Has anyone had to change shocks and struts on a 2006 range rover sport?

Asked by Mar 09, 2013 at 03:43 AM about the 2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE

I noticed going over speed bumps and dips, my car bottoms out. Suspension seems stiff and car
doesn't drive as smooth and quiet. Wondering if this is the solution and how much does it cost?

1,255

Af far as I remember when I owned one the Range Rover has air suspension, so this is the first place I would look. Check that all bags inflate, the the system is working and not stuck in service mode.

Darius I believe you, you had one, but when I saw this question I did some reading up on this car and it shows, for 2006 anyway, no mention of air ride. It has MacPherson Struts in front with 4 wheel independent suspension with double wishbone in rear. It's a Range rover after all, and the suspension is going to be stiff. But is should NOT bottom out, that is for certain. They use Jaguar and BMW engines in RR's and your Sport has a respectable 315 HP 4.4 V8 BMW engine. Horrible gas mileage, 13/17 Hwy.

Bottoming out in this car, of all cars, is very unusual, unless you are hitting pot~holes at a very high speeds. You may want to consider having it checked. It is one of the best SUV ever made. Here is another view of a wishbone but not yours. When you mention it does not ride as smooth and, especially quiet, there is a number of things possible.

1,255

DavidH25 all Range Rovers had the air suspension or air springs fitted, unles it was modified to strut and spring. Some landrovers used the macpherson strut but certainly not in the range rover series. It's a cross linked air suspension system that I know inside out as had worked on all range rovers and modified suspensions for off road.

Got ya. Like I say, I am not disputing you Darius. I just didn't do enough research, thanks for setting me straight. I thought I had it right, I try not to answer questions that I don't already know the correct answer. If I don't, I either research it thoroughly or stay away from it, but this time I blew it.

1,255

DavidH25 I'm exactly like you if I don't know I stay away or do some research, but the net is full of wrong information. A common mistake is to mix up land rover with range rover. Same concept of 4x4 but miles apart in technology. Have a great weekend.

Likewise Darius

93,745

I answered a Ranger Rover Sport question about access height yesterday. The vehicle has the ability to lower itself in two stages when coming in for a landing. It's function is time and speed dependent. Impressive but I assume it's expensive to maintain.

not mentioning names but if you are going to qualify yourself as knowing the components 'inside and out ' why not use your knowledge to ADDRESS THE ISSUE and answer the question?? the 2006 sport definitely comes with the air ride suspension and ALSO commonly bottoms out over bumps at about 50 - 60 k miles. I'm currently looking at swapping-out my FRONT ,LOWER CONTROL ARMS or at least the bushings , roughly $80 per side