89 Buick Regal Custom drivers side door is jammed.

65

Asked by Nov 20, 2014 at 01:28 AM about the 1989 Buick Regal 2-Door Coupe

Every winter I have to tug open my 89 Buick Regal Custom drivers side door for it to
open. How can I repair that? Should I spray W-40 and add some white grease or should I
replace the door linkages? I did have the door replace in 1995 and they said it came off
of another 88 or 89 the exact color. Any answers would help so I can get it repaired
before the winter gets here.

34,165

Start by spraying it. Does the door sag or drop a little when you open it? If that's all case your hinges are in need of new pins. Last, look at the latch. Is it lose? Dose it needs replacement/ adjustment?

65

No the door doesn't make any noise or drop. Like I said the drivers side door was replaced and the only thing it does is get jammed. Do you think it just need to be sprayed and applied with grease because it never done that when the door was replaced.

104,185

WD40 works great...

19,330

BoholMark is right. If I remember correctly in 1989 the 2 door regal had a door handle up high on the door frame between the door glass and quarter window. The rod inside the door from the handle to the latch can get bent and it doesn't move the latch far enough to open the door. Or the handle or latch can get bent where the rod connects to each of them with the same results as above. It wasn't the best design and I replaced a lot of handles because people broke them off trying to get into their cars. (2 door grand prix, cutlass supreme and lumina all had the same handles as you regal)

65

So what should I do? Just spray the door hinges with W-40 and apply some grease? The door is fine itself. It just won't open sometimes when it's below 0.

19,330

Yes spray the latch with WD 40. But its a temporary fix. You need to take the door apart and look at the handle, rod and latch and make sure nothing is bent, sloppy or wore out.