Is there a way to siphon out the gas vs taking off the tank?

Asked by Jun 29, 2014 at 01:41 PM about the 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

I've got a tank full of bad gas and would rather siphon it out but cant seem to get hose in far enough to get to the gas. The only option I have left is to take off the tank and drain.

122,785

I use an air compressor hose to do this. It is smaller and stiffer than a regular garden hose. I have also used small vacuum hose before. Takes longer but easier than dropping a tank in my opinion. Also might try rolling the hose as you insert it. This helps to hop over small lips in the filler neck. Have also removed a filler neck before and inserted hose right into top of tank.

5,125

Lazy way: Disconnect the fuel line at the injector rail, connect a gas hose to the line, drop the other end in a tank. Turn the key on - the pump will empty the tank in about 30 minutes. Faster way is to drop the fuel supply line off the tank, get a siphon going, and the tank should drain in about 3 minutes.