeing what happens. If the problem persists, some proper diagnostics by a qualified technician would be money well spent before replacing anything else.

110

I am having exactly the same problem with my cobalt... Did you car got fixed already ?.. Any advise.?

110

Helloooo

150

I got the battery changed out. It was the original, so with 7 years in I thought that was a good deal. However it is still doing it. I almost took it into the shop I usually go to, but decided to give it some more gas when trying to start it, duh, like I had not thought of that. It helps. I am also noting other strange doings like the turn signal clicking out but comes on some times, but the signals still work. etc. When the symptoms get obvious enough, I am making notes, I will take it in.

110

I have the same turn signal problem... Now I just find out the car is leaking gas somewhere near or the gas tank...

150

Thanks Miamivice. I have been thinking gas may not be getting to wherever it needs to be. I am speculating this might be a fuel pump thing. I think I read somewhere that there is a sensor in that area that routinely goes out on these cars. I get paid on Thursday so am just kind of waiting it out. But I am also thinking fuses for some of the other stuff cause the radio changes volume on its own every once in a while also.

110

It was the fuel pump conection to the fuel filter. But, now the mechanic have change it two times and the fuel pressure blows the pump inside the gas tank.... He told me today is the fuel filter the one that regulates the fuel pressure in my car and it need to be change... It this true...?

150

Well I have not taken my car in yet. It cranks a little longer than usual, but it turns over. And this is just first thing in the morning and when I go home from work. Any other time it turns over like usual. I don't want to be charged a bunch of money when what it is doing is so subtle and I can still get by and it might be difficult to figure out what is wrong from a mechanics point of view. So I figure wait until it is a real nuisance, go in with my notes and be ready to pay as cars eventually break down and this car has been good to me. .

25

Florena I was hoping you could possibly post your results and how it was fixed if it was. I have been dealing with the same problem for a while now and I was hoping not to spend a bunch of money as I already got the fuel pump replaced for a good chunk of change and it did not fix it. I know this was a while ago but hopefully you see this! Thanks.

Hello Florena/jstrydor, could you post your results?

25

Hey Mervan. I do not own this vehicle anymore, but when I parted with it it was still running smoothly. The solution that worked for me was to turn the key until the electricity turned out (not starting it), and leaving it there for 4 seconds or so. After doing that my car would always start nicely. I do not know if this will help but with my situation it did. -JP