Loss of Brakes

Asked by Jun 01, 2014 at 10:58 PM about the 1987 Buick Regal 2-Door Coupe

Drove my T-Type for about an hour with no problems. Then the brake light came on so I
stopped and shut it off, when I restarted it the pedal was hard and I had no brakes. I
popped the hood and brake fluid was coming out from under lid of master cylinder

9,715

Master cylinder bad,replace,may have to check brake booster if that doe,s not fix your problem.

96,825

Couple of things can cause this, the most common is a sticking brake caliper or wheel cylinder causing the fluid to boil raising the pressure and causing the fluid to blow around the master cylinder seals thus ruining the seals so you have total loss of brakes, 2 water in the system, as you drive the fluid heats up and the water turns to steam causing the same problem. If you have brakes after it cools down you may have avoided replacing the master cylinder, but completely flush the brake fluid in all 4 wheels, then check for a dragging caliper or wheel cylinder not retracting, you may have to rebuild or replace some braking components due to contamination or corrosion.