Is there a way to open a Fiero trunk with no power or no key

Asked by Feb 06, 2012 at 08:31 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

My Fiero battery has died and the key dose not work, (for what ever the reason).  I need to get into the trunk space to charge the battery.

285

the only way in to that drunk is to drill out the lock. I had thought about putting in some kind of back up steel wire but have not done it yet. you could use a chain saw but that is so messy. sorry i dont have better news.

285

i just had a idea ... does your car have the electric trunk release if it does you may be able to put some power into that circuit from a battery charger by taking out the dash switch and and powering it that way. good luck.

1,435

I would find a way to charge your battery through your cig lighter. Takes longer but in your case it would be a good way to go. Sometimes you can find them already made or just buy the stuff at an auto parts store

320

Yup. Charge the battery through the lighter. Key needs to be on for this. You may need to bypass the trunk switch ( hit it directly with power via jumper cables if the battery is totally toast. Not likely but possible. We have had intermittent trunk switches with this problem. Haynes, Chilton will have the wiring diagram. Also interesting, the switch motor is grounded back at the latch -- when it closes. cheapo but works I suppose) Don't try attacking this with wires, holes, etc. Bite the bullet and have a locksmith drill this out if all fails. Just wait when the front deck lid wont open. And the backup cable is broken. Whee!!!!!

320

You can get this. Dont mess with the taillights if this is a GT. Too hard to find. Basic Fiero you can smash a taillight and go in that way. (We own a wrecking yard and had some fun with this. Of course, we have lots of spare taillights. Kind of a heartbreaker though. Was this car completely thought through by the engineers? Duh......)

315

pull a lock out of the door and take it to a locksmith... they can make a key from the lock for <$10 and then you have a spare too. ran into this about a week ago on my 87. it's not that hard to do either.

205

If you dont have a key you need to get one made anyway, I like the locksmith idea. I also have a solar charger that charges through the lighter socket, works great for winter storage, Most hardware stores have them (Northerntool.com) You can also use a jump pack on the switch or fuse box

If you have a power switch for the trunk, jack up the car and get a pair of jumper cables and hook it up to your starter. Using another car you can jump your battery through your starter to get enough juice to your battery to open the trunk.

10

if you look under the dash on the driver side there will be a relay for the power trunk switch it will be up there a ways in line with the gas pedal it will have a black wire, a yellow wire with a black stripe, and an orange wire with a black stripe. unplug the relay and take a 12 volt battery charger and hook the positive to the yellow wire with the black stripe, and the negative to the black wire, you trunk latch should pop open

10

I had this exact same problem with my 84 Fiero. I took off the trunk release switch and powered the left 2 contacts with a battery charger. The trunk lid popped right open. I understand that the trunk release switch was a dealer installed option, so some cars do not have it.

get a male lighter plug with pigtails ($3 at auto supply) connect to battery charger and let it charge for 48 hours and pop your trunk lid